So...Why do People Hate on Gibson and Fender Again?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

I went to my local Guitar Center today and played two Gibson Les Paul Traditionals and a Fender HSS American Deluxe strat. Honestly there was nothing wrong with any of them, they played great and no major finish issues to be seen. Fretwork was actually pretty good on all of them. They sounded pretty damn good too. My question is why do internet guitar forums give these guys so much shit, it seems to me that even though they are the largest companies out there, they still make good guitars.

2. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

People just like to hate whatever is popular.

mcd likes this.
  3. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Fender has nothing I want. Hate Vintage styled Tremolos too.

As for Gibson, I like Explorers and a few Les Pauls. That's it. Fuck the ugly rest :lol:

the fuhrer likes this.
  4. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

People gravitate toward what their hero's play, every thing else is junk!

5. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

I'd like Fender more if they had guitars that weren't JUST vintage style strats (and yes, I know, 2 point trems... they're still vintage trems to me).

Gibson, I used to love them. Then I realized that they were heavy, fairly fragile, and didn't have what I was looking for playability-wise. Plus, the president of Gibson isn't someone I would ever want to support.

6. Black Mamba

Black Mamba SS.org Regular

People love to pick on the big boys.

7. Lrrrr

Lrrrr SS.org Regular

LP's are heavy as all get out with really fat necks.
    Single coil and short scale are fail. Always. Be a real man and pony up the dough for teh customz.

Fwiw I love the feel of a LP in the seated position, really comfortable. I loved my old strat for the clean/slightly overdriven tones I used jamming to blues and country. Both companies make some great guitars (and some not so great, just like any major manufacturer trying to expand their footprint). Each has its drawbacks just like any guitar.

I don't seem to notice the hate as much as you do, but I don't understand the kind of hate that you mention. I'd attribute it to stupid group think though.

8. Khoi

Khoi SS.org Regular

not metal enough

nicktao likes this.
  9. parksed24

parksed24 SS.org Regular

I played a Fender Select Tele' at House of Guitars a little while ago and I almost walked out with it. It was spectacular.

My best guess is they aren't exclusive enough of names to be cool? Everyone has a Gibson and a Fender.
    Well, I don't. Yet.
    As far as I'm concerned though, a good guitar is a good guitar. Getting hung up on a name is a good way to miss out on something great.

10. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I've got two Gibsons and a Fender, no hate here :lol:

11. leechmasterargentina

leechmasterargentina SS.org Regular

Well, what I don't like of Fenders and Gibsons is that they're still just the same as 50 years ago...Strats with useless tremolos, for example.

A while ago I made a thread about why I don't like them and I got bashed because they are good guitars and popular. I don't question the quality of their make, or a particular sound they might have, but popular doesn't mean the best.

My main reason not to like them is that 50 years ago those brands were the ones bringing the latest in electric guitar technology and design, and they've just kept in the past. I'm not saying strats and les pauls should dissapear, but Fender and Gibson could release more up to date models of those guitars; I'd like that.

I began playing the guitar first with a Squier Stratocaster and then bought a Fender Stratocaster. I used to like them and kind of worship them...but after I grabbed an Ibanez RG for the first time, I felt the latter were way more comfortable, better sounding and I could use the tremolo without detuning all strings.

I think it's just a reputation they've gained over the years, and most people think they are the best brands, but I think if everyone had the chance to try other brands as well as custom luthier guitars, they'd just forget them, or they would start asking for more up to date designs.

Again, they are fine and playable guitars; no doubt most designs are based on those, but my oppinion is that they've stuck in time and have nothing new to offer. But well, they sell, a lot...so I don't think they're willing to change as long as people buy them.

12. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

No hate here. Had some of both, loved them all.

And FWIW, while I love a Floyd I don't find the trems on a strat useless.

13. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

No hate here, love me some tele's, jazzmasters and sg's.

14. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

haha, same here!!!

15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

+1 :agreed:

16. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Completely insufficient for every single one of my needs.

Then again, I don't 'hate' them. I wouldn't have put a deposit down on a Strat for my friend if I thought it was terrible...

17. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I hate Gibson's CEO with a passion because of his probably-corrupt business practices and his disgusting cozying-up to the Tea Party after the feds raided their factory.

But they still make some excellent guitars. I've got a LP and an SG and like them both a whole lot.

Fender doesn't make anything that I'm interested in buying, but they're perfectly fine for what they are. And at least they haven't messed with Jackson too much since the buyout.

18. Elijah

Elijah SS.org Regular

Not pointy enough? Idk probably the same reason a lot of people around here unconditionally love Ibanez :shrug:

19. Fantomas

Fantomas blah

I honestly believe that Gibsons and Fenders are adequate guitars, but they haven't changed anything significant in their designs in 50 years.

The constant reissuing annoys the hell out of me: why would I pay top dollar for a reissue of a ' 92 reissue of a ' 69 guitar? That '69 guitar being a semi plywood piece of crap which was produced on a budget to begin with (looking at Fender here). Having said that: Gibson seems to be trying to innovate with their floyds and autotuning and killswitched guitars,.

Anyway, people can spend their money how they want but what gets me is that when I get my local music catalogue which has like 30 pages of guitars, 28 of those are for Fenders and Gibsons which are all exactly the same. Meanwhile they will list only the cheapest Jacksons, LTD, Ibanez, and whatever guitars on the remaining 2 or three pages

20. Thep

Thep Blast & Sweep

I don't like Gibsons because:

1) Their quality, fit and finish are often times equivalent to a typical Korean import, thus overpriced
    2) The shapes and weight are unergonomic. Also, I find tunomatics uncomfortable.
    3) The company partakes in many bad business practices and has too many gimmicks
    4) Vintage heritage and traditions carry over too many obsolete design details

However, they're are alot of great things about Gibson guitars. In general though, I don't like them and I don't see myself purchasing one.

I like Fender though :) ... but would still get a Tom Anderson or G&L