Skervessen Raptor vs. Mayones Duvell

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by capac, Feb 6, 2018.

Which one?

1. Skervessen is great

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. Save up and get a mayones

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Hey,

I own a mayones duvell 6 (a production model). It's the best guitar I've played.

I was just thinking about buying another guitar, custom this time. I really like the look of skervessen raptor, maybe even slightly more than duvell (just looks a bit sharper).

The main reason for that is the price. Custom mayos are pretty expensive, and I'm wondering whether skervessens are just as good as mayones?

Thanks.

2. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

I've been in the same boat, debating on getting a Skervesen 6er to go alongside my CS Regius 7. While it' practically impossible to play a Skervesen stateside before buying one, the general consensus falls in favor of Mayones. Skervesen will get you an awesome looking guitar and great wood choices for the price, though.

3. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

I would stay away from Skervys. The ones I owned or tried were all kind of dead sounding and not really resonant. Obviously that doesn't mean all of them are like that, but still.

4. Daeniel

Daeniel 7string n00b!

Had more than 10 Skervesen, honestly the quality\price ratio is incredible. The few Mayo I tried were all a bit sterile and without character - imho overpriced.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  5. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Any alternatives (RAN etc.?).

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the mayo's i've played had higher finish quality and attention to detail then my skervesens...but I didn't find the duvell that special at all.

It's really a wash tho...mayones doesn't really get expensive unless you want fan frets or extended scale lengths or carved tops.

For normal wood and neck options they come out to about the same price.

7. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Good news ;). I'd pick it with elite neck and some really crazy top (could get pricey!) and fretboard - really liking that pale moon ebony, but it's probably too expensive.

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

they are like 3500-4000. comparable skervesen is like 3000-3500. Not that much of a difference if you are buying new.

I'd rather have my skervesen then a duvell though. I'd budge for a regius core.

9. capac

capac SS.org Regular

10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I have no love for Mayones designs and the few I've tried have been fine but nothing that really made me want to pull out my wallet. Out of Skervesen's lineup I only really like the Shoggie, Swan and Lizard.

11. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

I've owned a few Mayones - a Regius 6 that I really fell in love with, and a Duvell Elite 7 that I didn't get along with so well. I thought the Mayo 6 was my platonic ideal of what a guitar would be until I got my Skervesen Raptor 7. I had never played a Skervesen before so I took a bit of a risk, but damn, it paid off - one of the most truly resonant guitars I've ever owned, and it plays like a dream. Best guitar I've ever played, so my vote goes Skervesen.

12. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I have 3 Skervs. They are very good guitars. For one of them it took almost a year to sound fully and become really really resonant. My fav is my own design: Lupus. Very ergonomic, beautiful (for me ofc) and one of the best sounding Skervs out there. Check their FB page or search here.
    And i'am trying to rationalize my 4th Skerv. Do i need 10th guitar? No. Do i want to design and order new one. Hellyeah. Damn GAS.

13. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I love my Duvell standard, only issue with it is it makes me wish I had a pro, just for the ebony board, SS frets and different neck woods, don't care for burl top though, but I wouldn't hesitate to ever buy any other Mayones, well the garbage Canadian dollar and customs fees make me hesitate but that's it.

Wolfos likes this.
  14. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

You might be able to to find a fellow sevenstringer to help you and let you play theirs, people seem friendly enough here if it might help you make a decision.

I had a Duvell I loved but once you get over a certain price point there all great and almost always comes down to aesthetics.

Only thing I'm not sure on is I believe Skervesen PLEK their guitars or something similar and I don't believe mayones does or at least my duvell didn't seem to be compared to my Suhr.

Edit: As for anyone saying the Skerv sounds funny it would be the customers fault not the builders. The customer requests his/her guitar to built with woods of their choice and pickups of their choice. Be mindful of wood combinations if you decide to build.

Wolfhorsky and Dineley like this.
  15. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah people get too caught up in the curl of the burl with their Skervs so they just end up with funky wood combinations that look cool but may not be best suited for each other.

On a side note Curl of the Burl is a bitching good tune.

Velokki and KnightBrolaire like this.
  16. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Seems like skervs are worth it. My duvell has SS frets, came with the case... Not sure they do anymore.

I'd pick something like flame top (in graphite), ebony fretboard...
    Ash body and bubinga/wenge neck?

Ran is also a compelling option, costs about the same as skerv.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  17. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

If you don't mind used, there's a 7 string ran crusher on Reverb for about $1000 less than a duvell or skerv

18. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I would strongly recommend neck-through-body construction. Very ergonomic and soundwise happy medium between set-in and bolt-on constructions.

19. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I would not unless it's already baked into the price. I feel that the bolt-on heels on designs like Skervesen's or Mayones are already perfectly fine so neckthru doesn't really add much and is usually a significant upcharge.

20. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I believe a set neck is 400€ more than bolt on for the raptor model. They do have other models that come standard with neck thru but coincidentally start off 400€ more for a base price lol.