Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by StevenC, Jan 24, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

So any ideas on what Benicio Del Toro's character is going to be like?

My speculation (since no one asked):

Snoke is revealed, in a twist no one saw coming, to be Snoke, and not someone else from the OT or EU.
    Del Toro will play a new villain. Too keep there from being too many villains, something happens to one of the other villains.
    We will learn more about the backstories of Rey and Kylo, but some things will be still left unanswered, and some answers will just leave more questions, but, overall, I think we'll be left with a much more solid backstory.
    C3PO and R2D2 will appear in the film.
    The General Leia character will receive some sort of epic send-off.

Or else Snoke will be revealed to be Maz Kanata, who is really Jar Jar who is Darth Plagueis. Rey is actually a transgender clone of Palpatine, who kills Luke in revenge for the Death Star, thus the title. Then the last movie will be a struggle between Snoke/Kanata/JarJar/Plagueis and Rey/Palpatine. :lol: Well, that's what it'll be if the fan theories are correct.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I dunno. I almost hope we don't see any of his personality in it, just because that would mean Colin Trevorrow might actually be allowed to have input on IX, which might mean we'd get something as terrible as Jurassic World!!

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This is my greatest fear for Star Wars. I don't know how he got the job.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

There have been 2 occasions on separate ends of the spectrum where I've been proven wrong with judging by the director.

Gareth Edwards really made me worry about Rogue One. Monsters was less of a movie but more of an exhibition of good special effects on a budget and Godzilla 2014 was 10 minutes of awesome tailed at the end of a boring movie, which funny enough, barely had Godzilla in it. Then Rogue One came along and exceeded all my expectations. Granted that it's not a perfect Star Wars movie, but certainly the best from the director in my book.

On the far end of the spectrum was Duncan Jones. 2 home runs in the form of Moon and Source Code, I was really excited that he was directing the Warcraft movie. He certainly hit all the right notes and pandered to the cries of whatever formulas people thought could make a great video game to film adaptation. Except Warcraft sucked. Can't win 'em all I guess...

In Rian Johnson's case, count me as excited. I loved Looper, and I'm going to consider this as a similar act as how a change of director from the previous Star Wars instalment gave us a right kind of story rich sequel it deserves.

5. wankerness

Monsters and Godzilla were both good and demonstrated an incredibly unique sense of scale between humans and huge things, but they both had wooden characters. Rogue One fit right in with that!

Warcraft is a weird one. I still haven't watched it. I've heard a lot of people describe it as a noble failure, as you pretty much just said. So, who knows. We'll see what his upcoming one is like.

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

There was a lot of studio interference in Warcraft, if you check out the early trailers it looked like a very different film. Just like Rouge One.

It was good and bad. Quite messy and the casting was awful but the CGI is the best I've seen. The CGI on the orcs is eerily realistic. They way they move and show expressions is crazy. There is a great example in the first 5 minutes if you don't want to watch the full film.

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

There is no way I can handle 11 months of speculation. Disney is smart, they know how to make great films when they need to. This is a situation where they need to make another great film. I liked "The Force Awakens." The people who saw it in theaters 7 - 8 times seemed to hate it. Like I said, Disney is smart.

I will admit, a trailer would be nice. It just so happens the Super Bowl is two weeks from now. I think Disney will show something of significance during the Super Bowl, perhaps after the Halftime Show. :idea:

8. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I'm assuming the red title card means that either Rey or Kylo will flip flop. Revenge of the Sith was Anakin going to the dark side, Return of the Jedi was his redemption back to the light. I think it would be cool to see Rey go to the dark side, and Kylo turn back to the light. It'd be nice to have a female villain.

Additionally, since Daisy Ridley said she thought it was 'very obvious' who her parents are, I'm assuming that they'll go the simplest route and make her Luke's daughter. I'd prefer it if she were Obiwan's grandchild, or even Palpatine, but her being a Skywalker is definitely the easiest route. And no, I don't think for a second they'd be dumb enough to have her be Kylo's little sister. That would be offensively dumb.

I'm curious if they'll have Snoke turn out to be something really interesting, like something from beyond the outer rim. Having an opening to explore outside threats could lead to more Expanded Universe stuff to be brought in.

9. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I mean, really, I could devise titles for starwars for free. After "Attack of the clones", this ? Come on....

Warcraft wasn't a bad movie, it got bad press because the expectations were over the roof and Metzen retconned his own stuff so many times every aspect of the story would ruffle some fan feathers. As a former WoW player I found it pretty fun, some effects people usually disliked were pretty much as you see them in the game. The movie however didn't have that overall "Blizzard quality" over it.

