Spraymax 2K warning.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by pondman, Nov 12, 2017.

1. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

This stuff gives a fantastic finish if used correctly but is also very deadly if not given respect.

I found another problem while using it this week. To get a good result with rattle cans most people stand the can in hot water prior to use which gives a much finer splutter free spray due to the pressure build up caused by the heat. Its something I've always done and never had any problems.

I've never done this with Spraymax 2K as its always been OK straight out of the can for me.
    It was a little colder than normal that day so I thought I'd stand the 2K in hot water in the kitchen for a few minutes to build up some pressure, big mistake ! Spraymax has a push button underneath the can to release the catalyst that gives the 2 part mix. I'd already pressed the button and shook the can. A few seconds after I immersed it in the water the mix shot out of the bottom of the can into the water and all over the kitchen :facepalm:
    I had no protection on and grabbed it and threw it out of the door. It had gone all over Mrs Ponds mobile :flowers: and all over the walls and appliances :erk:

When I immersed the can the heat must have heated the Aluminium can faster than the valve causing the leak. Once I threw the can outside it stopped leaking and I could still use what was left in the can.

Lesson learned.

aesthyrian and AxeHappy like this.
  2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Woohoo! I also use the warm water method, but I only use acrylic at home. 2K finishes are outsourced to a paint shop as I don't want the hassle that comes with it. Sets me back by 350 Euro per guitar though, so I've only used it for three build so far... :flame:

pondman likes this.
  3. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Pondman's threads are getting more British. I do like it, but I feel like one needs to be more careful with poisons that permanently reduce the efficiency of your lungs, for fear of going Darth Vader.

4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Jesus. You've not had a great week for shop safety. Glad you and Mrs Pond survived unscathed. Sorry about her phone.

aesthyrian and AxeHappy like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

after I'm done with my next 2 cans of 2k I'm switching back to tru oil or something. I hate spraying guitars/ dealing with all the ppe, plus it's too cold to spray for months at a time here.

6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Yeah, this whole winter thing is a pain. I've had good luck spraying water based stuff with a cheap hvlp gun and a homemade spray booth. And actually, brushing the stuff on isn't bad either. But If you ever want to try out the spray stuff, pm me.

7. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Damn, you been walking under ladders all week or something, Pondman?

So glad I asked you last night for your advice; I guess my winter spraying fears weren't over-exaggerated. That said, I had recently heard it was best NOT to heat up 2K cans or only lukewarm at most. I think it was on an auto body forum. More than likely they weren't talking about avoiding that membrane issue you had, though.

Glad you're all right other than a messed up phone and kitchen, but that sounds like a hell of a mess to clean up - probably the one time you wished it wasn't fast-curing 2K! My missus would murder me if I had such a mishap haha.

I think I'm still gearing up for a spray this week if I can get the conditions you described in the other thread, but KnightBrolaire is right about our shitty northern weather making Tru Oil really appealing again.

8. KnightBrolaire

yeah it's worse here in MN than you guys normally get in england, we tend to average around -26C to 5C from Dec-Feb. Every winter there are at least a couple days where Antarctica is warmer than MN... Fun fact: it's usually about as cold here as it is in anchorage alaska during the winter. I just store my 2k cans in my house and take em outside to spray for a bit, haven't felt the need to warm em in water yet.

pondman likes this.
  9. pondman

She managed to clean it up quickly and just gave me a mild death stare and a few choice words about where the workshop ends and the kitchen starts :hug:

I rarely use tru oil these days , I find Danish oil penetrates more and is much easier to use.

I left her to it and said I was going for a lye down because my hand was hurting, I'm milking this injury all I can, the cat came with me to avoid the flak :lol:

cwhitey2, Sogradde and Walshy like this.
  10. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Quick 2K question - again! Is there any harm in building up very thin coats or would you recommend doing about five or six medium coats? I know it dries rock hard so I'm not so worried about burning through when sanding and buffing.

11. KnightBrolaire

Is danish oil pretty hard wearing? that's part of the reason I like the tru-oil, it seems to be relatively durable (at least for my needs).

12. pondman

First few coats thin, then the rest as you like if your confident the weather conditions are ok. I do no more than 3 to 4 coats per session.

I'd put on par with tru oil but I only use my guitars at home. Its really easy to touch up as well as it doesn't tend to streak like Tru Oil does.

13. KnightBrolaire

hmm guess I'll have to try some. thanks for the info pondman

pondman likes this.
  14. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Step. Away. From. The. Shop. :D

aesthyrian and pondman like this.
  15. neotronic

neotronic SS.org Regular

You're making us worried lately.

Despite that, I laughed pretty hard reading your post :)

pondman likes this.