Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 for headless?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Sep 13, 2018.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Seriously gas'ing for the Sh15 in bridge and a sentient neck in my headless.

Its a really snappy guitar.
    Anyone care to wade in on the Alternative 8?
    It sounds incredibly interesting in all the metal demos.
    I have experience with the Sentient and rate it as the best Duncan neck pickup imo.
    Want a verstaile set in this. Thinking coil split push/push knob too for the twangy cleans etc.

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

It’s a really nice sounding pickup. I had one in my Padalka before my custom Elysians were built. I also used one in my PRS Custom 24 for a few years as my #1. I wired it for a coil split as well. Great spanky tone out of it.

I have one half assed video clip of me playing a couple riffs through my Archon when it was installed in my Padalka.
    https://www.bitchute.com/video/3FtpqBQiJ3KZ/

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Woah SOLD!
    That sounds incredible through the archon!

Cheers dude. 100% getting one now.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

i've been told from a couple of people that it's pretty tight, twangy and metallic sounding, kind of like the precursor to the aftermath. I'd also love to try one but I can never find them for a reasonable price used.

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thats exactly what translates in demos and clips of them.

Probably why im so interested haha. I feel ya too. Its looking like i am going to have to bite the bullet on new price too.

Although i wanted my set in white and in the UK, the sentient in white is rare and too expensive to import for just being white.

Might get a 59 in white instead to partner up. Going to be way easier to find that.

6. KnightBrolaire

if the alt 8 doesn't work out, hit up elysian. the goliaths are super spanky and modern sounding, and they have tele levels of twang if you coil split them. I had a shit eating grin for months playing my 8 string tele that's loaded with them. They're probably right up your alley

Kyle Jordan and lewis like this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Hows it compare to the Elysian Tridents? I know those are also pretty damn bright.

lewis likes this.
  8. DudeManBrother

The Trident has a bit more pronounced low midrange, which I absolutely love. Bright pickups are great for me, because treble and presence on amplifiers typically come with fizz and noise attached. I’d rather have the pickup wound for lower bass, and elevated mids thru the lower treble range. It just allows for the amps presence and treble to come down a bit, while still punching through.

I’ll have to set up the Archon with those settings and do another clip with the Trident. My Marshall cab is at my drummers so I can’t do an accurate A/B until I get that back.

I’ve made a couple other quick videos of some of my other amps with the Elysians installed.
    Tremoverb:
    https://www.bitchute.com/video/lGFOO1j8OsYN/
    Traynor Custom 100H (with newly installed Hammond output transformer):
    https://www.bitchute.com/video/sAor9XKSIFJy/

I’ve got a Fryette Power Load in the Mail, so hopefully I’ll be able to capture more accurate tones thru my DAW and figure out how to add those sound clips onto videos

Kyle Jordan and lewis like this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yup, I'm the same way. I like to knock up the high end and lower the low end in front of the amp. Gives you a crunchier sound with more attack. And you can just EQ it with the EQ to fix it. :lol:

I've been looking to hot-rod a guitar for drop B as well, and was considering the DiMarzio D Sonic and PRS Tremonti Treble, but now the Alt 8 is in the fray.

DudeManBrother and lewis like this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Really digging the 59/custom hybrid too.

Want to also get those in another guitar.

11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I found the Alternative 8 to sound really tight but also really bright. I was playing in E standard though so not sure for what tuning you'll use it. It seems like a great pickup for downtuning or if used in standard having some of the upper mids rolled off. But great clarity and rich sounding as a pickup.

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Basically i use Drop G# on a 6 but plan to have some songs where the 2nd lowest D# string is "droptuned" further to act like Drop C# and be the lowest string for those songs.

So primary tuning:
    G#, D#, G#, C#, G#, C#

13. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

I will legit PayPal you money if you run your UL fairly cranked with the Power Load in to some IRs and or Two Notes sims. The PL cabinet sim too. I'm struggling to get the clarity of distortion I want with my Mark IV even though I love it. I think the Fryette stuff may give me what I want, but it's been many years since I played a UL or Deliverance. That's why I'm eyeing the GP/DI.

BTW, that Traynor sounds evil.

And for you Trident guys, how much midrange does the Trident bridge pack? I'm not too fond of lots of midrange from the pickup, but if it's not obnoxious or overbearing, I can control it with an EQ before the amp.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

the trident has a good amount of midrange focus, but it's kind of like the black winters where there's a mix of growly low mid and snarly upper mids. I'd say it leans more towards the snarling upper mids though. if you want a less snarly modern sound the hellfires would work better.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  15. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I have an alt8 in my LTD mh 400.
    Very interesting pickup (a bit underrated) tight and relatively high output.
    Very bright andw worksreally well in dark sounding guitars.

lewis likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The tightness is what really appeals to me.

It sounds like a fortin grind is on at all times infront of the amp in demos etc. That works perfectly for me.
    I agree with others in here too, would rather have the pickup voiced this way so i can have treble and presence lower on the amp.

lurè and DudeManBrother like this.
  17. DudeManBrother

Yeah I will definitely be cranking the UL and running different IRs with it; no PayPal necessary haha. Also, if you want, you can PM me with your Mark IV settings and I can try dialing them into mine; and then see if it just needs a few tweaks to get the clarity your after. That said, the UL is a beast and then some as well, I can’t get quite the range of tones from it that I can from the Mk IV, but it just nails certain tones I can’t quite get from a Boogie. I sold my Deliverance 120 once I got the UL because I was able to dial in my go to D120 tone on the Orange channel of the UL.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

well fuck it, i bought an alt 8 to demo. my curiosity got the best of me

Kyle Jordan, lewis and DudeManBrother like this.
  19. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Yes it's tight and bright and would absolutely give you twangy cleans with coil split.
    Also reacts well to height adjustment.
    My LTD is neckthrugh mahogany with maple top and the SH-15 is a perfect match, but I can see it being terrible on swamp ash and bright guitars in general.

lewis likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Hnnnng yesss!!

Could you possibly wire it to a split aswell? Curious if its split tones are tooo twangy on rhythms or if useable.
    I expect cleans to be great both ways