Since no one has brought this up: Dimarzio Pandemonium pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MatiasTolkki, Jul 6, 2018.

1. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

So Dimarzio finally released Nita's interview with her new pickups.

She claims they work well with Mahogany/maple top and ebony, which kinda scares me as to how they might sound in a basswood body. Anyone looking forward to trying these?

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

i thought they sounded good in the demo. Definitely full and chunky.

3. MatiasTolkki

I thought that too, but a little too compressed maybe? That might be youtube's fault though. I wanna try em, but those stupid covers make them a lot more expensive than regular dimarzios :/

4. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

These days I couldn't care less for pickup release number 15936395872638483.
    Last pickup that got me exited was the Lundgren M line many years ago ...
    Since then I'm just like "Ok sounds maybe a bit different than the pickup I have...but not really any better."

5. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

If only that was the topic.

Concerning the wood: No way is Dimarzio going to say they sound bad in basswood. Pickup companies have their cake and eat it, too; claiming the product both perfectly compliments and highlights whatever premium tonewood recipe you happen to be converting to voltage, while also overflowing with character sufficient to bring your your dead-sounding plank to life. Pickup sellers understand full-well that people comparing how their magnets interact between two samples of non-magnetic materials as the deciding variable of their guitar sound deserve whatever they get.

Matt08642, kindsage and MatiasTolkki like this.
  6. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

You weren't kidding. Jake Bowen's pickups were always demonstrated with the cover but you could easily find them without the cover. Doesn't seem to be the case with this one. If I'm paying $140 for a snazzy covered pickup, I might as well just go BKP.

7. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Maybe if she didn't use the amount of reverb and chorus on the solo tracks she was doing there might be a hint of an idea of how they sound. Anyway cross between the D-Activator and the Evolution would increasing the output in the D-Activator and reducing the output in the Evolution. I had the Dimarzio in one guitar and the Evolution on another guitar, both completely different woods. I thought the Evolution was a D-Activator before I pulled it out (that's what was advertised when I bought the guitar) and was quite puzzled why it sounded more powerful and focused/compressed in one vs the other. I just thought it had to do with the different heights they were in plus the one with the Evo was a better quality guitar. I totally thought in terms of frequency response that they were the same pickup.

8. MatiasTolkki

All these special covered pickups are stupidly expensive and as much as I'd like to try these or the dark matter 2 pups, TOO expensive.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.