My bet is he's Vader's majordomo we see in Rogue 1 in a scene that would otherwise be utterly usueless.

10. wankerness

What are you talking about? I don't remember it very well, but I thought the pointless scene with Vader was just him hanging out with his mask off in his castle not doing anything.

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

When Vader's in the bacta tank, some guy in a robe walks into the room to let Vader know he has a guest. There is speculation that this guy in the robe is Snoke.

One of the guys who is on the Lucas Film Star Wars canon team said that Snoke is not in Rogue One in any shape or form and has nothing to do with that film.

12. wankerness

Ah jeez. Movie conspiracists are really, really nuts sometimes. I suppose the priest in Little Mermaid was also supposed to have a boner and that whispering voice in Aladdin really said "teenagers take off your clothes."

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Why the hell does everyone keep insisting Snoke is somebody other than Snoke?!

I find these fan theories entertaining: Dath Plagueis is JarJar, Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter, Snoke is Sideous. None of them make any damn sense when you pick them apart, yet some folks are willing to defend the theories until the bitter end, regardless.

14. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

there's this one youtube channel called Stupendous Wave that bathes in the glory of terrible fan theories and dresses them up with a production level that makes you think he's taking very seriously... at least that was what i thought until i figured out that he was taking it that seriously.

i had to block his channel on my account because it got so stupid. especially when he used titles like "such and so confirms so and so is this and that"

15. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I doubt that scene was supposed to be anything more than showing that Vader had servants, and was obviously still never healed and needed continuous bacta tank use to stay alive.

What I more meant about Snoke was that I hope he's something unique, something like Yoda. Some species/race of beings that can provide some interesting branches for continued SW movies to expand with. The Extended Universe stuff had a bunch of great ideas, such as races of creatures coming from beyond the Outer Rim and causing a ....storm. It'd be interesting to see Disney set up an entirely new SW series outside of the current Episode I-IX Skywalker saga.

There'll likely be a teaser trailer released at this years Celebration in April, and I'm really hoping we get to see Benicio Del Toro's character. I'm excited that he'll be in a SW movie, big fan of that guy!

16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

speaking of Snoke theories

for onec I would love to see that the whole meaning/plot is a complicated backstory thing surprise reveal crazy theory that happens.

but....

this is hollywood, so no matter what, they are going to keep things dumb down for regular people, so "the last Jedi" would mean Rey becoming one and Luke dying or something.

Even the thing "Jedi" meaning plural form its too complicated for some folks out there. To be saying "The last Jedi its actually a plural sentence so there would be more than one" blah blah, its too "deep" for normal Hollywood/Disney to be explaining to everyone and have the constant discussion. This kinds of things are meant to be simple. Specially when you take into account different languages, for example in spanish yes, the word Jedi can be left in there, but the words that come before "the last" we dont have a neutral word for it, or either you write it down in singular format, or in plural. So if you really want to know if the main tittle refers to a single Jedi or to many just have a look and the name of the movie in different languages

which btw its "El Ultimo Jedi", referring to a singular Jedi, not a plural sentence, you could argue that it can be still used as a plural because the word Jedi, but that would be a big gramatical mistake in the sentence, it would have to be "Los Ultimos Jedi" or something like that

17. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

"The droid will soon be delivered to The Resistance leading them to the last Jedi. If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise." - Supreme Leader Snoke, The Force Awakens

I think the creepy giant laid out the plotline in his first line. Otherwise...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradoxes_of_material_implication

Personally, I think Disney wants to make a good movie that earns back some more of the $4.2 billion they paid George Lucas.

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

so meaning the last Jedi is Luke, and the "the new Jedi would rise", meaning like a new form of Jedi? like a new wave of them, starting with Rey I guess.

IF that so, then the title of the movie implies its going to be about Luke, which would help to explain the whole why hes there, whats been doing ect. But to be honest Im tired of it, I love the new saga is about new ppl, I dont want to see this new trilogy been back to be all about Luke

19. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

This is will probably drive you crazy, but yeah. When referring to Luke, Snoke is using Jedi in its singular form. When Snoke is referring to "the new Jedi," he is using Jedi in its plural form.

The ratio of new characters to old characters definitely favors the youth. I think everything will be just fine. :coffee:

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

But currently Luke is the most important character left in Star Wars. Until we know who Rey is, he's the only Skywalker left. We've got Ben Solo-Organa and Leia Organa, but one won't be in episode 9 and the other just proves this is still a series about Skywalker lineage.