Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Are you suggesting there's something coming below the MK-III import that we're talking about? Because that's not been mentioned at all from what I can tell. What were wondering is what the import is going to be priced at compared to the USA model.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

You can always go for the Schecter SLS Elite series. I've seen them new for $900. Shit ton cheaper for the same quality and features you want.

Also I do remember it being mentioned way back when these were first talking about. The cheaper models are supposed to not have any nice top or woods and maybe even different pickups, but the style still stays.

3. LeviathanKiller

I have an C-7 SLS Elite and the C-7 Apocalypse and disagree
    The older variants have some thick necks too

4. Albake21

The new SLS Elites have the exact same neck profile as the KM7s. The Apocalypse on the other hand does have the thicker C shape profile.

5. LeviathanKiller

Really? It feels so different imo
    I'm going to have to check mine out when I get home. I can't remember if it's glossy or not. I don't think it is but there's something about that's noticeable.

Here's my comparison I posted a while back. I still haven't found any Schecter guitar that has those specs/features. I know you say there's Elites out there with what I want but I don't agree because the KM has a lot of features I think you're overlooking that the other Schecter models don't have.
    http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...good-to-have-a-prs-again.329991/#post-4880730

That was the whole point of the KM signature model. To offer what wasn't already offered all in one package.

I can't think of a single Schecter that has a thin contoured body similar to the KM MK-IIs. I love the S series Ibanez has but have never liked other parts of the ones I've played so this was a huge win for me.

Jericho Guitars does the MIK WMI thing and charges around the same price. Those are great guitars too but not even they have some of the features that these do.

I'm not trying to make sure that I disagree with you just for the heck of it, I promise. If you can find something at a cheaper price (even used) that has all of those features, I'm all ears. If there was anything I could change about the KMs it would be to go to 27" scale and offer more finishes so I could justify having more of them.

This is what I look for:
    • Fixed bridge
    • Ebony fingerboard (so long as it isn't maple or rosewood)
    • Thin(ner) neck
    • Satin/oiled neck (unglossed)
    • Thin body (preferably contoured)
    • Minimum of 26.5" scale length
    • Passive pickup routing
    • Carbon fiber reinforcement rods or graphite
    • Graphite or Ernie Ball nut (not generic plastic, factor in price if after-market)
    • Locking tuners (factor into cost if after market)
    • Wheel truss rod adjustment at body (semi-optional)
    • Glow-in-the-dark side dots (optional)

6. dirtool

dirtool SS.org Regular

Keith said there will be an entry level MKIII along with the import MKIII, around $400-600 range, Indonesia made, same shape, no fishman , solid color, etc.

7. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I have joined the Keith Merrow militia! I never thought I'd buy a Schecter in my life but the allure surrounding these became strong.. It helped that I got a mint condition customer return for a cool $570!

Early impressions; The neck is a bit wider than I'd hoped/expected. It measures at 2 7/16" where has my Ibanez 1527s and DCM 100 clock in at about 2 1/16". The almost half inch is definitely noticeable to me.

Also my first time FINALLY trying out the Nazgul and Sentient. I dig the Sentient a lot already but I'm still working on taming the Nazgul. All in the guitar looks great with only one minor workmanship defect (a little paint from the body bleeding into the side inlay area around the 24th fret) and feels really well constructed. Feels VERY heavy, most likely the heaviest guitar I currently own. I kind of like that actually haha. The bad boy does need a set up before I really assess it but so far so good!

[​IMG]

8. LeviathanKiller

Hmmmm
    I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for that then. Could make a great replacement to one of my Agile guitars I'm thinking of getting rid of.

I've noticed there's a big weight variation in these it seems like. Both of mine are lighter than all of my other guitars I believe but my natural finished one is the lightest of the two KMs and it's a tie between it and the C-7 Apocalypse for lightest guitar I own period.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Frey likes this.
  9. LeviathanKiller

Yup, there's a glossiness to the SLS Elite neck. It's not like a full glossed neck but it's definitely much stickier than then KMs which are just oiled or whatever. For some reason, the Natural Pearl one's neck is even more fast/smooth than my Black Pearl one.

10. Albake21

That seems super weird considering they both have a satin finish on the back. You could always consider doing a super light sanding to the neck to really smooth it out.

11. LeviathanKiller

Could it be the neck woods?
    KM-7 MK-II: Maple/Wenge
    C-7 SLS Elite: Maple/Walnut/Padauk

I need to un-gloss one of my Agile necks too. I should really look into how to sand a neck properly and seal it right.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

how to sand:
    buy sandpaper
    rub sandpaper of various grits on surface. i'd say start with 100 and work up to 400 , the neck finish should be pretty thin so it shouldn't take too long.
    repeat until desired level of feel
    depending on the woods, you may or may not need to seal the wood (maple needs some oil at minimum but wenge/padauk don't need anything iirc) buy some watco danish oil (or tung oil) and rub into the neck wood

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  13. LeviathanKiller

Do you need to periodically re-oil it?

14. KnightBrolaire

every once in a while. you don't need much since maple is closed pore (basically) and wenge doesn't really need to be oiled.

15. LeviathanKiller

How much is every once in a while? :lol:

16. KnightBrolaire

maybe once a year if that, depending on how much you play it

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  17. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

fgmirra, LeviathanKiller and Joose like this.
  18. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

I love this thing.
    BD1C3D3B-F3F4-4A31-9A51-EDACA98C94F9.jpeg