Steel Panther's Satchel patch removed due to petition against name

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ImNotAhab, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I'll admit I haven't read all of this yet, but intend to but just wanted to throw my opinion in the mix.

No problem with Satchel or Steel panther but to say this name is part of their joke/image/them is well...a joke.

It could easily keep with 80's theme with some other ridiculous name that doesn't imply melting genitalia. Heck one of the biggest jokes about that era we still use is "it goes to 11" and that ain't offending anyone.

Whoever at TC let this go through without thinking it would raise some eyebrows is an idiot.

I'm not saying this cause it offends me, I'm just saying this cause one look at the name you can see how stupid a marketing move this was.

couverdure and xzacx like this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I honestly don't think it's as clear-cut as that. It's very difficult to judge right now what will or won't go over well. It's very possible that this could have all gone by with nobody noticing if it wasn't for the one or two people who happened across it and transformed it into a big deal. I'd be willing to bet this same kind of joke/marketing happens all of the time without anyone batting an eye, simply because it hasn't fallen in front of the right set of eyeballs yet.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

That's the thing; me, too! If it were a pedal called the "n***** hanger" or the "disabled cunt raper" I would be like that's fucked up...

but it's not called anything that extreme at all. I don't see anything objectively offensive about "pussy melter".

Some people say that there is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to offensiveness... but I would suggest that really what they mean is that there is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to evaluating the legitimacy of someone's feelings. However, I do think it's possible to be objective when evaluating if a phrase inherently denigrates or expresses hate toward a group.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Nah dude if I run a business and someone comes to me and says "lets call it pussy melter" they can get to...

It's not even that it's personally offensive to me but I can already see 1 how it is just in general a stupid fucking name and 2 how it's not going to be the smoothest of names to go down with everyone.

Again you can make a joke about lots of stuff from the 80's given how over the top everything was, but I don't see anyone going "aw love that pussy melting tone man" because most people would look at you like an idiot.

5. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Obviously not. If I'm a doctor who says the word "vagina" in a lecture at a medical school, clearly there's nothing sexual about it. Conversely, the name of this pedal implies that it's an irresistible aphrodisiac that will cause women to cream themselves by simply hearing it, to the obvious sexual benefit of the guitarist. It implies that it forcibly deprives women of their agency, which is the part that denigrates women.

Yes, knowing the context, it's clearly a joke. However, the problem is that just because it's a joke doesn't mean that some people won't take it seriously, like the people who were harassing women at Steel Panther concerts.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I sort of think that's the reaction this is getting, if you take the same concept but sprinkle some "come on guys, it's 2018" on top of it.
    I mean you basically said it yourself:
    In the framework of modern sensibilities.... yeah, that's what I assume people are taking away from this when they get offended by it.

To try to look at it from the other side, the internet has done a great job of highlighting situations where it's hard to separate the joke from sincere sentiments, and from the people who don't recognize the joke and take things at face value. Look at all of the cases of Nazi references that were "just a joke bro" and caused all kinds of outrage. Is this all that different? The implication being that maybe, while it's technically a joke, there's some kernel of sincerity to the expression. And I say that because:

I do know people who talk and speak and act this way. They don't mean it in a derogatory way, but I can't speak for their actual values, or how their speech gets interpreted by the people around them.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Evidently you missed the 1980's, then. :shrug: I can think of at least three guys who talked like that in the 80's. Incidentally, all three of them drove TramsAms with T-tops and smoked Marlboros.

Meanwhile, we have a guy running the USA, who thinks that the value of a woman is based solely on how she looks and thinks that sexual assault is a joke. So, let's take out our pent up aggression on satire bands and electronics manufacturers who make jokes that are directly offensive to no one in particular.

Exchanger and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  8. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Everything about the band is stupid, so it makes sense, I guess.
    I'm kinda undecided on this one. Steel Panther sucks, their schtick sucks, but it's obviously a joke all the time. On the other hand, Steel Panther sucks, their schtick sucks, and it sounds like they encourage assault-level behavior at their shows (and there are a lot of dumbshits who don't even know what parody or satire even mean take them literally and seriously) so I don't feel bad for them having to take some heat/one iota of responsibility for their gimmick. But, it is all jokes and performers aren't really responsible for how the public handles their output....
    I guess what I mean is, Steel Panther sucks, their schtick sucks, so why is anyone taking any of this seriously?

9. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

You ever even SEEN a pussy get melted son? It aint pretty.

Andrew Lloyd Webber likes this.
  10. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I feel like this is a stretch.

11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I disagree with the idea that making yourself appealing to the opposite sex somehow removes their agency.

12. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Large parts of metal culture are about violence, murder, war, torture, etc. There's themes of necrophilia and a quite popular amplifier that is literally called "Satan". All of that is A-okay in your book but "Pussy Melter" is where you draw the line?

This is the "video games cause violence" argument all over. No offense.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

:lol:

14. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

He means that the product is designed to literally dissolve female genitals into a liquid state.

Andrew Lloyd Webber likes this.
  15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Sorry, but this sounds as stupid as complaining a Manowar show is "too loud". Although I in no way condone the public putting their hands in the wrong place (well, at least without consent), the public should know what to expect when going in there. What's next, complaining about hardcore punk slam "dancing" ? Nerggal singing about Satan ? Kiss being egocentric a**holes ?

About that Jessica person, my bet is, she's after the money. Being offended has become a full time job these last years.

I'm actually amazed you're spending time at all about his trolling. Because you know, he's not going to read it anyway.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Flappydoodle likes this.
  16. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Scenario A: The incident with my friends was at a festival. We walked by one of the stages to see what's up as you do on a festival, girls got grabassed from all sides, panicked, we left.
    Scenario B: Same festival, my LD friend was working at a different stage. She had to stop by the Steel Panther stage to get something or talk to someone, just as the band were lining up girls to take their tops off on stage. She also got grabbed by the band, dragged out onstage and asked, through the PA, to show her boobs in front of a horde of thirsty dudes. She had fuckall clue what was going on and just wanted to get out of there.

Do you think, in either of these scenarios, that the girls "already knew what to expect"?

17. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Don't pretend that you know where I draw the line, because you clearly have no idea. :lol:

None taken. In regards to your argument, however, you're incorrect. "Video games cause violence" was simply an incarnation of "reefer madness," a cause of an older generation calling out supposed "problems" in a younger generation that don't really exist. The issue of the rights of minorities, conversely, definitely exists, and there's definitely opposition to it. Gamergate, the rise in the White Power movement, the Alt-Right... all movements which turn to a minority group and say "we are more important than you, you are less than us, and your existence means nothing to us beyond your capacity to serve us and be defined by us."

"Pussy Melter" is a monicker of a product for a person who has no regard for women beyond being a convenient hole to stick their dick in.

AxeHappy likes this.
  18. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Interesting take on it. "Everyone who disagrees is a troll!".
    But you're right, I united him with his bff Narad on my ignore list again. Not going to argue with children.

narad and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  19. Andromalia

You're not everyone, but you are a troll, yes.

20. Andromalia

A) Has nothing to do with the band
    B) is dubious, I have seen Steel Panther in a few festivals now, and I fail to see how someone can be grabbed and carried onstage without consent. It's not like you endup onstage at Wacken or Summer Breeze by accident.

Exchanger and FILTHnFEAR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.