Stainless frets and pinches

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by feraledge, Jan 19, 2019.

1. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I have one guitar with SS frets. I love it, those frets bend amazingly. I have played other guitars with SS frets, but haven't had time to see if my theory is potentially correct, but I notice that on that guitar, I feel like I have to work a bit more on pinch harmonics, only noticeable on wound strings. Still get them, but I feel like it's the only one of my guitars where I have to think about it. Scale, strings, everything pretty much the same spec-wise, fretwork on this guitar is immaculate. But is it possible that the smoothness of the fret makes it a little harder to get those wonderful squeals as easily?
    Am I the only person who has this issue? Maybe I'm just crazy.

2. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

Ive always struggled on nailing pinches on plain strings as it is, so I would be interested to see if it really is harder with SS frets.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire HAIL SATIN

I've always found that pinches are more tied to the overall amount of gain used, picking location and of course, pick technique. How you pick is a big part of it ime.
    Fret material doesn't matter for squeals ime, I can make my ss fretted guitars and non-ss fretted guitars squeal no prob.

4. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I never noticed a difference with nickel frets as far as pinch harmonics. I largely prefer SS for many reasons though.

Wolfhorsky and AxeHappy like this.
  5. soldierkahn

do you have any advice for getting pinches out of the plain strings? 99% of the time I use a wound 3rd, so only my 1st and 2nd strings are the only plains but it would be nice to be able to get pinches out of them too.

6. austink

austink SS.org Regular

I have never had that issue. My guitar with ss frets is arguably the one I can get to squeal the easiest.

I dont see how a ultra smooth fret would affect producing a harmonic down at the pick.

AxeHappy likes this.
  7. feraledge

I tend to exaggerate the pinches on lower strings, bending with the harmonic. Straight pinch, I get what you're saying, I just didn't think about the fact that I do this till you mentioned that, funny enough.
    It could just be a thing, I have no idea. I just don't have enough experience with SS frets to say one way or the other, but in this case it would be the sole variable. Just a thought...

8. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I've never noticed any difference between nickel, evo or stainless. May just be an, "in your head," thing.

9. soldierkahn

dont feel bad. ive always believed that the strings have more space between them across the fretboard on a Prestige RG as opposed to a production model RG. Iev made the measurements of the Edge III, Edge Zero, the Edge Zero II, and the Edge LoPro, and found only a minute difference between the spacings on the EZ & LoPro and the EZII and EdgeIII. The difference is soooo slight, but it FEELS like a gigantic difference to me.

10. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Between my guitars, I find the harmonics to be reached easier depending on the PU. E.g. with the EVO 2 everything squeals a lot more than on my two guitars with Titans.

11. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Do your guitars happen to have differend bridges? Like fixed bridge vs trem? I've noticed that pinch harmonics come much easier on my trem equipped guitar than on my fixed bridge guitar with otherwise identical specs. I attribute this to the differend picking hand positions I tend to have on fixed bridges versus tremolo guitars.

12. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

I totally agree that "feeling" is there on MIJ RGs.

soldierkahn likes this.
  13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Same answer than on many other topics unfortunately: I do have SS frets guitars, but I'm unable to say where the difference comes from, plus they usually don't even have the same tunings and strings.
    They're easier on some guitars than others but I can't pinpoint a cause. I generally have an easy time doing them because my pick technique has the pick almost at finger level, my index nail regularly gets in trouble because of that.

14. Jamey36

Jamey36 SS.org Regular

I have not noticed a difference with fret material.I do find that they are much easier with active pickups versus passives.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've refretted a few guitars with stainless steel frets and there was no change in tone, pinch harmonics or otherwise.

soldierkahn likes this.
  16. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

The only one sure thing I know is that looser strings make them easier. I once tried the zakk Whywhyldiiiiioooe string set and it was overall very loose (it's like a 60-10 6 string set) in the low strings (don't remember what I tuned it to, though) and it was pretty easy to do monstrous vibrato harmonics like he does all the time.

17. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

or an "in your technique" thing. I find no difference in pinching any note, any fret, any string, wound or not. I'd be very, very surprised if the fret material is choking your pinches rather than your own technique.

AxeHappy likes this.
  18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Dig in harder with the right hand. However hard you normally do it just sit and drill it a bit. I do the same thing and on certain guitars I find I really need to get my thumb in there. If the pinch isn’t juicy AF and accompanied by some vibrato then it didn’t count as a pinch harmonic imo, lol.

19. feraledge

Yeah, it could be in my head, as I figured would be an option. I use smaller pics, Jazz III varieties, guitar has a Floyd like the one next to it, same scale, strings and tuning and I keep my set ups pretty identical. It’s not my technique, I have no problem squealing shit excessively, I’m just saying I have to try harder on this particular guitar. And I do a bend with the pinch on lower strings, so that could be touched on by fret smoothness, but I think we can close the book on this mystery. It’s in my head.

20. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.

I always just dig in extra hard, and you have to have a lighter touch with the thumb than on the wound strings.

soldierkahn likes this.