Should I try another pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MetalThrasher, Jan 6, 2018.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

The Black Winter is actually more versatile than you think despite the name. It can get warm rather quickly while still maintaining that edge.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

if you just want a change grab a couple of magnets and swap out for a bit for a few $ its a whole new pick up .and duncans are super easy to swap magnets in

all the customs models are the same pick up with different mags

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Interesting how perceptions can diverge. I replaced the Black Winter with a Distortion in my old RG.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire All black guitars are cancer

I think the black winter is decently versatile. It can definitely do blues/slide guitar and hard rock/metal easily enough, though obviously it's not the best pickup for a mellow jazz tone obviously (I have to really roll off my volume/tone knobs to get a passable jazzy tone) but it's not a one trick pony like the invader or nazgul imo.

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Here's a track I did that I think shows a little of the versatility of the Black Winter. Tremelo picked parts are the bridge, but some of the chords (octaves, I think -- I can't remember how I played it) were on the neck, and there are some cleans using both pickups simultaneously around 2:30ish).

https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/on-the-way-to-vigrid

6. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I've only had a chance to practice last night with them so far. I need to give it more time before forming opinions as I don't want honeymoon phase comments to come out too much, haha! But, I really do like what I heard last night and they react very well to my picking. I pick very lightly, so a high output pickup is perfect for me. I also had the gain on my 5150 down to 10:00 and it is perfectly saturated while still retaining the clarity that SDs are known for. Running through various Testament and Megadeth riffs, I'd say the bridge pickup is absolutely perfect for that kind of stuff. And switching over to the neck pickup for some Petrucci and Vai leads the pickup was much more fluid and smoother than the Distortion I pulled out. On cleans, I only use the neck pickup and the BW stayed clean even on full volume on the guitar whereas the Distortion neck would breakup the amp. Both sound better with a slight roll off on the volume knob, but the BW is much more versatile than the Distortion and not as bright as the Jazz. I'll update as I form more opinions and try other tunings. Good so far!

7. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

Thank you! Please report back once the honeymoon phase is over. Quick question as you say you are a light picker…. I tend to be on the other side of the spectrum so I may be concerned about the pickup being too high output for me.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire All black guitars are cancer

the black winter isn't going to flub out if you pick too hard, worst case you can roll off the volume knob if the output is too much for you. There's a reason we have a dedicated black winter thread, they're really great pickups lol