SSD newb questions

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Señor Voorhees, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Simple questions with surely simple answers. Did a small amount of googling but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Essentially, I'm looking to get a small SSD. Ideally I'll migrate my OS to it, but I was wondering if I could do it differently. If I install a game, or perhaps sample libraries, would those games and sample libraries benefit with quicker load times, even if the OS is installed on an HDD.

If I could get away with it, I'd actually like to install a few games on the SDD without installing the OS to it. (for the sake of saving space.) I'm perfectly fine with what I'm sure is a slow boot time, but I'd like certain games to load a bit quicker, (think Overwatch) or perhaps have an SSD dedicated strictly to Superior Drummer samples.

I'm aware bigger is obviously better, but I really just want to dip my toes at the moment. See if I even feel it's worth upgrading to a larger SSD. (I've got enough Amazon points to get a free 120gb SSD to try, so I'm curious to give it a go.)

Thanks in advance, folks.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO small drives (or partitions, etc), of any variety, are the bane of my existence. I appreciate the benefits of using an ssd- both for the OS and for working files- but running out of space and having to shuffle stuff around is a great way to ruin a day and break whatever your workflow might be.

3. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

Take it from someone who has "dipped their toes" in SSDs. The speed benefits of having your OS installed (and files you need quickly) on it are enough reason to switch. Now when I go back to a PC with the OS on an HDD, I can feel my body aging because of the speed difference. I too started with a 120GB SSD and it's well worth the money.

However, I agree with TedEH. While a 120GB SSD is enough for an OS and some games, that space fills up quicker than you think. Then, in the end you'll be forced to upgrade the SSD size. So you would be pretty much be wasting your money on a 120GB SSD.

My general recommendation: Save your Amazon points. Get a (quality) 500GB or more SSD and install both your OS and games/libraries. That way, your question (and headaches) aren't relevant anymore.

AxeHappy, takotakumi and TedEH like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Don't waste your time with smaller ssds. 500gb would be the minimum I would use, but if you want a drive for both your games/libraries and your OS, I'd say go with a 1tb. I have a 500gb boot drive ssd just for my OS/other stuff, and another 1 tb ssd only for gaming. Games will definitely boot way faster on an ssd. An ssd is super handy for big games with lots of loading screens (fallout 4, witcher 3, etc). The boot time for my OS is probably 3 seconds if I restart. It's damn fast.

5. Señor Voorhees

Thanks folks! I'll save up some more and go bigger. I'm not even terribly concerned about running games off of it, but the OS would be nice, as would the countless sample libraries I have. If I get a small SSD, it'll be strictly for the OS, and if I want to put actual stuff on it, I'll get at least a 500gb.

Thanks again for the insight! Very much appreciated. I'll just trust that the speed increase is worth it and save up my points another couple months and snag a larger drive for free.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I have two 256gigs. The second is for games alone. I end up juggling installs all the time, though I tend to leave things installed "in case" I want to play them. When you have some modern games pushing 60+ gigs, and others like Skyrim that start smaller but you might throw 60+ gigs of mods at, even 256 begins to feel cramped.

It's definitely worth it though. Think less about load times. They'll be improved, but they are intermittent annoyances. Think about the fact that many modern games don't even have load screens, because they are streaming the data in the background. The SSD helps tremendously here to avoid any hitches as you move through big open worlds that are constantly reading your harddrive.

7. Señor Voorhees

I actually ended up building a completely new computer. Got a low-mid sized ssd for the os and a game or two with the option of installing a second ssd later. (and 6tb of hdd space split between two drives.)

Really stoked to put this thing together since it's my first from scratch build. My last computer was a cyberpower build, and the one I bought as an emergency replacement when my mobo fried was a dumb cheap omen desktop. Really interested to see how the 7700k performs. The only non-new part for this is the 1070 which Ive been using for a few months now.