Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Zok

Zok SS.org Regular

I'm looking into a set and I was thinking about putting a 23a 12v battery. Those are about the size of a AAA. Not sure how long the battery will last, however.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Never heard of someone using those before. You could ask Fishman and see what they say.

3. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Just use the recharge pack or a 9v.

I think it was Frank falbo who addressed people on an 18v mod question that there is no point in using higher voltages than 9 as they're designed differently from regular active pickups.

4. Albake21

He wants to use them because the battery pack or 9v wont fit into the back cavity of KM guitars.

5. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Oh right sorry

6. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Keith Merrow posted a "story" on his Instagram in the past day or two showing the back of a MK-III import's headstock and he put "SOON" on the pic. Hopefully we're going to get these available to us shortly!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. Albake21

At the very least I just want to know what it looks like compared to the USA models and the price. The price is what scares me.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

I'd guess the mkiii is going to be inline with the newer mkii prices. so at least 1400$+

9. Albake21

Yup which is way too much for a MIK guitar. I don't care what features it has, I would never spend over $1200 for a MIK guitar. I would love to know what the first sales have been for the newer MKIIs, I highly doubt they are going to sell at that price.

10. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Well, in Europe the MK-II with the Fishmans is €1599,-, which is absolute bullshit. So the MK-III will probably be exorbitantly expensive.

EDIT: it seems only the natural one is that expensive... Maybe a mistake on Thomann.

11. jwoods986

jwoods986 SS.org Regular

Hey everyone! Looking at a used KM-7 and tried finding info here, but there's almost 200 pages! From just going back a few pages, I've learned there's a Mk I, II,and soon a III. Also, that any of the Lambo colors are MkIs. The one I'm thinking about it Lambo Orange, so it's a MkI, what are the differences between a MkI and II? Anything to look out for on a MkI? (I thought I read something the other week about switch/wiring issues, but can't find it again)

12. Albake21

Besides just the body style/looks, the big difference with MK1 and MK2 was the quality control. The MKIIs improved on this a lot while the MKIs had a decent amount of visual problems. The MK2 also has a better nut. I'm not so sure there is anything else that is different. MKIs are still fantastic guitars, I personally prefer MKIIs for the look and quality.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  13. LeviathanKiller

I bought one of the newer MK-IIs. I don't regret it at all. Great guitar and the pickups are awesome. I wouldn't have paid that much if I didn't want them in it though.

I have a budget of $2000 USD for it. If it's over that, I'm just skipping it and getting my Aristides 070.

I'm thinking these are going to land for $1600 to $1800 USD honestly.

14. Albake21

But that's my problem. Think about all of the amazing guitars you can buy for that money.... You can get a custom shop Kiesel, you can get a MIJ Ibanez Prestige (for cheaper I might add), used Parker, Music Man, USA Jackson. With so many options at that cost, what is the point of spending that much for a MIK guitar?

15. LeviathanKiller

Because it has the features and looks I want
    I've looked over everything stock sold on Musician's Friend, Zzounds, Sweetwater, American Musical Supply and the KMs were the best options for the features I wanted and looks I was happy with. Believe me, I made a list of everything that fell within my criteria and bookmarked them (still have them bookmarked since I've been acquiring some here and there still yet). There's plenty of amazing guitars to get for around this price but they're not THIS guitar. If you know a custom builder that can basically make me a KM-7 MK-III for the same price or cheaper with all of the same features or more, PLEASE let me know. I'll be all over that. (Unless it's Kiesel probably lol)

16. Albake21

Looks wise? Sure there really isn't anything in the price range. But features? You can absolutely grab any guitar and add hipshot hardware and a Fishman KM set. Hell you can buy a lot of guitars with Hipshot already on there. Just add the Fishmans. Especially with the amount you will save compared to the price tag of what the MKIII will be.

17. LeviathanKiller

Ultra thin body, stainless steel frets, glow-in-the-dark side dots, carbon fiber reinforcement rods, spoke wheel adjustment instead of covered

That's stuff you can't add-on after the fact very easily if at all

18. dirtool

dirtool SS.org Regular

there's an entry level MIII coming too

19. jwoods986

jwoods986 SS.org Regular

The guitar I'm interested in isn't local, so I can't play it first. For reference, the GC near me has a new C7 SLS Elite that I played last week, and reeeeally liked it. Just didn't like the $1259 price with no case. So will a MkI KM-7 feel similar?

20. Albake21

Feeling wise, the KM7 is pretty similar, but quality wise I'd say the the SLS is closer to the MKII, not the MKI. There have been a lot of posts recently about problems with the blue and orange MKIs.

jwoods986 likes this.