So, is BC Rich officially dead?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jan 18, 2018.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The question is... does anyone want BCR? :shrug:

That... seems to have already happened. :ugh:

I mean it's not as embarrasing of a death as some other companies, but they seem to be going out with a whimper rather than a bang.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Honestly, Kerry King should just buy them.

He's so associated with the brand and he's going to have plenty of time on his hands once Slayer is wrapped up. He probably has the money.

rexbinary and bostjan like this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Brilliant! Even if he doesn't have the money on hand, I'm sure he'd have some good crowd-sourcing support if he asked.

4. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

Dave Mustaine should just buy them then. He used to play them and he was mega-butt hurt when he tried to buy Jackson but they sold to Fender instead.

5. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, but he seems plenty happy with Dean and it's been ages since he played BCR.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  6. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

Honestly what I want out of bcr seems to be impossible. I want a US production line in the same bracket as Jackson usa, Think 2.5-3k range of the "greatest hits" if you will. a basic neck thru model of all their shapes with low production quantities to have a dealer presence for their top end. To fill in the range for customers who want something slightly different than the basics but not too crazy have something similar to Jackson with custom select type deals for people who want slight to moderate changes to the base models at similar to Jackson custom select prices. above that they can have the full custom shop where the sky is the limit in terms of specs and pricing. Basically i want to be able to get a basic usa NT model for less than 4.5K and built by someone trustworthy, a feat that others (i really am harping on this Jackson comparison arn't I) seem able to do (minus Jackson's barely existent masterbuild team). for the imports they can continue the Mk whatever thing they have going on to denote their tiers, but not have them all be MIC for MIK prices, contract out to WMI or whatever again for midrange models. Basically I want fender to buy them but actually staff the custom shop. :rofl: But that's not happening.

AxeHappy likes this.
  7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Those days are long behind BCR, they simply don't have the orders to generate the capitol to sustain that. Especially in an economy like Southern California. Back in late 80's, they did for a bit, but it was a much more relevant time for BCR & their exotic shapes. Sadly, they did nothing to roll with the changes & that's where they find themselves today.

8. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

Which is why I was making the Jackson comparison honestly. Jackson's mainstay may be the soloist and dinky, as was the gunslinger for bc rich in the late 80s but Jackson also has the Rhoads, king v Kelly and warrior, not exactly conservative shapes, yet they are still doing immensely well. They were both cut from the same cloth, in the same general area and Charvel even made some of the necks and bodies for the short lived son of a rich guitars. Now the difference is one is basically dead and the other has a massive presence in the metal guitar market. I don't expect fender to buy them and compete with itself in the metal guitar market, that wouldn't make much sense. I was just saying that if the rico family and by exension class axe and hanser had the savvy that charvel/ jackson, IMC, and now FMIC had they might be in the same spot.

9. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

A distinct possibility is that if the brand and associated intellectual property disappear, many companies will actually try to sell a Warlock, which for me is THE BC Rich. (I know some have other references, but to me it's Sepultura and WASP.) In that case, I'd put a few € on a bet that ESP won't be the last to try to pull it off.

10. MaxOfMetal

What are the odds though that no one will buy the IP? Even if it's just to license out or sue the pants off of copy cats.

11. bostjan

I guess we might find out. They are iconic shapes, but the icons only mean anything to a very select group of people

Masoo2 likes this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

Never underestimate the allure of a money grab. :lol:

We see it with trademark and patent trolling, especially in certain industries.

It costs nothing to hold onto the IP, save the original purchase price.

13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Depends on what it costs. It's not like the companies that will make BCR shapes will suddenly sell millions of them.

14. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

THe IP will definitely be bought, but probably for peanuts, by a company that wants to milk the image, rather than revive it - like MusicYo era Kramers, the aim was never to make a quality product, only to milk the reputation and image.

BCR already had a shitty reputation at the low end and a basically unattainable high end, so it wouldn't even really be different as far as the market would see. Just more of the same.

15. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

If someone were to buy them up, they would be best served by streamlining and RE-building to RE-earn market confidence just as a brand new company would. Limit production, limit staff, do it right by doing it small with great quality, grow at a pace that is economically absorbable.

16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Is that so? I thought the only shitty reputation they had was for the stock pups (or ugly guitar shapes)... I mean after all the guitars are so bare-bones. I have a platinum series warlock from around 2004 and I feel it's pretty good quality compared to some low end ltds and Indo Ibbies I've played more recently. But then again platinum series is a whole step above bronze series. My buddy had a bronze mockingbird, but I can't remember it well enough to comment on the quality.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Oh man, when I first started playing guitar, even my non-guitar-playing brother was like "Make sure you don't get a BC Rich. I heard they suck."

Masoo2, Spaced Out Ace and groverj3 like this.
  18. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

The poster making comparisons to Jackson was pretty spot-on. They could very well have been in the same position had things gone a little differently for each.

I'm obviously a big Jackson guy, and have been active on jcfonline for a good number of years in addition to here, but there's this sense among some in the Jackson community that the Fender buyout was somehow bad for the brand. It couldn't be further from the truth. Jackson was probably stronger than BCR through the 90s and early 00s, but they still weren't managed well. FMIC buying them was probably the only reason they're still around and being somewhat successful at the moment.

Had BCR been bought by a parent company that actually had some interest in making it successful at what it's known for, without needing to depend completely on the low-end market to keep it afloat it might be a different story. The best thing to hope for you BCR fans out there is for a reorganized Gibson to buy them or something after they're on better financial footing. It gives Gibson a foot in the "metal" guitar market with an established brand name and it's actually a guitar company, rather than their adventures into all sorts of non-guitar stuff which over extended themselves. Then again, that depends on it being managed well, which Gibson wasn't under their current management. Something similar though, would make sense.

19. bostjan

Oh hell no, Gibson buying BCR would 90% end in embarrassment for both entities.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

I doubt Gibson is in any spot to make any purchases like that anyway. Fender more likely, but they already got Charvel for their '80s throwback brand and Jackson for the br00tz.

cwhitey2 likes this.