SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Me too. My local store has a PRS SVN in grey, which I really like. Here's what that one looks like: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...cTDP82vW7IlQgPyxl_xW1_6ygfCgjfsBoCJvIQAvD_BwE

I played it briefly and thought it played very well. I must admit, for as long as I've been a member here, I've never owned a 7-string guitar and haven't even played them more than a handful of times. I might even trade one of my 6-strings and an amp in for that PRS. I don't think I'd ever go beyond standard tuning (E-Standard with the added low-B 7th string). It would be exclusively so that I could play E-standard stuff but still have that low-B for death metal. So whatever pickups I end up putting in it would not need to handle anything lower than B.

Coil splitting is awesome. It basically adds a few more clean channels to your amp.

2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

^Yeah that was my intention for the low b as well. That way I can play Emperor AND At The Gates on one guitar.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

you could just get a baritone 6 string. I've got 2 that i have tuned beadf#b right now and they kill for entombed riffs.

4. PunkBillCarson

Yeah but I want the entire range of E standard though just in case I want to do some other E standard stuff.

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

That is literally EXACTLY why I want a 7-string.

6. PunkBillCarson

Anyone tried the 6 string versions in basswood? I'm selling the guitar that my Black Winters are in, and I've got the idea of putting them in my Ibanez Iron Label.

7. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I would think they would work quite well, Keith Merrow used a JP-6 for this video when they first came out.

Headache likes this.
  8. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Do it. Basswood below.
    [​IMG]

9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

10. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Just checking in for a questions to you users, since I've seen some comparisons in the very first pages.

Gimmicks aside, isn't the BW just a revoiced/different EQ'ed Distortion? That's what I always perceived since its launch.
    Like a "grimier" Distortion, while the Nazgul is the "djentier" (think modern cocked wah, djent voicing) Distortion? I'd just like some info about the actual differences between the 3.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

the black winter is probably closer to a mix of the custom 5 and the distortion. nazgul is more nasal/upper mid focused and feels like a jb/distortion mix imo.

12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have always felt like the BW bridge was kind of like a mix of an improved Distortion/Invader, with tighter lows, and less fizzy highs. It is almost like a low/hi band-limited Invader.

Beheroth likes this.