SD Omega vs. Black Winter

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by capac, Jul 17, 2017.

Which one would you go with

1. Omega

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Black winter

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Hey,

I have this mayones duvell that came stock with nazgul sentinent set. Sentinent is good but nazgul doesn't really convience me. It doesn't have that much clarity and is a bit boomy, really shrill high end, sorta muddy (the guitar is mahogony). Not what I'm used to with BKPs (aftermath and black hawks).

So, which one is better for clarity (chords) and is tighter out of BW and omega? I still want some balls but needs to be really tight.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

Omega is much clearer and is pretty tight feeling (at least on par with the black winter imo).

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

IMO the Nazgul is tighter and clearer than the Black Winter bridge, so I'm not sure a BW is a step in the right direction for you. Seems odd that you find the Nazgul boomy -- I find mine to be very crisp and precise on the low-end -- I even add a little bass in. Very ballsy pickup in my mahogany V with an ebony fretboard. Personally, I find both the Black Winter and Nazgul to be more than tight enough, but I'm not playing djent or any of the offshoots of that tone.

4. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I seriously suggest you watch the best pickup comparison video in this world:

That video is by Seymour Duncan, metal bridge pickups, same guitar and same amp settings, only variable is the pickup.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

To me Omega sounds really unique and could interesting to try. Black Winter is a good one and Custom 5 and the Mustaine one sound really interesting too. Pegasus is ok too. Nazgul sounds like it could be on Symphony of Destruction, mean sound.

6. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

I have both (Omega - PRS Holcomb & BW - Ibanez RGA121).
    • Omega - High/Mid crunch. Really clean and bright in a good way.
    • Black Winter - Low/Mid brootz. It begs to be chugged harder.
    I would go with Omega.

7. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

It actually accomodates that, I always feel that it goes even harder when I chug on the low E.

8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

This +1.

Based on the OP wants... go Omega. The BW has more low mids, and is not as clear/defnined as the Omega. Plenty of low end chug... but if your amp is low-end/bass heavy to begin with, it can be overkill.

bnzboy likes this.
  9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Typically you want a mid-scooped pickup for chord clarity, and a mid-boosted pickup for chugging / single note clarity and definition. The BW and Nazgul are more of the mid-boosted variety, so you probably want something in the opposite direction. Maybe a SH-5 Duncan Custom?

10. capac

capac SS.org Regular

What about bkp cold sweat? I like the amount of mids that bkp black hawks have, but there are small things I don't like about the pickup.

Aftermath and nazgul are a bit too middy for me. I'm afraid CS and custom are too scooped because I still want tight chuggs.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017