Rush is "done" according to Alex Lifeson

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BenjaminW, Jan 18, 2018.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

In a recently posted interview with The Globe and Mail, Alex Lifeson pretty much confirms Rush is "basically done". With that being said and the fact this is probably the billionth time this is been said, I figured I'd post it here since a lot of fellow Rush fans including myself are circling over this post

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...ve-as-i-want-tobe/article37620762/?cmpid=rss1

2. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Well, another nail in the coffin. It was good while it lasted, saw them five times. They deserve a good retirement.

BenjaminW likes this.
  3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Neil should announce a new band and tour on April Fool’s.

BenjaminW likes this.
  4. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Nothing new, but I keep my regular comment to this:

If one band deserves to call it quits it is Rush. These guys put out enough musical ideas for 30 other bands and it is a total miracle that Peart continued doing so after all the shit he went through.

A nice retirement to all of them.

Xiphos68, CTID, auxioluck and 8 others like this.
  5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Good for them all. They had a fantastic run. Over 40 years with the same lineup after John Rutsey, released consistently good albums and learned how to adapt and survive through the musical changes throughout the decades.

Alex and Geddy do seem to show that their musical hunger hasn't dwindled so I'm looking forward to what else they get up to.

aesthyrian, Xiphos68 and auxioluck like this.
  6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

If this really is their time to hang it up, I wish them all the best. They are truly deserving of respect regarding their decisions about touring, recording, disbanding, etc. Better to go out on top rather than continue putting out albums that show a steady decline in integrity. True fans shouldn't want that. Retire the name while it still remains untarnished.

"Days of barefoot freedom racing with the waves
    Nights of starlit secrets, crackling driftwood flames
    Drinking by the lighthouse, smoking on the pier
    Still we saw the magic was fading every year"

Xiphos68 and BenjaminW like this.
  7. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

My favorite band of all time, hands down. No other band has ever even come close for me. Their days of prog epicness in the 70’s with songs like Fountain of Lamneth, The Necromancer, 2112, Xanadu, Hemispheres I and II, etc. are masterpieces. And they were so fucking heavy for a three piece. The Necromancer to this day hits so hard.

When Permanent Waves came out and they shifted their songwriting away from long epics, Neil’s lyricism totally expanded and actually made you think; the dude is a poet and a lyrical genius. Not to mention such a disgusting drummer. Signals might be my favorite album of theirs from the 80’s; the lyrical relationship between “The Analog Kid” and “The Digital Man” is both thought provoking and just plain cool. Vapor Trails is a modern masterpiece, and Clockwork Angels was such a cool return to their prog/story telling roots that I’m totally okay with “The Garden” being the swan song of Rush. Best band ever.

I’ve said before that it’s so inspiring to see three true lifelong friends able to spend their entire adult lives together just writing the music THEY wanted to write. They really do deserve the retirement.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Good.

Really good to see them end it on a high note, instead of years of phoning it in.

9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Nothing but mad respect for them. They provided enough inspiration to last for many years far beyond, and they have earned their right to call it a day, and do so on a good note.

On another note, I have heard tell that Lee/Lifeson are entertaining the idea of an entirely new project with a different drummer, NOT calling it RUSH, and exploring some other paths, but I don't know how tangible that news is. I could see Lifeson retiring since his arthritis seems to be intensifying, and I do know he loves golf.

10. QuantumCybin

Bubbles and the Shit Rockers needs to be a real band, with Ged on bass, Alex on guitar, and Bubz on vocals :lol:

11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Love these guys and have nothing but respect for them.

Xiphos68 likes this.
  12. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

They deserve to retire without regret 1000%. They've more than earned it.

BenjaminW likes this.
  13. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

My biggest regret with Rush is never seeing them live. I almost saw them twice but wasn't able to go. At least I have all their albums to listen away to which is equally as great.

14. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I am thankful to have seen them twice; Roll The Bones, & Counterpart.
    I would have treasured seeing them anytime between 74-84.

15. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

Sad to hear they'r calling it quits but good for them. I was a huge Rush fanatic in high school (no wonder I was such a chick magnet :D) and my first concert ever was Counterparts tour with Primus...I was 16, it was a surreal experience wich I cherish and hold dearly as a fond memory of my blossoming youth.
    Anyhow I'm still a chick magnet, and enjoy listening to my Rush discography. Thanks Rush !

BenjaminW likes this.
  16. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I guess I better find a way to be a chick magnet with me being a huge Rush fan!

IGC likes this.
  17. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Alex is the entire reason I got into electric guitar as a young Canadian boy, and I'm thankful I got to see them a few times. A well-deserved retirement for three incredible people.

IGC and QuantumCybin like this.
  18. QuantumCybin

I got to see them twice, and the second time was in 2011, if I recall correctly. It was truly an unforgettable experience; somehow my dad (a hardcore Rush fanatic his entire life to this day) was able to score front row, dead center seats for their face value off of the venue’s website. Row A, seats 1 & 2. As a birthday present, he gave them to me and my best friend. I’ll have to find the small handful of photos I took because I was just too in awe to be staring at my phone the whole show.

To this day, my friend and I keep in touch and we have both always said that concert was the best show we’ve ever been to and without a doubt something we will never, ever forget. I felt like I was in a dream when they started playing La Villa Strangiato because I was obsessed with their live DVD’s and that song in particular for years!

IGC likes this.
  19. QuantumCybin

I reactivated my Facebook just to find them :lol: March 30th, 2011. Quality isn’t great but here’s the imgur link. https://imgur.com/a/vi8E5

First picture is what was behind us when we turned around. Pretty cool and overwhelming!

Such a good time! Memories galore.

20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Love these guys. And I’m quite sure they aren’t done. You don’t do music that well, for that long, and not want to do it again. It just might take some down time. Either way, I could live off their current canon for a long time.

IGC and BenjaminW like this.