Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. itll_be_ok

itll_be_ok SS.org Regular

Is binding in MKI painted or something? In the picture it looks like scratched places are kind of white. Anybody knows?

2. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Yeah, looks like the same issue. Sad to see this happen again. This is my first mistake from Schecter. Hopefully, the last.

I play music likes this.
  3. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Damn that's really too bad. That's a definite exchange for me. If you get a second one like that though, that would be a full refund for me and I'd stay away until they fix these problems. At this price, these guitars should not have these problems.

4. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

That makes me sad. Hope you get it worked out.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  5. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Really sorry this happened man, what a bummer.

This is what I was afraid of. I assume these are made at WMI factory? I have seen nothing but problems with them and their QC and I am hesitant to ever order anything made in that factory again.

Edit: Also this: Absolutely send back. A brand new guitar should not have anything close to issues like this at any price, let alone this price. Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Albake21 and LeviathanKiller like this.
  6. LeviathanKiller

This is kind of like Agile in the regards that when you pay more you just get better features, not additional QC.

Really dumb that all of my other KMs were fine but then the most expensive one ends up being a turd. Maybe it's that first batch/run that they do that gets rushed or something and ends up being a bag full of problems. Returning today and should have my replacement sometime in the next few days. If the next one is bad, I MIGHT debate getting another (from a different retailer just in case zZounds got a bad batch), but after that the 3 strikes and you're out is it for me. I'll wait at least a year before I'd think about purchasing one again. All speculation though. We'll see what becomes of attempt #2.

Also, it's kinda stupid that they'll get around to my order for a new one faster than they will the return. I cancelled the new order and just went the exchange route in the end (instead of refund while new one ships) so now it's added on time. Lame

All that said, I can't explain how amazing this guitar feels. The neck is so slick feeling. The woods look amazing. Bridge feels great. The tuners man, so precise. I'll be sorely disappointed to receive another dud.

7. Jacksonluvr636

I have no idea what that issue is but it almost looks like someone dragged it across something or dropped it onto something?

Hard to say if it was the builder shop or the dealer shop who is responsible but I did also see another user with dented fretboard so who knows.

I do feel that when something is hot and flying off the shelves the builders become careless because they are being rushed, this helps no one. I feel that was the case with my previous issue with WMI guitars.

So aside from aesthetic issues, how does this guitar stack up? It still seems like it is going to be a killer guitar once you get one without issues.

$1,700 is very steep man. This angers me, I feel that I am more upset about this than you are haha.

8. LeviathanKiller

It was bubbled and then chipped off like that after touching it. Kind of like excess nut glue but I'm pretty sure this was the finish. I just don't understand why the coat of the finish would have been wrapped slightly over the edge onto the fretboard. That's what helped it start chipping on some frets. On others, it was already bubbled up ready to chip and fall off.

It's worth it to try to get a decent one. I love my MK-IIs and this just one-ups everything. It really felt so good in my hands.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  9. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Well I hope your next one is a good one. I know how excited you were for these, so hopefully it works out.

10. musicman61554

musicman61554 SS.org Regular

Damn......def a bummer with this batch of guitars. Going to hold off til everything gets fixed.

11. LeviathanKiller

Not confirmed to be the batch just yet. I'll post back about #2 when I get. Which I should be getting tomorrow actually! If not then, Monday. :)

12. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

If it was me and for the money they are asking, hell no. Not acceptable.

13. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Honestly if memory serves right pretty much 90% of first batches in recent years have been like that if not worse, I'm not surprised. It's like at Wmi always need some time to adjust the shot. Send back, get another, if messed up send back, get refund and reporte to Mike Ciravolo.

14. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Yeah, these first run production imports scare me in that they're probably always rushed and haven't ironed out all the kinks in assembly. Not worth the money to keep it. Just like Zado said, I'd send it back and hope for a better one...if no good, full refund.

15. MKII

MKII SS.org Regular

Man. I been looking at getting a new axe for months. All i can say is the QC control of guitars today is really bad. Like across the board, Jackson, ESP, Ibanez. None are immune.

I been looking at Sweetwater and they suppose to have 55 point inspection, well i see plenty of what imo should have never left the factory in their inventory with pics! Their 55 point inspection is a joke at best apparently. I mean i am super picky, but mostly when buying something new, you have the right to be.

One thing really annoys me is bridges that aren't aligned correctly, huge pet peeve of mine. Jackson has had this issue for a very long time, but now it's more wide spread.

Anyway. To the point. I been really interested in one of the KMII or SLS C-7, so i have a question for you guys. Is the Schecter 7 string fretboard width wider than your typical Ibanez 7 for instance? I guess like a 7321 neck? Nut width seems the same, 1.8" or so, but in pics it seems like there is a lot of fret left on either side of the low B and high E string.

Maybe due to the longer scale, i assume, just now thought of that. I tried the only Schecter 7 string they had at guitar center the other day and it was a Demon 7, just to get a feel for their instruments in general. The fretboard felt HUGE, but also i have not played a 7 in a few years, and then they were 25.5" scale when i did.

Also, the neck profile was a plank! Jezuz. Way too thin and had high shoulders, basically felt like a piece of plywood, and perhaps the flatness made it feel bigger than it was, but
    is that the general "Ultra Thin C" profile that's on the SLS and KMii's?

Crazily enough, if you watch Keith play, he actually plays like an old blues player with his thumb wrapped almost around the top of the fretboard! Definitely unusual fretting hand position for such a shredder type neck.

But anyway, yeah, i'm basically asking is the "SLS" profile different than the general Ultra thin C or thin C of the other/or cheaper models?

My preference on a 7 is or was a Wizard II, or general D shape with a slightly flatted back, middle of the road not too thick not too thin.

Oh and also. Are the Schecter x Jumbo frets like Legit Extra Jumbo like 6100/Ibanez/Jackson, or more of that not so jumbo jumbo?

Thanks for any help or opinions, am getting disillusioned and am about to give up and wait another 10 years, but i'll be geriatric by then!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  16. LeviathanKiller

Well dang, it's not arriving until Tuesday.
    Funny how you can place a new order through zZounds and get free one-day shipping. If it's a replacement for a messed up piece of gear, 3 days.
    I think I'm done doing business with zZounds.

17. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I guess it makes sense to entice new customers, but too many business drop the ball in EXISTING customers. Small time luthiers and shops often get it, but bigger businesses do not. As an existing customer, you’ve proven that you have money, and are willing to spend it on a nice guitar. With them. They should really be courting you. Instead, you’re getting worse customer service than if you’d never done business with them in the past. And, as an existing customer, you’ll probably also be spammed by emails. :lol:

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have seen this same issue on PRS guitars, and Kiesel guitars before. There are pictures out there that are very similar, where the finish starts chipping away from the fretboard like that.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. Jacksonluvr636

Shitty. I have never used them but I think the big retailers are all the same.

TBH without the 0% financing that some of them offer there is no reason to even buy from them IMO. That is the only reason I have a SW card.

I would always prefer to buy a guitar in person so you do not have to deal with the nonsense but those monthly payment plans are glorious.

20. LeviathanKiller

Torturing myself tonight. Found this video :)

AkiraSpectrum likes this.