Seven stringed lemon

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by tim_in_seattle, Feb 10, 2018.

1. tim_in_seattle

tim_in_seattle SS.org Regular

Hello,

I wanted to get some advice about my best course of action here. I purchased a new Music Man Monarchy Majesty 7 string the other day from Musician's Friend and received it on Thursday. Nice guitar but a couple of rather glaring issues have arisen: First, sighting down the neck on the high E string side, I can see that the fret ends don't follow a straight line. There is a pretty pronounced mogul at around fret 10 or so. Second, the 21st fret is significantly higher than the 20th, which results in hearing the same note when fingering a string at the 20th and 21st fret. This problem is on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings.

So... should I just return it and have MF send me a different one? Or should I contact Ernie Ball? Or should I take it to a local shop to fix it and have them charge EB under warranty? I live in Seattle so I have some pretty decent choices in terms of where to take it.

Spoiled NGD. Dang.

Tim

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I'd just return it. Way easier, and then you can't get caught on the other side of the return window.

Masoo2 likes this.
  3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

just send it to me :)

but being serious, yeh jsut returned it and get a new one

4. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

How in the heck did that make it through EBMM Q.C.?

Normally their stuff is pretty impeccable

5. PAINGVR

PAINGVR SS.org Regular

I vote return. For the money you spend on a new Petrucci 7 it should look pristine.

6. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Just return it. The high fret is inexcusable at that price point.

Get another one if you otherwise think you liked it. I played one that was fine, so I assume most would be.

7. odibrom

odibrom .

... The high fret could have happen after the QC... storage and stuff can have unpredictable effects on guitars...

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Why is this even an issue? Send it back.

The big benefit of buying from MF is their anything-goes 45-day return period.

FWIW they don't check their guitars from factory to you, and they share the same warehouse with GC and Music123. So the only QC you get is from the manufacturer. You can't blame them because they don't do anything other than forward a container for a fee lol. If you expect a higher level of QC, then you need to buy from places like DCGL and Ibanezrules.

That said, I've had great experiences with MF. Returns/exchanges are always hassle free... and they are always willing to cut a deal, do special orders, upgrade shipping especially after an exchange, etc.

9. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Every single company puts out lemons. It's no big deal though, as OP bought it from musicians friend.

Exchange it. Ebmm really does put out quality products, so the chances of a second dud are insanely slim .

lewis likes this.
  10. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Now I want a lemon shaped yellow guitar

A-Branger and ZombieLloyd like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

return it.
    Thats why that policy exists.

12. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Sent a Monarchy back to MF myself about 2 months ago. Had a huge crack in the back of the neck/headstock. The bridge also wasn't even seated in the trem posts with the knife edges touching it properly. That's easily fixed, but the crack in the back of the headstock?! No one even looked at it. And to top it off, they didn't even send me the serial # I asked for.

13. tim_in_seattle

tim_in_seattle SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll just send it back, pretty logical. I also own a JP12 and it's an immaculate guitar so I know what I can expect with EBMM.

14. chris101

chris101 SS.org Regular

I returned a 6 string Majesty, the neck pickup was installed so misaligned that the screw on one side had taken a chunk out of the routing! Also the strings were off center so that the high E was sitting right on the edge of the fretboard. My JPX was perfect, but I'm very wary of EBMM QC now.

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

just want to save a bunch of quotes from this tread for anytime someone cryes about their 1k$ guitarhas a 0.1mm mistake on a binding and how dare that company to put out such a "lemon" and how their QC is crap and they arent trusted as a company blah blah... you know the treads haha

odibrom likes this.