Skervesen - anything to improve or not-so-perfect about their guitars?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by yuri_1973, Feb 12, 2018.

1. yuri_1973

yuri_1973 Romantic Shredder

Hi folks !

I've completely fallen in love with Skervesen guitars since a long time, basically for their looks, finishes, amazing tops, ... unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try a single one yet !

I particular, their Raptor model seems the perfect fit for me, as I'm a superstat guy ... anyway, I have not yet read anywhere bad comments or "not-so-great" things about them ... however I wouldn't like to assume they make the "perfect 10" guitar, as probably such thing doesn't exist.

Of you guys who've tried or own a Raptor or another Skervy, what would be the improvements that you wished they implemented, defects you've seen, aspects in which they are a bit behind when compared to other similar high end guitars, etc..?

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The only thing I'm not happy about on my Shoggie 8 is that the volume and tone pots don't work like I feel they should. The volume goes from full to almost nothing at 10-7 on the pot travel while the tone pot does the opposite: it does barely anything from 10-3 and 3-0 has most effect on tone. I need to contact them about this and get some ideas what I need to replace to fix this.

IMO that should have been noticed at the factory. While the function of the volume pot is up to taste, the tone pot makes no sense. Otherwise the guitar is built flawlessly and sounds good.

3. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

I laid my hands on 2 Skervesens (Lizard7, Skerveten6) until now and both had some issues:

Workmanship issues:
    * Centerline of the bridge was not collinear with the centerline/joint of the 2 piece top
    * rough spots on the neck
    * double sidedots (12, 24) were slightly off
    * questionable communication and failures during the building process

Conceptual issues:
    * The shapes are not completely thought through (jack positioning, stupid bevel for an arm contour, pot placement)
    * Both suffered from not aligned outer polepieces of the bridge pickups (the 7 because of the incompatible slant, the 6 because of the trem-spaced bridge using a 50mm PU).

The good stuff both shined with:
    * Very nice finish
    * Top of the line fretwork and setup
    * Very sturdy feel

4. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Every pre-2017 Skerv I've picked up has been acoustically dead, borderline zero resonance to them at all. In addition to that, there's a plethora of them that suffer from the issues mentioned above such as improperly lined up pickups, single saddle bridges are plagued with misalignments, and I've seen more than a few with sloppy wiring and poor shielding in the cavities. I do remember seeing a build where the neck de-laminated as well which is highly concerning.

I've *heard* but not been able to confirm that the mid 2017 and forward models have gotten better and addressed some of these issues, but I've been soured enough by my own experiences with them to stay away.

Ebony and AxeHappy like this.
  5. jbcrazy

jbcrazy SS.org Regular

I just sold my Skervesen.

Nothing wrong with it though. I thought it sounded nice. Had no issues. Looked amazing. Heard they've had issues but the one I had was flawless.

6. ms17a

ms17a SS.org Regular

I have a Swan 8 Fanfret lefthand from 2016 and I cannot confirm the issues metioned here. I've had a great communication including quick responses to my questions. No optical problems with woods or sidedots, but a really perfect setup. The alignment of the pickups may not be 100% perfect, but I haven't seen many guitars (even in this price range) with every pole piece exactly under the corresponding string. IMHO this has no effect if it is not a bigger displacement. Also concerning the lack of resonance mentioned: This is a difficult question to discuss with "words". If you think of resonance as sustain, then I can tell you that my Skervesen has an incredible sustain. If you think of resonance as the response of the wood, that makes you feel the vibration directly, then the Skervesen is not resonating greatly. BUT as a bass player (that I used to be before), I find that the expensive bass guitars made out of hard woods such as Padouk, Bubinga, Wenge, etc. show the same behaviour and definitely cannot be considered as a "bad" wood combination or craftmanship. I think that Skervesen is transferring knowledge from bass construction Know-How to ERG (which makes sense to me). If you consider classical light or not dense guitar woods such as basswod, then the Skervesen woods behave differently.

Hope that I could add different aspects to the discussion...

Cheers...

7. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I have 3: Chiroptera, Nebelung and Lupus. I didn’t have any issues with pickup and hardware alignments. Their soldering is top notch in all 3 cases.
    Sometimes their shapes and designs are not optimal from ergonomic point of view. I had to work some minor issues to make my Chiroptera comfy. Other thing i have to mention that it took almost a year to get the strong acoustic breathing sound out of Chi. I don’t know why, but after one year my Chi is one of the most resonant guitar i came across. The body is made of black limba.
    Nebelung is fine. It is their updated version of Raptor. Better bevels, cutaways, horns and overall propotions. But my fav is my own design: Lupus (wolf).

8. Taikatatti

Taikatatti SS.org Regular

I owned raptor 7 awhile ago. There was definitely something going on with the volpot and electronics. Pot was really loose and there was no other positions for it except 0 and 100. My friends tamandua has the same issue.

Mine had some pretty bad noise issues, don’t know if thats BKP’s or skerves fault but the bridge pickup has some microphonic feedback going on. Haven’t had covered pickups since and no issues on my other guitars.

Acoustically it was dead. No sustain and the body didn’t resonate at all. I have custom Vandermeij with same specs and it’s extremely loud. The reason why i sold it was the neck. It’s really big, super wide and beefy. Didn’t get along with it at all.

Other than these it was a good guitar overall. I received it in new years eve 2013 when the build time was 6 months and prices were lower.

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I've had three that I bought used and while the early one has a few finish issues, playability and sound have been great.

4ap 7 - The best and most resonant low end acoustically I've ever heard in a guitar. Shape is a little weird though. It can be really comfortable or really uncomfortable depending on how you sit. I had an earlier one. The newer ones changed the body slightly to be more ergonomic. I'd have kept it if it was a longer scale.

Raptor 7. pretty standard specs, swamp-ash/pauferro/quilt maple. Great fretwork. Whoever specced it went weird with the pickups. Coldsweat/emeralds sounded like ass in this guitar. Replaced them with warpigs and sound much better.

Raptor 6 NTB. 6.5 pound neck through. Perfect weight. a bit of finish spill on the neck joint but otherwise perfect. Juggernauts sound great in this guitar.

just make sure you spec it correctly and check it over when you get it. Some things can be wonky but nothing that can't easily be fixed.

10. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I would avoid bkp if You don’t know them. My 2 cents..

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

ya well you have to know what you like or have tried out a ton of them.