Steel Panther's Satchel patch removed due to petition against name

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ImNotAhab, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

You're mistaken. "Reefer Madness" was an organized false propaganda movement with the intention of spreading misinformation to the public so as to discourage marijuana use and also legitimize the laws against it. "Video games cause violence" was a knee jerk reaction to the Columbine shootings, an attempt to explain why they happened that has since been debunked, more or less.

Flappydoodle and aesthyrian like this.
  2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I believe you're lumping together things that don't necessarily belong together. GamerGate was a proper movement that was abused by the media and painted as evil patriarchy to silence them. See my post about "demonizing the opposition so you don't have to listen to their arguments". The White Power movement is a proper fascist movement with no legitimation and the Alt-Right is mostly a bunch of trolls and teenagers with very few reasonable people inbetween. The only thing they have in common is varying percentage of vocal idiots. This isn't restricted to right wing movements by the way, that's something in every group of people. Those shrieking feminists with rainbow hair who demand the death of all white male opressors is actually a very small minority, yet they drive people away from feminism, men and women alike.

I know, I'm guilty of generalizing myself but in the end it does more harm than good.
    I see it as silly dudebro fun that doesn't hurt anyone but I guess that's up for debate. The Pussy Melter melts pussies about as much as the Randall Satan summons Satan in my book.
    Nice argument bro.

Ataraxia2320 and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:rofl:

BlackMastodon and AxeHappy like this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ You laugh, but I think a lot of people saw GamerGate as Sogradde described it, or at least at first. That's what I thought it was about at the time. Was it naive? Sure. Has everyone who saw it as such since abandoned that ship long ago? I hope so.

That's a major problem with "movements" over the internet. There's no way to know or read the intentions of the rest of the group. It's a crapshoot. You could easily think you're part of something that you're not. The group could actually be made up of completely separate groups that have nothing to do with eachother. There are definitely people who fall into a middle ground on certain topics that get lumped into one of the extreme groups, then have to jump ship when they realize the label they picked was wrong, then their views go completely ignored because there's no big extreme label for them to group their views under.

Edit: In other words, I think that you're both right, but on different levels.

5. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

From a person who has diabetes, I would have laughed it off. That's just me, though. But at least you see what the fuck I'm talking about. For every harmless joke, there's always someone to stand up and say "hey, what about me and MY feelings?" That's the point I'm getting at here.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The thing I took away from that is that all it took was a random comment from someone who is not likely any authority for you to decide that donuts are healthy now. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Reading through nine pages, and the only thing I see as offensive about the name of the pedal is how painfully obvious the joke is. Is this joke made at anyone's expense? Of course not, so this whole thing is just level thirteen stupid.

Ataraxia2320, FILTHnFEAR and vilk like this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If I remember correctly you're in the industry, so I'm sure you had a different take on the situation as it unfolded.

As an outside observer, it seemed pretty problematic from the get go.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've just had a weird thought that kind of conflicts with other things I've said/thought on this same subject.

I was reading an article about a guy who was getting in trouble for his use of slurs while playing e-sports. He's one of those people who shouts things like "f*ggot" at other players and on twitch. Besides thinking that acting that way is clearly very juvenile, my first thought was "I don't care how you speak when you're alone or with your 'bros' or what have you, but when you're on the world stage, it's on you to act professionally".

I suppose the same thing kind of applies here? Opinions of what is or isn't offensive or acceptable aside, I think I can agree at least that this band's shtick, and the marketing from TC is similarly juvenile and arguably unprofessional. I know that contradicts what I've already said. I'm ok with marketing delving into some juvenile territory. I can't say that I know how TC should/could handle marketing something that sort of delivers an "unprofessional looking" message from the beginning. I dunno.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I am, but I don't think I'm coming from a place of any authority on the matter or anything like that. My angle is that of someone who, at the time, wasn't a big fan of what feminism was bringing to the world of games, and as such thought that my views might align with the GG crowd - when clearly, in hindsight, I can say it never did. At least it doesn't align with what "gamergate" means now. I was naive. I think a lot of people were (and still are) naive. I do have some strong opinions about games (and music) media, but clearly mean no harm to any women in whatever industry.

