Schecter Damien Platinum 7 or Ibanez RGIR27FE

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by guitarguru83, Aug 11, 2013.

1. guitarguru83

guitarguru83 SS.org Regular

Ive been lurking on these forums for months now and ive finally decided to take the plunge...

Ive narrowed it down to 2 7 strings and i really need some input from members. Ive played the Iron Label Ibanez Ibanez RGIR27FE Iron Label Electric Guitar, 7-String at zZounds and i really enjoyed it, i cant find anywhere that has the Schecter Schecter Damien Platinum 7 NT Electric Guitar, 7-String at zZounds

The Ibby:
    - Body: Basswood
    - Neck: Nitro Wizard-7
    - Frets: 24 Jumbo frets
    - Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
    - Bridge: Gibraltar Standard 7
    - Pickups: EMG 707 Neck and Bridge Humbuckers
    - Other Electronics: Killswitch

The Schecter:
    - Construction: Set Neck with Ultra Access
    - Body: Mahogany
    - Neck: 3-pc Maple
    - Finger Board: Rosewood
    - Frets: 24X Jumbo
    - Inlay: Platinum Bats
    - Bindings: Platinum Multi-Ply
    - Tuners: Grover
    - Pickups: EMG Active 81-7/85-7
    - Electronics: Volume/Tone/3-Way
    - Bridge: TonePros TOM System
    - Scale: 26.5 inches
    - Hardware: Satin Chrome

Is the finish on the schecter neck heavy? does it slow your hand down? Is the 26.5 scale difficult to adjust to? Im not like a crazy shredder but i do enjoy getting my shred on from time to time. My band plays music similar to Down, Eyehategod, Crowbar (very NOLA influenced) heavy, doomy stuff.

I know everyones gonna say go with the Ibanez since youve played it but i really like the Schecters looks and im always willing to try something new.

Any help would be appreciated

2. guitarguru83

Ive never had a neck through as i always feel it slows me up with the finish. Ive heard Schecters have some sort of satin neck that doesnt feel all that different. I could be wrong though

3. User Name

User Name Banned

i have always been fans of schecters. i have tried the platinum 8 and it was a very solid guitar for that price range i can only imagine the 7 string is similar. schecters mid to high end erg's tend to be much better quality than the lower quality stuff that schecter tends to get judged on.

alot of people pick up a used omen 7 and are disappointed then they just blow off every guitar the company makes as crap. alot of people just refuse to own schecters simply because they ARE schecters. its a little crazy if you ask me.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'd pick the Schecter for the better pickups (81-7/85-7 > 707), X-Jumbo frets, and the slightly longer scale.

5. guitarguru83

I am really leaning towards the schecter, i can always return it if it doesnt work out.... Id still love to read opinions.

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

This. The pickups and scale are subjective of course, but the bigger frets would be a MUST for me. I just feel like I have more control with taller frets I guess.

7. guitarguru83

i worry they may be too big, i have smaller hands for a dude. haha. i worry hand fatigue would be an issue with the longer scale, but im sure you get used to it pretty quick

8. User Name

User Name Banned

indeed you can, and the benefits of a longer scale are worth it definitely.

9. rjnix_0329

rjnix_0329 SS.org Regular

I'll admit I'm already a fan of Schecters, but that Damien Platinum 7 is actually one of my favorite Schecters that I've played. Great guitar, I will be buying one shortly.

The pickups sounded very nice and tight, and the neck was the most playable Schecter neck I've played. Very nice body design, it felt very nice in my hands and against my body. It isn't too heavy, like some Schecters can be.

I really like the looks of it, too. Much better than the old Damiens in my opinion.

10. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

The 707's are a little more bass heavy then the 81-7's. You can easily swap the 707 out though. In my opinion Ibanez Guitars usually play better for me then Schecters. They are both really awesome guitars, can't go wrong either way. ]

Found this on youtube, compare pickup test.
    If they are the solderless pickups you can swap them out in a second.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Speaking of playability; this was for the Damien Platinum 8, but apparently they have the SLS neck profile, according to someone that owned one. Not sure if this is true for the 7 or 6 string version. May want to ask Schecter about that.

12. User Name

User Name Banned

yeah if you want to brighten it up a bit switch the 707 in the bridge for an 81-7

13. Najka

Najka SS.org Regular

14. guitarguru83

Im not a huge fan of active pickups, I just started using them recently and im still on the fence. I feel like they sound kind of sterile (i know thats everyones complaint) the cleans are great though, i almost feel theres too much treble with real high gain stuff. I can eq it out of course.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'm not a fan of the 707 because I feel theres a bit too much low end, but the 85-7 should be better since it's supposed to be a "true" 7-string 85. If you get the Damien and don't like the 81-7, swap it for the 85-7 in the bridge, and the 81 in the neck.

16. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue Frankensteeeeein!

One thing that's always significantly different between Ibanez and Schecter are neck widths. Ibanez has really earned their reputation for the thin, fast neck. Schecter's necks are not bad by any means, but they're much more substantial and hefty. If you're at all concerned about hand size or playing speed, it would behoove you to try out a Schecter before you buy one as they are truly another instrument all together.

17. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

I am a major Ibanez fanboy but I have to say, I played a Schecter Damien Platinum 6 that was just terrific. I can't speak highly enough about it. It was comfy, fast and sounded great.

I guess all I can really add though (having not played the 7) is that the satin neck is nice and fast. No stick at all.

18. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Also, the 85 (bridge) / 81 (neck) combo is also awesome. Lots of chunk and punch. And the 81 in the neck was a lot better for cleans and shredding.

19. guitarguru83

thats an awesome idea! i personally would like an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

As I said before, if the Schecter has the SLS profile, this will be extremely close to an Ibanez neck, just a bit less flat.