Steel Panther's Satchel patch removed due to petition against name

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ImNotAhab, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

From UG:
    A petition was launched by a female guitarist called Jessica Fennelly to have Steel Panther guitarist Satchel's new TC Electronic pedal called "Pussy Melter" taken down.

Jessica said in the description:
    "As a Female Guitarist, I'm shocked by the poor marketing decisions found on TC Electronics website for their signature sound from 'Satchel' offensively named the 'Pussy Melter.' There is an entire page dedicated to this sound."

The post continues to quote the device's official description, which reads:

"Wanna make a physical impact on your audiences, with an epic delay tone? Then Satchel's got you covered! When we met up with Steel Panther's oh-so-humble guitarist, he had only one condition: that the tone be as wet as the ladies on the front row!
    "With 'Pussy Melter' that’s exactly what you get: a delay tone, which perfectly nails that heavy metal lead tone, whilst simultaneously ensuring that the janitor ain't going home early! So if glam rock guitar solos and wet floor signs are your idea of a good time, then 'Pussy Melter' for Flashback Delay is definitely the TonePrint for you!"

Jessica argued the following:
    "Not only is this description extremely vulgar and unnecessary, but TC Electronic went out of their way to actually pay someone to write a marketing description for this.
    "I can't imagine why a well-known company such as TC Electronic would feel that it's OK to use such an offensive, obviously sexist, and outdated marketing technique to sell a product. In addition, why would they choose to support an artist such as Satchel.
    "This TC Electronic product promotes and implies the ideas that:
    "A) The guitar world is dominated by heterosexual males and marketing for guitars/guitar products should be aimed at these males.
    "B) These males will decide to use their musical influence to sexually manipulate heterosexual women fans.
    "C) That the guitar world is excluded from the professional boundaries enforced by society to ensure that no product offends, excludes, or harms a particular group of people.

"I found this on the TC Electronic website, researching their products to write a review article. As a result, I declined this particular project due to the insensitive, backwards nature of the TC Electronic Page. Please help me get this removed from the TC Electronic Website and their products. Thank you."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...dal_called_pussy_melter_to_be_taken_down.html

I agree its a crass name but it is really in keeping with Steel Panthers long running persona/satire of 80s glam scene excess. To me it is a person getting mad at a joke which seems a bit pointless, especially considering the whole point of their gimmick is that you are supposed to roll your eyes at them. I think the implications put forward are quite a stretch but I would be interested to hear anyone else's opinions.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I bet Spaced has some pretty strong opinions about this. :lol:

3. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Satchel would be better served having his pedal built by Metasonix

budda and Hollowway like this.
  4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Did TC consider sending her an email that said, “It’s satire.”? Steel Panther is literally on the exact same side of the fence as this lady. They choose satire to make fun of the 1980’s musical machismo. It’s the equivalent of someone being offended by Stephen Colbert’s persona on The Colbert Report.

5. wat

wat SS.org Regular

lol at "obviously sexist"

Just another example of feminists looking for any method possible to expand the boundaries of their "safe space" into everyone else's lives, business, etc. Nothing more, nothing less.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

To paraphrase the top quote on UG: "she's about 40 years too late considering there's a litany of pedals named big muff, hairy muff, etc"

*shhhh* quit trying to use logic. People are idiots. The colbert report proved that, because idiot liberals were offended by it, and idiot conservatives thought it was serious, just like Team America.

7. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

It is exactly as crass and misogynistic as Steel Panther, which as @Hollowway aptly observes, is completely tongue in cheek.

In case anyone stumbles on this and is not familiar with the Steel Panther catalog.

8. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Damn, I support her 100%. Sexist "jokes" is just sexism excused, it's exactly as fucking wrong. Saw Steel Panther with some female friends once and they said it was the most threatening concert experience they'd had, because the band basically made thousands of sweaty metalheads turn on them and start harassing them on the spot, thinking they were in on the "joke". I have another friend, a professional lighting engineer, who worked on a stage when they played and their crew thought she was there to show her tits to the crowd and dragged her to the front of the stage. Fuck them and their gimmick. Sincerely.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

Steel Panther is the greatest 80s band that never played in the 80s.

cwhitey2 and isispelican like this.
  10. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Hey now. Eric at Metasonix makes some killer pedals for their specifically destructive purpose. But if Metasonix released a pedal with the name "Pussy Melter", no one would bat an eye. (Probably because legitimately no one aside from analog synth nerds even know that Metasonix exists. :lol:)

11. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

literal who

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Huge Steel Panther fan here. But sheesh that’s just lazy marketing.

On a personal level I know that I think it’s hilarious to have a pedal that basically says “engage pussy melting”.

But I’m a guy laughing from the comfort of his home at a dumb joke.

I’m not a woman that has to deal with random men’s bullshit every day. And slapping that across the actual pedal, it’s lazy comedy.

Sucks for anyone who sees this without knowing the context. I would 100% understand why people would find it sexist.

Tl;dr - it’s SUPER crass, like more than I would have expected steel panther to be able to get away with on a licensed product. So TC electronics better be willing to deal with the backlash, it’s kind of obvious this would happen.

Edit: still funny AF tho.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  13. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

Apparently she's not in on the Steel Panther gig.

I feel she's overreacting a bit. Is it sexist, perhaps. But her points....A) Is probably true, but there are more women players these days. However, I don't see why a company wouldn't market to their strongest audience. B) Well, I'm sure a lot of folks who play have gotten laid because they played songs for women they liked in the past. I assume that means we used our musical influence etc. and finally C) I find laughable, really.

I still think some people take certain things way too seriously. If she made a patch called D**k Destroyer, I don't think male guitarists would be up in arms about it.

Yash94 likes this.
  14. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

She's proclaiming that this is all about giving another weapon to heterosexual men over heterosexual women in the audience... Is she ignoring the market of female guitar players and lesbian audience members? It's for them too. Girl power!

Yash94 and Flappydoodle like this.
  15. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

I feel like at the moment I'm a man dealing with some random woman's bullshit.

Yash94, vilk, SDMFVan and 5 others like this.
  16. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Would she have still complained if it was a tremolo/wah pedal called "The Throbbing Cock"? Likely, I imagine.

17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, you bring up a good point. As a white male, it’s easy for me to laugh at the joke. And if we all just laughed at the joke, and were truly “post-gender” then it would be completely harmless. But, I can see how some people would use it as an excuse to be misogynistic. In truth, TC Electronics handled it well. But, I still would like to know if those complaining about it really know SP is satire. And, I think the first email should have been to TC Electronics explaining her view. It’s exceptionally difficult to know where to draw the line on these things. Like was pointed out, “Big Muff” has been around for years. As have waaaay worse names. So TC may not have realized the hole they were digging themselves into. And, I’d be willing to bet that there ARE female employees working there.

Veldar and JohnIce like this.
  18. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Its a joke from a joke band, have people lost their sense of humor?

19. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Even if Steel Panther is satire, it's dated as fuck. There's much better humour out there other than "Blow my load at the Glory Hole." Good on TC for being sensible on this one.

20. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I would agree with you on this if Steel Panther weren't so exaggerated in the sexism department as to make it abundantly clear that this is meant to discourage people from thinking like that. I mean 80's glam bands, while engaging in sexist behavior would never openly admit something like that. Whoever takes this at face value has a lot of issues to work out themselves. I'm not saying the examples you said are ok and they should not be criticized. I do enjoy their music, I laugh at their lyrics for the excess and the "stupidity" and "shallowness" they portray but if they'd be serious even slightly I'd be with you 100%. Now if that makes me sexist and as fucking wrong then I guess I have a lot of apologies to convey to my wife and female friends and coworkers.

EDIT: However I will agree they've overdone the joke. I think they should have stopped after the second record. They could have just made a serious band and write the same type of music but with serious lyrics. Or even better a parody of their parody band becoming serious and leaving behind their decadent lives for whatever religion had them enlightened!

Exchanger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.