So Amp or Guitar

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by neuk01642, Feb 14, 2018.

1. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

You're a guitar player, not an amp player, get the guitar.

2. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

HAHAHAHAH. That's the best argument I've heard... brilliant. Brightened an otherwise shitty day. Thanks dude!

3. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

Gotcha, so it's not the amplified sound you have qualms with, it's the direct recording results vs GAS inducing clips of mic'ed up tube amps haha. Third party IRs and eq can help some, and it seems like you're less content with your guitars, so that new axe sounds like the right call.

neuk01642 likes this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

But given the options the Helix has, I can't really think of why you would need an external source for those - especially with the updates they announced at NAMM.

5. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

So wait. If it sounds good through a cab, but not quite right through impulses, what part of that makes you think its the helix? Sounds like it's the impulses. If you can't mic up a cab, and you get a tube amp, it sounds like you're either going to be unable to play or forced back through the same problematic medium.

The Helix can load third party IR's right? Why not invest some money into trying some different IR's? If you haven't tried them, I swear by the Redwirez stuff. You can try a Marshall cab for free or buy another cab for $10. Whole lot cheaper than a boutique tube amp.

Spaced Out Ace and neuk01642 like this.
  6. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Sounds like every line 6 product I've ever used or heard used.

7. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Most guitars I ever had: 17
    Most heads I ever had: 2
    Guitars. Every. Time.

KnightBrolaire, Vyn and neuk01642 like this.
  8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

:bowdown:

10/10.... I just added this to my sig line.

JoshuaVonFlash likes this.
  9. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

Yep. I don't ever use the native Helix cabs. I've been through a bunch of IR's and finally found some that seem to get me most of the way there from 3 Sigma Audio. And EQ is ever present pre an post amp block.
    I suspect you're probably right on the axe.

10. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

There is something pretty special about the Fortin boost pedals. The frequencies the push and attenuate and the way they do it. People who dismiss them as just another single knob boost are massively underestimating the very specific qualities Mike manages to weave into the circuitry. I've had a few other boosts, expensive and cheap and none have touch the Grind and 33. I wish I was technical enough to explain how the circuit works but it just adds something special... and the bass roll off on both is simply extraordinary which is pretty crucial as I play 8 strings.

The minute L6 model a Fortin boost, I'll use that.

11. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

It's not the Helix per se so much as modeling/profiling amps. It was worse on the Kemper but that was partially down to it not being the tool I needed (great for the player who has a bunch of dialled in amps and wants to put their fave settings into one box and not tweak), but it suffered from the same issues with high frequency white noise in high gain settings (again might be been different if I'd found the 3 Sigma Audio IRs).

I'm all over the third party IR's (never use the Helix cabs - they're not bad, I'm just not particularly fond of the way they sound). Been through Ownhammer, Celestion, Rosen Digital and have settle on 3 Sigma Audio. There is just so much detail in the high frequencies. People complain that they're over fizzy but I don't find that I just find that the top end doesn't wash out when using gain. Haven't tried RedWirez. Got their IRMix plugin which is awesome. Might give them a spin.

Re Tube amps - the difference would be Two Notes Torpedo Live loadbox/attenuator. Their cab sims are really very good and I'd use them more but I'd have to load them into a plugin in my DAW and they're pretty memory hungry and I like mimicking the process of amp and mic'd cab into a desk as much as possible so I like my guitar tone to hit the interface as finished as possible (bar a little EQ here or there post).

12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Guitar with pickups you like. Preferably one you can try out with your rig first. Then assess whether or not you want to get an amp.

neuk01642 and Vyn like this.
  13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Pretty much this.

neuk01642 likes this.
  14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Actually, correction -- Guitar with everything, or mostly everything you like. Bridge type, pickup models, pickup selector, nut type [tusq or whatever sort you prefer], etc. Or as close to it as you can get without making too much modifications. Then once you get that spot on, reassess the need for a different amp or whatever.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  15. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

That's pretty much where I'm leaning. The guitar I've got my eye on ticks 99% of the boxes I was looking for. Scale length, pick ups, hardware, body wood, neck wood fretboard fret material. The only place it drops a point is top wood. I was hoping for poplar burl but the one I've got my eye on is walnut which is lovely in its own right but a little less ostentatious. I think that will be offset however by a beautifully grained swamp ash body and tonally I think it's work really really well.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.