Shielding a EMG solderless active system

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Grandit, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Grandit

Grandit Member

Hello,

I recently bought myself a cheap sevenstring and wanted to change the pickups. Now because in the past I struggled with soldering (my soldering iron is reaally bad) and the electronics in the guitar aren't great either i decided to buy active EMG solderless pickups and switch everything. Now i know that EMG pickups are internally shielded. Which means I don't need to shield the pickup cavities. Right? But I want to protect the inside electronics from outside interferences. By the way the shielding paint has been done very poorly. And this is where I am confused. I have read now that when shielding inproperly I will make the humming worse. And it is made inproperly when not connecting the shielding to the grounding wire. Does that mean I have to connect the copper shielding to the grounding wire that is connected to the output jack? If so how am i supposed to this? Or is it enough when the copper shielding is in contact with output jack?

Edit: Will there also be any problems if the copper shielding is in contact with the pots and switch?

I apologize for my sentence structure. English is not my first language. And as you can tell I have never shielded before but it's something I really want to do just to make the guitar perfect.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Get some copper shielding tape on a roll. Cheap and is adhesive.
    Just cut strips, peel of the backing and stick it to the inside of the cavity.

Beware the sides are sharp and will cut you if you are not careful

Grandit likes this.
  3. Grandit

Grandit Member

Yeah I already got a adhesive copper roll. Is this everything I have to do? No connecting to the grounding wire?

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

You specifically do NOT need to ground with EMGS. Infact i think they state not too.
    So you can be completely safe in the knowledge you will be perfectly shielded just using the copper tape.

Grandit likes this.
  5. Grandit

Grandit Member

Ok. This is how it looks like now. So should I just cut the original grounding cable of the guitar?

Edit: I have no idea if the image link works... Nvm figured it out. The grounding wire is now taped off with isolation tape.
    Optimized-IMG_20190217_231606.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    lewis likes this.
  6. Grandit

Grandit Member

Ok now I am having trouble with the wiring. Yes I know its supposed to be easy and I am kinda embarressed. I have wired everything up but I don't get any signal out. This is how i wired it up.

Optimized-IMG_20190218_100549.jpg

Edit: I figured it out. It was because the electronics were in contact with the copper. Does this mean I did it wrong? I covered the places now with foam but now i have the problem that the switch. Well does not switch. Both Pickups get used all the time. Does not matter what setting its on. Did not thought this soderless system is such a pain.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Go back and double check the wiring diagram against how you have it. Also make sure the plugs are on the right way around etc.

Grandit likes this.
  8. Grandit

Grandit Member

Im finished. Woooohoooo. This was really a pain in the ass. Turns out it was the 3 way switch the whole time. The first time I added the foam it was not enough. If there was just a little contact with the shielding it would just say "nope not with me". I removed the copper shielding and tried it putting in back in. Nope shielding paint was enough to shut this damn thing down. Now i added so much foam that there is no way it can get in contact with it at any time. Now everything works fine. Thank god. This is the finished damn thing. And thanks a lot for your help. Might have to manage the cable at some time but after working on it for 3 hours I will do it another day.

Note: The EMG 81 and 60 are damn loud :D
    finished.jpg

aesthyrian and lewis like this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

No problem bud. Glad you got it working.
    I was in the exact same boat 2 weeks ago haha.

aesthyrian and Grandit like this.
  10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

EMG uses shielded wire, so shielding the cavity is not all that necessary.

They are indeed loud, which is all part of the internal preamp. That is the thing with actives, a lower wound pickup that is turned up on the preamp end. It allows you to have a higher output pickup that interacts with the front end of your guitar amplifier and still retain all of that under wound detail without having to use a passive overwound that compresses and loses high end before it even hits the amp.

Grandit likes this.
  11. Grandit

Grandit Member

That's really nice to know for the future. But I would have shielded it with copper anyway. You don't want to know how it looks under there. Its like someone took one brush of shielding paint smeart it on the bottom and said "this looks shit enough". Also after putting strings on it now I must say not only are they loud they also sound really good. Especially the 60. For me it sounds even better than the 81 though. Expected it going the other way round.