Shipping guitar with neck removed

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Etherealizin, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Etherealizin

Etherealizin New Member

Hey guys, I just made an offer to a guy for a Schecter Damien Elite 8 and he's willing to accept my offer but because shipping cost is crazy between our regions he can only do it if he unscrews the neck and then I bolt it back on when it arrives. Should I be concerned at all doing it this way? I don't have any insight as to how this may affect hardware and sound. Or is there nothing to worry about? Thanks.

If this is better off in a different forum please redirect.

2. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I had to ship a guitAr this way to Iceland years ago. Everything went smooth

3. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

it's the only way i will ship a bolt-on

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, I've done it several times, and have been on the receiving end as well, and have never had a problem as long as it was properly packed.

5. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I feel it's safer, and reattaching the neck is super simple. Just make sure that when you bolt it back on, you be mindful of screw lengths. A lot of bolt ons have tapered heels. As such, they sometimes have two longer and two shorter screws. Just make sure you put the shorter screws in the part with less heel. (Usually the two closest to the neck.)

FILTHnFEAR, 777timesgod and zarg like this.
  6. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

That's how I travel with my guitars on Planes and to me the best option to ship a guitar. Smaller and cheaper package.

As long as the seller packages it well and properly the risk of something breaking is vastly minimized. I even mark what Screw goes where.

A tip when getting the guitar is to rub the Neck Screws on some Wax before reattaching the Neck, You lube them this way and kinda " isolate" the holes for humidity and prevent more friction that removes wood. Candle Wax is more than fine but you can go Bee Wax or similar. Its not necessary, but I got this tip from a Luthier some years ago and use it ever since.

777timesgod likes this.
  7. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I forgot to mention that when I visited NC before I moved here, I put a body and a neck inside a thing of luggage, separated by a blanket. I'm going back home in June and plan on sending a couple guitars back down here the same way. You can get away with a bit more when you ship separately since you don't have to worry about the leverage and stress on a neck pocket area. It's even hard to get the leverage needed to break something on just the neck.

As an example, think of how easy it would be to break a full guitar in half by whacking it on the floor. Then think of how much more difficult it would be to break a neck or body independently. The body is damn near indestructible (beyond scratches and such,) and the neck is considerably more sturdy on it's own. Hell, the only real reason NOT to ship them separate is it's just more convenient to ship a whole guitar. Most people don't like "some assembly required." lol

8. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

As the seller, I would only do it if the buyer specifically asked for it because I’d worry the buyer would incorrectly attach the neck in some way and then try a PayPal dispute after having messed up the guitar.

As a buyer, I have no problem with it and often suggest it if the seller seems hesitant to ship the guitar as a whole. But I can reassemble a guitar practically blindfolded.

9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I detached the neck of my first guitar once (I don't even remember why :lol: ) and had no problem putting it on again, so I don't see any problem with that. Absolutely makes sense - it'll fit into a much smaller box and I think it'll be less likely to break as well...

10. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Not to start an argument between the OP and the seller but did you check the neck (through recent pics logically) and everything is ok? I am not implying that he may try to blame damage during transit if the neck is not OK or if he claims that it was attached badly by you when it arrives.

It is a good idea to save costs but check the neck well before he ships. Logically, everything will be fine if you exercise caution. +1 on the candle wax trick, I read it in a book about guitar maintenance once and it is a solid idea.