Starting over again... help me rebuild my recording gear.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Wolfos, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Good to know man, So it seems pretty obvious people with Macs still buy a separate DAW if they're smart.

2. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Spend the most money on a good PC with at least 16 GB ram, i7 quad core CPU and a nice SSD. Second, a nice audio interface, I've heard only good things about RME and you can find them used for a decent price. Monitors are important but I think some decent monitors like Yamaha HS7 are perfectly fine, get some nice headphones as well to check low end or just for another mix source. Fourth advice is getting Reaper as your DAW, Steven Slate Drums or Supderior Drummer and some nice AMP Vst. I like the Toneforge stuff, especially the Jason Richardson version.

3. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Checked one box today, bought a new MacBook pro, i7 quad core, 16gb ram, SSD. Crazy discount.

schwiz and KingAenarion like this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno where you got that idea from. I'm sure lots of people use it, but there's far from any consensus. DAW choice comes down to individual needs, preferences and workflow- since the majority of what's out there can all get the job done, and do it well, just with different sets of tools, layouts, etc.

5. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Where'd you get it?

A lot of Mac people use Logic, which is a Mac-only software code base. Since you bought a Mac, I think Logic becomes one to consider.

6. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

By consensus I just meant that several people mentioned it as a recommendation not that it's the #1 DAW on the market as I understand everyone is different so are their personal preferences.

Regardless, I just went on the presonus website today to look at Studio One 3 and it turns out I purchased Studio One Artist back in 2010! So upgrading to studio 3 was only $50 so I've now marked off 2 items from my list.

Next I'm going to see if I can get my old Superior Drummer 2 downloaded again and how much the upgrade is.

7. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Best Buy, in Ontario, the worker had no idea he even had it and was actually a little annoyed that I got it instead of him haha.