Slanted single coil

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by purplebelt155, Jun 8, 2018.

1. purplebelt155

purplebelt155 "nothing to see here."

Hello

I'm getting a 607b 7 string tele. I'm thinking about doing the standard telecaster pick up configuration. Single in the neck and slanted in the bridge.

I was reading on a separate forum that the reason for the angled pup was to even out the lows and highs. Some people were saying Leo got it backwards and it sounds better angled the opposite direction. Has anyone here had any experience with this?

Also, on multi scale guitars they tend to use a pickup with one string larger than the actual string count. Example multi scale 7 string will have 8 string pick ups. Is there a difference between using a larger pup vs a pup designed to be slanted? Thanks

Bobro likes this.
  2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The idea behind the original slant was to make the high strings higher and the low strings lower. I think the reasoning at the time was that their amps had a pretty narrow response and this would make the strings sound different.

In modern times, some people think that you want it the other way around. Put the pickup farther from the bridge on the treble side so the high strings are smoother and the bass strings are tighter.

I like this notion, and my strat currently has a reverse angled bridge pickup (courtesy of Warmoth pickguards).

And let me tell you, THIS THING SOUNDS ... like a Strat :)

Its probably a little different but I think you're fine either way. I'd go for the reverse angle if it doesn't cost any more, otherwise I'd say don't worry about it.

Bobro likes this.
  3. purplebelt155

purplebelt155 "nothing to see here."

Ok cool. I use Portland fretworks for my guitar modding and I don't think it would be any different in price. They are amazing at what they do plus they don't shit all over you're ideas when you come at them with a custom project.

Thanks for the input.

4. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Yeah, it was slanted to make the treble strings brighter and the bass strings mellower.

I wouldn’t over think it. It’s worked for Teles for decades. That’s just their sound, so if I was looking to make a Tele that’s how I’d do it.

Would it sound bad slanted the other way? I seriously doubt it. But presumably it would sound different.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Leo did get it backwards yeah, but it's intentional, to make the bass strings bassier because the amps lacked bass.
    These days indeed, the other way makes a lot more sense. The closer the pickup is to the bridge on the bass side, the more it's going to even out the tone. The original way is doing the opposite and widening the tonal range.
    Obviously it works and sounds good and is a signature part of Tele sound though, that bright high end on the treble strings.

6. kavinsky

kavinsky SS.org Regular

the distance from magnet to bridge saddle is crucial
    if you want a tele/strat sound - stick to the classic position

but considering you have a 7 string, the lowest saddle would be very far from the magnet, thus providing a very boomy and unpronounced sound
    I'd reverse it and maybe adjusted its position a little bit. that makes a lot more sense to me, because it mimics the scale/saddles and thus evens the tonal response

many 7 stringers suffer from muddy sound and its mostly due to the standard pickup position - it is way too far from the bridge saddles if youre looking for that bright modern low 7 tone.
    when the pup is too far from the saddle, the fundamental tone is much louder than the upper harmonics, so overall the 7th string sounds bassier, and when you put this signal into distortion, that excessive low energy turns info fuzzed crap.

you can solder the pup to a jack and move it above the strings, plucking with your other hand, to get an idea of how important the pickup position is and to find a sweetspot.

this might be helpful to illustrate what I'm talking about

Andrew Lloyd Webber likes this.
  7. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

This is some helpful info. I’m going to pretend none of it exists; and attribute those variables to tonewood.