SNES Classic Edition announced

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Jun 26, 2017.

1. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Super Mario World and Zelda are the main ones for me- though another go at Chrono Trigger would be nice. Never quite beat that or Zelda on the SNES.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

While I'd love some of those, Killer Instinct is owned by Microsoft and would have been unlikely. Which also makes a N64 mini kinda pointless. Shame Square didn't go all out with a couple of FFs and CT. Mario All Stars and DKC 2 and 3 are huge omissions in my opinion, especially since so many think that DKC2 is the best one. Also, this would have been a great opportunity to bring some Fire Emblem games to the west, considering how popular those games are now. There's 6 of their own games they could have definitely thrown in.

That said, these games are all excellent and I got a preorder from Nintendo UK.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  3. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

-Final Fight
    -Tetris Attack (probably a licensing issue but it has Mario characters in it!)
    -Bust-A-Move
    -Earthworm Jim

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I love MK I & II, but MKIII Ultimate would be the best one to throw in for the full roster; it's usually the one that everyone wants anyways.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I was an MK SNES aficionado back in the day. I think II was the best all-around, it felt the most polished and complete. Three was good too, it just had some really stupid new characters.

SNES umk3 had some serious issues, some due to space constraints. They removed all animalities and removed Sheeva, and the game was left with mostly a whole bunch of palette-swapped ninjas and robots, some of whom didn't have complete move sets or had fatalities where the screen went black and nothing happened. I still liked it, but it's not the clear best.

Anyway, my vote for #1 game that should be included is TMNT 4: Turtles in Time. That's easily my favorite beat-em-up of all time, and it was always my favorite 2-player game. It's really fun, and it's short enough that you can easily do it in one sitting (unless you die a lot).

Oh, and why would you want SNES Doom? That is TERRIBLE, obviously due to hardware limitations. I'd rather play Super 3D Noah's Ark if we're talking FPS games on SNES.

bostjan likes this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:rofl: My parents bought me a bunch of those Wisdom Tree games for the NES. Some of them were not bad, but others were flat out broken. Some of my friends had them, too, and many of the flaws were in their cartridges, too, so I think the games were just programmed poorly.

I actually wouldn't mind having Super 3D Noah's Ark included, but since it wasn't even officially licensed by Nintendo, I doubt there'd be a remote possibility of that. :lol:

As far as Doom, you are correct. I recall Doom being a most excellent game, but I am thinking of the PC version. The SNES version pushed the hardware past its limits, and the result, although an interesting novelty, was not an enjoyable game, especially for those who were accustomed to the PC version.

wankerness likes this.
  7. Demiurge

Oh boy, I remember Bible Adventures! The staff at the "Christian Book Store" who sold it (ugh) advised that it was made by the team who made Super Mario Bros for Nintendo- they had to leave after they became Born Again. Growing-up in a fundamentalist household... then again I also believed the kids who said that if you put a paperclip inside the cartridge, Mario would turn plaid.

So, speaking hilariously-misplaced faith, do y'all think Nintendo will make enough/more of these SNESes this time around? I mean, considering that they had to finish an unreleased game and include a roster of games with perhaps fewer sweetheart deals regarding licensing, it makes sense that they'd have to sell more for it to make financial sense to them, right?

8. bostjan

Probably not. I think the only recent console that was in abundant supply was the Wii U and only because no one was buying them. :/

9. Demiurge

^I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Of course, it just so happens that after I signed up on Amazon for notification when the units go on sale, I start receiving recommendations for Raspberry Pi 3 packages that come with SNES-style controllers and pre-loaded emulation software for the same price.

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Coincidentally, just the other day I was reading a topic about the PS1 Doom, where the music had completely been replaced by really eerie hell music. Several people were posting that the PS1 version was the first they played, and said how confused they were when they played the PC version and how it was no longer a creepy game about everyone trying to kill you! Music can sure make a big difference.

So, not all limited console ports of Doom were bad! I don't really understand the motivation, though. That Doom control responsiveness on SNES was pretty terrible even without the graphical limitations.

RE: Bible Adventures, I had multiple friends with religious parents who forced it on them. We had a ton of fun when we got older and went back to it. The best level is the one where you are carrying a baby around and soldiers chase after you. Every time they hit you, you throw the baby away, sometimes straight into the river. Its bluntness was hilarious.

FINALLY, the SNES games I played the most apart from the aforementioned TMNT4 and the included games were DKC2 (I think this is the best one of the group), DKC3, Killer Instinct (we've already been over why it's not included!!), and the Super Star Wars games. ESB and ROTJ were pretty polished games with a ton of gameplay variety. They were also hard as ****.

