Single coil humbucker for a 24-fret S-H sixer

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by bulletproof_funk, Dec 10, 2012.

Which humbucking single coil for the neck on a 24-fret six-string?

1. DiMarzio Chopper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DiMarzio Fast Track 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Seymour Duncan Hot Stack

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Seymour Duncan Cool Rails

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Other (please specify)

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. bulletproof_funk

bulletproof_funk meatbag

So I'm reasonably happy with the DiMarzio D-Activator in my six-string, 24-fret Ibanez RG3XXV (basswood body, maple neck and fretboard), but I'm not digging the neck Air Norton S and am looking for possible alternatives.

While the ANS isn't a bad pickup, it sounds clear and mostly balanced, it doesn't have that upper range shimmer, sweetness and detail, and sounds kind of bland up there lacking character. This is even in parallel coil mode where it sounds very much like a traditional single coil.

I believe I'm looking for something that still has clarity but possibly a bit brighter pickup with more higher end detail without losing too much output or sounding too thin in humbucker/series configuration. I am considering the DiMarzio Chopper or Fast Track 1, or a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails or Hot Stack (not sure about the Hot Rails as the specs say lots of mids and lower on the treble).

My main use for the neck pickup is Petrucci like leads in prog metal style of playing with sweep arpeggios and fast alternate picking.

Just wondering what you guys would suggest.

2. Lilarcor

Lilarcor SS.org Regular

When it comes to shimmering highs I think there's nothing better than a real single coil (not a stacked one). So if you can live with the hum you might want to look into those. If you want something a bit more powerful the Dimarzio Red Velvet may work for you.
    All humbucking techniques will cut some of the highs and pronounce the midrange to a specific extend. Stacked SCs have gotten a lot better, though. I hear the Dimarzio Area models are supposed to be pretty good at sounding like a real SC.

3. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

IMO I think the Air Norton S is a great Petrucci style neck pickup. Brightness wise it's very close the the LiquiFire.
    But if you're looking for a brighter pickup I'd say go with the Chopper. The Fast track 1 might be a little too low on output compared to the humbucker bridge.

4. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

Hot Rails!

5. bulletproof_funk

bulletproof_funk meatbag

I forgot to mention that I am running a Cool Rails in the neck of another 24-fret sixer wired in exactly the same configurations, series and parallel, and I am okay with the sounds of both settings even though the Cool Rails is not a true SC. Still, I find the CR has more top end detail than the ANS. I wanted to stay with a SC sized humbucker for the fatter sound in series, thought I'd throw the Hot Stack into the mix since I've never heard a stacked SC before and it could also work as it is a hot pickup (especially for the neck).

6. bulletproof_funk

bulletproof_funk meatbag

Other comments, suggestions? It's not helping matters that I'm not 100% sure what I'm after but I'm still open to more input anyway. Thanks.