Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

his new guitar makes me seriously miss my old Agile built "Kraken" 8 string guitar.
    Very very similar aesthetic -

[​IMG]

Shame I sold it to my bassist, although he promised me a buy back if he ever wanted rid!!!

Black_Sheep and Mathemagician like this.
  3. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

I'm really curious to get a ballpark as to how much these are gonna cost as production models. I REALLY wish they'd make one with Predator inlays and a maple fingerboard.

KnightBrolaire and lewis like this.
  4. Samark

Samark SS.org Regular

Eagerly awaiting Keith's first video with this!

lewis likes this.
  5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I'd say about $3000 based on what the other USA production models cost.

lewis likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

as much as Im normally completly against the direction that guitar prices is heading in,
    in the current climate, its hard to argue against that valuation.

Seems like it would be excellent value for money. The features and spec etc are incredible.

Mathemagician likes this.
  7. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Reminds me a lot of the Mayones Duvell. Which is no bad thing!!

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

Now they just need to find someone willing to pay $3000 for a Schecter :lol:

Honestly, I think the design is too close to the Duvell. Still, this might be one of the best looking Schecs i've seen.

9. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

$3000 for a US custom shop guitar with those specs seems like a very good price to me. Not even Kiesel can compete with that price for those specs

lewis likes this.
  10. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

It will hardly be priced like that imho. The Ashba signature, which is a far simplier guitar - costs 3,1k. True, it's loaded with susteiniac, but it doesn't have a superfigured top or extremely pricey pieces of hardware.

11. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Wouldn't a price that high completely defeat the purpose of the guitar? One of the main reasons the mk II is so successful is because of how cheap it actually is for what it offers. If it's gonna replace the mk II at that price point, they're gonna lose out on a lot of customers.

12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

$3000 is a fair price for their quality. I own a Schecter custom shop and that was only after I'd tried 2 master built Mayones and an EBMM JP. The Schecter felt better.

This would be a USA production it seems. They most likely wouldn't remove the KM 2 or even the 1 as they're pretty much staples of the Schecter line up now.

13. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Consider the Schecter CS is not meant to follow the line of the Diamond Series "nice for the price", it's all about delivering high quality stuff just like any CS out there. And considering what you get in the end, they can really ask whatever they want.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

It’s kind of funny to think about it. If that thing comes out and people won’t “pay that price b/c it’s a Schecter” that’s on the buyers. Keith and Schecter clearly know what peoole WANT, and a US custom shop is a US custom shop.

People were still willing to give BC Rich’s custom shop praise just 5-7 years ago, even while admitting BCR’s retail lineup had been garbage for close to 20 years.

But “ew it says Schecter” is kind of funny. If they sell well but not amazing it means they can’t justify a price hike, just means better guitars for me at multiple price points.

15. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

People who say that are obviously ignorant. Schecter's USA guitars are very much so worth the price, my personal favorite guitars I have in my collection.

Mathemagician and lewis like this.
  16. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

Well, personally I've been disappointed with everything Schecter. The second guitarist of my old band is a Schecter fanboy and during the time our band was active (2 years) he had 7 different models from different price ranges (including USA made schecs) and I tried them all. One time even played a gig with a Hellraiser 7. Im not here to bash but I really wouldn't associate the word "quality" with Schecter.

Again, not trying to be a douche. They're not bad guitars, but not great either. Im not saying "ew, Schecter", im giving them a chance every now and then and I do like some of their models.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

if there was even a chance of them releasing a mik km8 with a maple board and red inlays I'd be on that like stink on shit. While I've heard great things about their us custom shop, for that kind of price I'd rather actually get a custom I specced.

18. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

I saw Keith replying to an Instagram comment a while back where he said that a KM8 is pretty unlikely/low priority because he very rarely plays 8 strings and doesn't see it filling a niche that he personally needs. So maybe don't get your hopes up on that, haha.

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

who knows, maybe another km8 prototype will pop up on drumcity. If not, then I guess I need to save up for another custom.

20. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

It's a matter of experience and taste, if I had to judge brands accordingly to my experience and preference I'd describe EBMM as both great and terrible at times, Ibanez as impersonal/cheap feeling, Gibson as decent at best, Mayones as worst popular guitar design around (along with Kiesel).