Some memes for SS.org (Rules Posted in OP -- Please Read)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vampiregenocide, Jan 14, 2011.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Your typo or the shirt's?

Hollowway likes this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Then you must have a lot of amps dude

[​IMG]

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

o_o wow and I thought necrophagist was crazy for playing with 4 4x12 with his engl

4. bostjan

Meh, I could do my own rendition of Sunn O))) with just one really loud amp. I can even wrap myself in a bedsheet and fire up the old fog machine. If you want the ultra-budget version of one of their concerts, just plug in a practice amp and set the gain to one billion, plug a cable into the amp and leave the other end of the cable sitting on the floor for fifteen minutes.

I really don't see the appeal of going to a concert and listening to feedback for hours on end. I have a suspicion that drugs need to be involved somehow in order to make the experience enjoyable. I'll pass.

You don't see most bands really using a lot of stage volume anymore. I think that it used to kind of be the appeal of rock shows in the 70's, but then everybody was losing their hearing, so stage volume went back to sub-ear-bleed levels in the 80's and 90's. Now (well, more like 15 years ago), it's made an underground comeback. I've been to a couple of metal shows locally where there was one guitarist running multiple high gain amps into huge speaker cabinets, and, even with decent ear plugs, I still had ringing in my ears afterward. In one case, my skin actually hurt afterward, from being literally pushed back by the sound pressure.

Hollowway likes this.
  5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Hey man, you cannot play a Sunn O))) tune by leaving a cable unplugged lying on the ground, the songs aren't only just feedback, and I wasn't on drugs (unless you count beer) when I thoroughly enjoyed their performance.

It's my understanding that they actually have to practice a lot to get everything to sound just right live. And it did sound extra good live--way better than listening to a CD in my car.

That feeling of being pushed by sound pressure is sorta what their gigs are all about. The ceiling at Thalia Hall started crumbling. I bet the owner was freaking the fuck out.

I totally understand if that doesn't sound appealing to you though. My wife didn't like it either :lol:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  6. bostjan

Everybody has his or her own bag, of course.

I do have to call you out on your comments, though. I mean, how on earth is it necessary to practice a lot in order to leave your guitars on top of your amps and walk off stage?

I mean, I don't really want to knock anyone's artistry, since, well, whatever Sunn O))) does is certainly cool enough for them to have gobs of fans, and they do certainly push some limits, but you can't get me to believe that they are doing anything that requires anywhere near the level of technical skill to pull off as what the average metal band does.

Skill =/= goodness, of course....however, leaving your amps on EXTRA LOUD and walking off stage to let your excessive stage volume overwhelm the audience (and the structural integrity of the venue) with feedback =/= anything that requires a lot of practice.

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

idk man it was I myself who made a joke about Sunn O))) practice when I was told by another user on SSO that they practice a lot

and as I wrote before, they only did the walk off stage thing for 5 minutes, and it was after they had gotten everything just right for them to do that. 5 minutes of show that was at least 2 hours

I can't comment on how difficult or easy it is to get that many amps to sound just right, as I've never even owned a tube amplifier or 4x12 cab. I know that I personally don't have an easy time replicating feedback on demand, so to me it seems like something you might need to practice. But there's more to it than that. There's some sounds that the band makes that I don't understand exactly what it is. There's this part in Cry For the Weeper that sounds like air molecules getting ripped into atoms, and they pulled it off live and it sounded so gnarly that I started yelling. Not that I could even hear myself.

If it weren't for that you seem very opposed to the band I'd tell you to go to one of their shows and see for yourself!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  8. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

mine, woopsies! i hate typing on tablets

9. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

I think the practice isn't for the technique, it is for playing together: not so easy without drums and with a note every 30 seconds

I saw them once and they were insanely precise and heavy

vilk likes this.
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Hurts my brain a little bit to read their AUDIO PHILOSOPHY. Sounds like something a high school kid would dream up. I mean, I get it.... but I don't get it. As in, I understand what they're going for, but it doesn't appeal to me. And I don't need my tinnitus getting any worse. I've been in a room with a single triple recto cranked and it's horribly unpleasant. Basically all you hear is white noise at that point. There's not much musicality to it anymore. Sure, it's "cool", and at that scale I'm sure it sounds unique- if you can even hear it at all.

Honestly, it's not hard at all with some amps. Any 100w tube amp I've ever tried cranked way up is basically deafening and will feedback if you so much as look at it funny. Some amps are harder NOT to feedback.

11. bostjan

Easy. When I put my guitar on top of my amp, you do the same. When I walk back out on stage, you do the same. How much practice does that require? None.

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

yeah well all the shit you like is even dumber and easier so there I win

BIG ND SWEATY and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  13. bostjan

What a silly comment in response to me pointing out another silly comment in defense of someone else who pointed out another silly comment. Silliness level 5000 reached. Troll mode unlocked. Congrats.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I used to mock the band hard for years before drone music clicked for me. My high school side project grindcore band even had a song called O))) God I Hate You. It was Boris' album Feedbacker that finally made it all make sense. You should give it a spin!

15. bostjan

I'll check it out this afternoon. Thanks.

For the record, I really do not dislike Sunn O))), I just take them at face value.

vilk likes this.
  16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

The trick to enjoying music so slow is to not be waiting for the next part. Also no skipping ahead!

17. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

You either "get" Sunn, or you don't, but you're objectively oversimplifying what they do. If it doesn't appeal to you, cool, that's fine, but to call what they do easy is far from the truth. It's a lot more difficult than you think.

18. bostjan

Me?
    How? I was taking a quote right from someone who was relating his concert experience in the thread (vilk).

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^he's talking about you saying that Sunn is musically the same as listening to an unplugged practice amp or that there's no practice necessary for their live performance

20. bostjan

I thought "ultra-low budget" qualifiers made clear the tongue-in-cheek nature of my joke. I also thought it was clear that my "no practice" comment was directed at the act of leaving guitars on top of amplifiers.

I apologize if anyone was offended by that. Sometimes ideas sound crystal clear when I read them back after I type them out, but nothing can be typed out with accurate vocal inflection. :)