NBA Jam: Tournament Edition might have gotten the most multiplayer play from my friends and I apart from maybe TMNT4. That was really fun.

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so many great games didnt make it
    where is the star wars games, mutant turtles, terminator, mortal kombat?
    so many missing

12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

For the games that "didn't make it" I guess it goes to show how much of a strong lineup the SNES had. It was this console and the PS2 that stand head and shoulders above the rest thanks to such a large catalogue of great games.

Latter day fighting games have taught us the valuable lesson where a larger roster does not necessarily make a better fighting game. EG: Marvel Vs Capcom 2's 56 characters, and only 15 or less are worth playing because the rest are utter garbage. Though it's still a great game despite of that.

In the case of the SNES, MK2 is a much more fun, complete and balanced game. MK3 dropped the ball in terms of attention to the fine details. The game was rushed, dodgy frames (defeat animation) and the mechanics are clunky as all hell. UMK3 on the SNES was a pointless joke.

13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Really?

Interesting that versions or the same game could be disappointing. I remember having it in our house as a kid, and that probably wouldve been in Genesis, and it was awesome; or, at least, as awesome as my brain can remember it through nostalgia goggles.

14. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Nostalgia can be a deceitful mistress.

I enjoyed MK3 back then too. I was the kid making movelists or collecting from magazines and offering them to mates or telling them how to do fatalities back in the day (before they became "formalities" and loses some novelty and value when the latter games already gives the movelist).

I said that MK3 fails due to attention to detail. Specific examples (for the SNES at least) that come to mind are the end round knockout where the defeated character stands perfectly still and falls like a domino from ground hits. Liu Kang's animality bites the victim's torso but leaving the hands floating in the air with the victim's legs. The fighting engine is clunky and with awkwardly fluctuating damage physics and boring fixed dialled combos that can only be activated after running.

I do appreciate that an old combo I had with Kabal would take 50% damage but when not rushed can actually do 75% more instead.

The SNES also had some stupid bug with the Stage Setting order where a loop from the Tower to the Soul Chamber effectively making the scenery repetitive, but that's minor. I expected some serious tone down to console ports from arcade versions especially from back then.

UMK3 (Arcade) solved a lot of vanilla MK3 problems (in the most Capcom tradition possible). And I had a lot more fun with that too. However the SNES version copped some serious hacked to the bone tone down. In addition to what's already stated (which a damn lot of features removed), the resolution and the character size ratio were seriously tweaked for the limited 16bit port making some bad collision detection issues. It felt like a completely different game, and a much inferior one at that. Brutalities were nice, and at least have aged better than fatalities from a gameplay perspective.

MK2 of all the SNES ports, felt the most arcade faithful. Some features were compromised naturally, but the core gameplay remains largely intact.

As for MK1... one of the earliest examples of how cutting edge presentation can mask a shallow game. The lack of blood and gore for the SNES did do any favours either.

15. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I still regularly play MK3 and its variants quite frequently, my favorite being UMK3 on the Sega Saturn. The SNES was kinda odd with the MK games, the first one looked good, but played kinda weird and of course no blood. MK2 hands down the best on the system. MK3 again graphically was good but even the Genesis version played closer to the arcade version. God the hype around MK3 when it first hit the arcade was insane! Nowadays I see a lot of fans pretty divided about it, but for me it's the best the series ever got.

16. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So when I preordered my Xbox One X, GameStop said no preorders for the Super NES classics, first come first serve. I was going to use a paid day off to go there early, try to grab one, hopefully be successful, then spend my day and after my kid goes to bed playing some great games.

Then I see an article today that GameStop took preorders, and I called the same GameStop and they said all of a sudden they were able to take preorders and they were gone in minutes.

Bastards.

17. bostjan

I successfully preordered one, then my preorder was cancelled after the fact and my money refunded. They said they were not taking preorders, and there was some sort of mistake. I call shenanigans.

18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

They sold out in seconds in the middle of the night everywhere.

Fuck Nintendo.

I'm not rewarding scalpers either. But I may now look up a raspberry pi emulator guide now.

I don't like not being able to buy things legitimately when I'm TRYING to give someone my money.

19. Demiurge

I signed-up with Amazon for notification of the presale, but the presale went up and sold-out without nary a notification... not that I was awake at 5am or whenever.

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

For a long time I thought it was Nintendo of America's fault. Understocking and not offering preorders. But lately they have changed, there are preorders and seemingly more stock. Now the scalpers just get all the stock on preorders. We don't have the issue with NoE, who seem to always have lots of stock. I think the issue in America is with scalpers, nowadays at least.

The other thing, at the minute, is that Nintendo are spending all their capacity on making the Switch. They can't make enough of those to sell anywhere, so this is only meant to be a limited thing anyway.