If you go back into the history of some arguments I've gotten into on this site as well, I've also gotten lumped into the "MRA" crowd once or twice for a comment or two I made when I naively thought that "mens rights" was a positive thing, in the sense that "shouldn't everyone have rights?" without reaaaaaally understanding what I was talking about.

11. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Come on man, there's was no possible chance this was going to get by without being an issue. It's so blatant that I'd almost speculate that was the intention all along.

And for the millionth time, it's not about being offended or not by something (in the bigger picture). It's about simple respect and not sexualizing things unnecessarily, which just perpetuates the objectification of women.

Much bigger fish to fry - you're absolutely right about that. But IMO, that's part of why this is important - it doesn't matter if it's directed at someone in particular or not, it's about respect. And if people had more if it when it came to stuff like this, hopefully someone like that wound't be elected in the first place.

BlackMastodon and JohnIce like this.
  12. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

A) If you say so. I'm sure it would've happened at an Opeth show just as easily, it had nothing to do with a band singing an entire set about fucking groupies and bringing girls onstage to show their boobs. Must be a total coincidence.
    B) Of course it wasn't an accident, she was working and had to go sidestage. Triple A pass, she had no intention of interfering with the gig, she was just working. How is it "dubious", this isn't some hearsay rumour I read online, she's a friend and coworker of mine and I was there.

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I disagree with this though. That's what I mean - we've demonized sex. Sexuality is fine. It's ok. People like sex. Suggesting that this is the case doesn't objectify anyone. We're not "sexualizing things", women (and men) were sexual creatures long before we started marketing towards those facts. The suggestion that people want to get laid does not in any way suggest that this is their only purpose or value.

Edit: For the record, that doesn't mean that I particularly endorse the idea of marketing this way - I still think there's a layer of unprofessional-ness to it. But not because anything is "offensive" or anyone was "objectified". I just think the band is based on a juvenile premise to begin with, so it's kind of.... what did we expect exactly?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Ataraxia2320, vilk and Sogradde like this.
  14. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Respect is the wrong word. Respect just means either admiring somebody else, or, as it's more generally used, treating people the way you want to be treated, and when people think like that they assume that if it doesn't offend them, why should it offend anybody else. Empathy is a better word here.

Also, everything is sex. Prove me wrong, you can't.

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

But then again, calling someone a f*****, derivative from bundles of sticks to be burned in a fire, and calling an object a pussy melter, derivative of an imaginative description of something that is physically impossible, aren't exactly equal (or even comparable imho) in terms of offense.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Exchanger likes this.
  16. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

So you're not someone that's opposed to ethics in journalism? Because that was literally the entire point of the movement.

This is what Sogradde was referring to with his poorly-phrased defense of the movement.
    GamerGate was literally, 100%, a movement of people that were upset with the fact that the entire news media covering their hobby was colluding to push an agenda.
    This was confirmed by leaks over the course of the movement.
    It's unfortunate that the event that sparked the whole thing involved a female game dev that had slept with a journalist that then gave her (honestly, shit) game positive coverage.
    The outrage was not that she was a female developer. It was not because she slept around. It was not even pointedly directed at her.
    It was directed at the people writing the articles that didn't even give you so much as a half-assed full disclosure statement at the bottom of the goddamn article.

And since that was how it started, it gave them the perfect opportunity to pull the 'they just hate women' card and discredit an entirely legitimate movement. Does anyone remember #NotYourShield? Of course not.

Then before you know it, you have the liberal mainstream media reporting full blown lies and citing the corrupt games media as a source. It was a laughable reality check that singlehandedly made me realize what an absolute joke our social climate is.
    Look at what's happening with Jessica Price and ArenaNet right now, it's the same flavor of pathetic.

No h8 Ted dude I know you're a real straight shooter, but the level of misrepresentation that this movement got absolutely makes my blood boil.

Ataraxia2320, FILTHnFEAR and xzacx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.