Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by zarg, Nov 27, 2017.

1. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not very excited to be honest. Yeah, it looks like it's probably a great no-nonsense guitar, but that's it. I kinda like the stealth-look, but not enough to awaken any GAS.

3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

When I heard Jolly-Ola-Englund was announcing “another guitar”, I didn’t think it would be the model name! Wakka Wakka!

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Looking too much these stealthy and bad ass looking guitars has awakened my secret soft spot for guitars such as these. They're boring black guitars, but there is just something simple and likable in them.

5. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I like it. Coolest guitar in the range so far IMO

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  6. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

So it's just another 26.5" but with a black finish and Fishman pickups. I think I'd rather just buy the blue one not only for look but then install Fishmans myself for cheaper, but that's just me.

EDIT: Actually I take that back, it also had a genuine hipshot bridge which makes it pretty worth it then.

lewis likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I think whilst so far the lineup has been epic for THAT style of guitars, to ensure that momentum is kept, we are going to need more than just these same style of guitars.

Like where are the Xiphos style body shapes? LP styles, and the dipping the toes into the Headless model market?

Lets be fair, a headless, stealth Solar model, with Hipshot bridge/headpiece, would be sweeeet.

8. WiseSplinter

WiseSplinter SS.org Regular

Guitar looks nice, but for me personally an extra inch does not a baritone make.
    Also, Ola is awesome.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

As someone who came off as being hard on this brand when it was first released (albeit 99% of that was due to some confusion over pricing on the website), I think the "headless Xiphos or bust" mentality is far too constrictive. If there's a strong enough market for that, you could always pick up the phone and call WMI to launch the new "Lewis" brand of guitar and focus on weird shit like that, but, the word on the street is that a matte black no-bullshit superstrat will sell better.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

where did i say xiphos headless?

I mean he just needs to expand the model shapes and styles rather than have the whole range look the same.

thats what i meant

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Right in the quote, you said "Where are the Xiphos style body shapes?" and then suggested that they should enter the headless market.

The fact of the matter is that Ibanez couldn't sell enough Xiphos to keep that model alive, that the headless guitar market is still niche and is now pretty well saturated, and that RG-type guitars are helping companies like Ibanez, Jackson, Rondo, and HArley Benton rake in enough cash to stay afloat in an aggressive market.

couverdure and ZombieLloyd like this.
  12. Ola Englund

Ola Englund SS.org Regular

Just a little response to the people who want other shapes etc, just keep in mind that we’ve only been opened for 6 months. Making a new shape is not something you slap together in 2 hours, if I’m going to make a new shape I’m going to take my time and make sure I get everything right. I just think the expectations are just a tad too high. But it also makes me happy to see that people are passionate about the brand. Makes me extremely proud. Thanks guys.

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah agreed. Sorry.
    Completely guilty of getting ahead of myself Ola haha.

Im just saying, at some point whever that may be, the idea of a headless solar with this style and spec sheet would be incredible. Until then, me and my bands other guitarist will be gas'ing for the red and blue models haha

Ola Englund likes this.
  14. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

From a business point of view, I think what he's doing makes sense. He's building the brand, and obviously starting from his Washburn signature model makes sense. If he becomes THE brand for THAT type of guitar, he will already be extremely successful.

Plus, having less models massively reduces his costs and makes managing production and inventory much easier too. More models, all in colour options, is going to make things even harder for him to manage.

They're a metal brand, so having the super strat, V and explorer makes sense. Once he starts doing T shapes, LP shapes etc there becomes less and less differentiating Solar from all the rest of the guys doing that.

EDIT: I see Ola himself chipped it, saying more or less the same thing haha

thesnowdog, setsuna7, mpexus and 2 others like this.
  15. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

there's maybe a slot to take in Xtrem shape as BC rich is now gone, but yeah you have to be careful in what you release as, whatever happens, a RG shape will appeal to more people than a Warironbeastwavelock...
    Good luck Ola. I must admit you explo sig is really tempting ;)

Masoo2, Flappydoodle and Albake21 like this.
  16. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Actually if anything Ola is on the money with this one. An extended scale (26.5) 6 with Fishmans and Hipshot is delicious.

thesnowdog, setsuna7, Masoo2 and 4 others like this.
  17. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I placed my order to Thomann for A2.6TBLM in trans blue finish, it's gonna be very long couple of weeks for waiting it to arrive!

justin_time, p0ke and ZombieLloyd like this.
  18. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

I would love to see more of those red 7 string guitars myself.

19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Damn, I guess I'll have to pay you a visit once that arrives :lol:

And yeah. I'm sure what Ola's doing is "on the money" in terms of business, but it's a bit boring. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it that way, but I still hope he'll expand later and do more stuff that no-one else's doing. Like for example an E-model with 24-frets and a floyd (joking around of course, please don't latch onto this again and run the whole thread of the rails :lol: ). One reason why I wish Solar Guitars in particular would release a guitar like that is because I'd love to support Ola while getting the axe I want :)

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Ola Englund, setsuna7 and Metropolis like this.
  20. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I can't decide if I want to get rid of my 25.5" scale Washburn Solar with EverTune and get one of the 26.5" ones (possibly without EverTune) in the actual Solar brand or not. Such a tough choice