SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Just ordered a black winter 7 bridge pickup for my Chris Broderick soloist 7 which is a neckthrough mahogany.. gonna be pretty brutal i suspect :mf666:

rexbinary likes this.
  2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yep. Welcome to the club. :mf666::deathm:

Sumsar likes this.
  3. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I've switched everything over to Black Winters bar two guitars which I'm waiting for pickups to come in the mail. I have a problem.

rexbinary and The906 like this.
  4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

You've got a fever. And the only prescription...is more Black Winter.

rexbinary likes this.
  5. Vyn

It's pretty bad when you've spent close to $2k USD on pickups in the past month xD

rexbinary likes this.
  6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yes, I'd say you've got a problem. :lol:

Though, if I had enough money, I'd be that way with amps.

7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, I got the pickup and got it into the guitar - sounds great. Did a cover using it, check it out:

8. -JeKo-

-JeKo- SS.org Regular

What's this talk about the sonic difference between the trembucker and regular spaced one? I mean, that can't possibly affect the tone, can it?

9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

It would be imperceptible, tonewise. Mostly a cosmetic thing.

10. Metalman X

Metalman X The Resplendent Sub-Human

Manchester, CT., United States Of Vinland
    Anybody here experiment with the neck BW in the bridge position?

I recently returned back to these pickups after going active for a stint again..... damn, these just WORK!

Now, in this switch, I realized after selling off some of my extra BW's.... dammit.... and I'm broke... so I only had one set of neck/bridge I kept. I put the bridge back into my single humbucker BC Rich Ironbird.... and I wound up trying the neck in the bridge position on my BC Rich Virgin.

And I gotta say.... with some appropriate tweaks in my main patch on my Axe FX, it sounds very similar to the bridge. Basically, to my ears the difference is slightly les output, and a little more clarity, with the mids slightly shifted. Like.... if you ever fancied a Black Winter bridge but with the bit mire chilled output of a Fulll Shred, you need to give this a go!

Also, you dont need to flip the pickup around for this. I originally installed it this way with the logic of keeping the screwheads towards the bridge as they'd be oriented with the actual bridge model. This had a sound too, but not much different. it sounded better installed the regular way, with the Duncan logo facing the way it should.

I might post up some samples in the coming week. Been tracking my rhythm parts on some stuff with the Ironbird left, and the Virgin right. They seem to compliment eachother well in the mix, which isn't terribly surprising I suppose. But hey, if your broke, or bored, give this a shot. Curious to see anybody else thoughts on this

11. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

I swapped the magnet of my BW neck out for an Unoriented Alnico 5 magnet, and while doing so I noticed the neck had a double thick ceramic magnet.

Had to cut a bit of cardboard to space it out correctly.

Ended up swapping the BW bridge for a Custom, but maybe I shoulda tried swapping the bridge and neck first?

Wanted clearer/less saturated in the bridge and warmer/hotter in the neck

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Did another cover using the 7 string Black Winter bridge. Clip has Normal rythm playing, dirty/clean as well as leads, so hopefully it gives people some idea what this pickup can do :)

Ironbird666 likes this.
  13. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

There's a particular growl BW's have that I just can't get enough of. Nice cover man, and I must say, as good as your guitar playing is I really enjoyed your bass technique! It's always nice watching someone play with their fingers rather than grab a pick (I'm guilty of grabbing a pick Lol).

Vyn and Sumsar like this.
  14. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yes I have really been getting into bass playing the last 6 months and it is fun and I think it sounds better.

Btw I updated the mix somewhat:

Ironbird666 likes this.
  15. Vyn

So much this. I don't know what it is, it just sounds right. It's not fizzy but it's still savage as fuck.

Ironbird666 likes this.
  16. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

It's something in the midrange for me. It's unique overall - it's a pickup that sort of sounds "messy" but clear at the same time, there's a snarl to chords when you pick them with authority, and there's a nice sizzle overtop that adds some dirt to the sound but it's not harsh. It's just mean, but not mean in the Nazgul, punishing, pummeling sort of way. What I REALLY like about the BW is how it can do all of this while pulling off some pretty good cleans for a high output humbucker. I have 4 bridge BW's in my herd and it takes all I have not to rip out some of my other pickups to install more BW's. Lol

KailM likes this.
  17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

^^^Agreed. It is the holy grail of pickups for me, at least in the bridge. Gnarly, authoritative, and yet musical. Cleans are excellent.

Ironbird666 likes this.
  18. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I recorded all the guitar parts on my EP (link in bio) using a KM6 with Black Winters.

Hands down some of my favorite tones come from that thing.

LeviathanKiller likes this.