Should I create a "producer pack" download for my new album?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jsaudio, Jul 5, 2018.

1. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Hey everyone!

I am looking for some of your feedback. I am releasing a new EP August 3rd that is entirely self produced, mixed and mastered. I am considering creating a "producer pack" available for download in which people could get the stems of the songs and/or perhaps mix the songs themselves for practice and such. This EP features some guest solos from Cameron Maynard of The Contortionist, Adam Rafowitz of Arch Echo and Ed Garcia of Vitalism. One song has vocals by Blaine Gaiser of Voices.

Here is the first single from the EP the style is very similar to artists such as Intervals, Plini, Polyphia, David Maxim Micic

Questions:

1. Would you actually be interested in such a thing?

2. Would you want already mixed stems or the DI and midi tracks so you could practice mixing the songs yourself? (pick one)

3. What would you be willing to pay for it (if anything)?

4. What other recommendations do you have that might make it a great and useful product?

Thanks I appreciate your feedback alot

In case you are interested in picking up the album you can get it here

https://bodhimusicofficial.bandcamp.com/

2. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

1. Not personally, but there's definitely interest for it I think.

2. Nothing mixed. Guitars would be nice to have amp and DI from, drums absolutely midi, working with someone else's programmed drums would defeat the whole purpose in my opinion.

3. Honestly nothing. If it featured really well recorded live drums, amps and vocals engineered by a trusted big name engineer I'd pay a little but not for an instrumental with midi drums. There's some great free stems out there from some really big artists and there's also the Nail the Mix thing that is pretty unbeatable value and hard for you to compete with.

4. Very well labeled tracks, liner notes with info on all the gear, signal chains and mic setups used, preferably with photos.

If I were you I'd put it together neatly, give it away for free and view it as a way to promote your music to aspiring mixers. It's not a super powerful marketing strategy and the demographic is incredibly small but it's also not too much work for you to put it out there either so why not.

3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

I hazard to guess there’s just as much interest/demand for the album as the “producer’s pack”; so by all means - Give that ss.org demographic something to talk about over their pizza.

4. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

If you do have a solid fanbase, why not releasing one? It's all extra content.
    I'd give away for free as a bonus content for paid material. Maybe with the physical copy of the album (so you're sure someone pays for the value added in the meantime) or at a very little price together with a digital download or other downloadable content (like +1/5 $). Personally I can't see any interest in a to-pay-for underground artist producer pack released standalone, unless you actually have some name and hype to yourself. I'd consider it as an extra perk, as above. Another idea, you could keep it for Patreon if you happen to have one.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This thread confuses me a little, and I'm trying to put my fingers on why. I guess, for me, it comes down to two things.

1) Do your fans want one?
    2) Do YOU want to release one?

I'm assuming "your fans" and "regular readers of the MG recording subforum" are two different groups, so I'm not sure anything we can tell you is really going to provide much insight into fan demand. Do you have people who have bought previous releases asking for stems? If so, then they'll probably want stems from this one.

And, per my second question, lets be honest, there's a bunch of people releasing music in this forum, and very few of us have any expectation of making a living doing this. I released an album mostly because I wanted to, and was fortunate enough to at least break even on the project. I didn't release it because I thought there was a pent-up demand for one more bluesy/shred instrumental rock album, I just thought it'd be rad as fuck to have a copy of my album out there on iTunes. Do you want to release a "producer pack" version of your album? Like, do you think it'd be a fun, cool thing to do? If so, then fuck it - it's cheaper to release than a physical album, I have to think, so go for it.

JohnIce likes this.
  6. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

In my opinion, if you can diversify your brand as much as possible, you stand the most chance at making a living. Will a producer pack be of interest to everyone who likes your music? Almost certainly not, but distribution costs will amount to a little bit of server space, so why not have it available for the enthusiasts?

7. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Hey guys thanks alot for the input!
    I was kind of thinking this wouldn't be so much for fans that I have but more for people on this forum, other forums and people that may want to get into practicing production on progressive rock kind of stuff. I just didn't know if it would be something people here would even want, so i thought i would ask.

I did hold mix competition a few months back and had about 50 participants but few of them were actually from this forum. So based on your responses and that experience i think it is probably not a good thing to spend the time making a whole pack. But maybe just release a song for people to play with. Also what is your album? Can you drop a link it sounds cool

I agree, Nail the Mix is doing really cool stuff I have spoken to Eyal Levi several times about his business there and it is tough to beat what he is doing for sure.

I think based on the responses I may just release stems for a song to the forum and let people play with it if they are interested.

Thanks guys

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It's in my signature, lol. Listening to your music, you probably won't like it very much, though, it's not very djenty at all. :)