Rhythmic Experimentation

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by The Omega Cluster, Apr 19, 2018.

1. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Winspear likes this.
  2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I'm still scratching my head over this one - the examples sound very cool, especially Miwa, but my little brain just isn't comprehending it haha. I'm not sure what's changing, the tempo, the length of the bar? I'm trying to comprehend what "50% of the way between these two notations" means but can't get my head around how you work out how that sounds/what it would look like written. Great blog post though! Perhaps it would be easiest to see it as blocks on a DAW piano roll where we can see 'time' easily.

3. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Great, I see you added it to your blog with explanation. That's really helpful, thanks for taking the time to make that addition. It makes more sense to me now. I wasn't sure where the straight version was coming from but I think I understand it's just created to notate the melody neatly and as a measure to then set the % to. The equation is simple enough and so is doing it visually (though a bit less accurate, probably audibly the same). Excited to try writing with this!

5. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Glad to hear it! This example is a bit awkward because the original song already had a rhythmic pattern going with it, while native microrhythmic compositions (at least those that I've seen) usually start with a theme or motif that is played on notes of equal length. Only then an arbitrary rhythmic pattern is imagined and a percentage value comes with it. I've come from the opposite angle, taking a song that was not microrhythmic and "softening" the existing rhythmic pattern with the same motif played on notes of equal length. I think this makes things more confusing, really. If I knew it beforehand, I would've written a native microrhythmic song instead of morphing one that isn't microrhythmic, but it shows the possibilities of the theory and I think that's a good trade-off.

Winspear likes this.
  6. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

I just added a post about swing rhythm and the larger concept of "uneven notes", which dates back to the middle ages! I've had a lot of fun digging that one.

7. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

bostjan likes this.
  8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Some of the formatting isn't working for my browser (Google Chrome):

In IE, everything appears normal, though:

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

[Math Processing Error] post

10. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

So, is there a tabs variant of this one? I can read music, but I still can't transpose it to the fretboard.

11. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Thanks for mentioning it! It's a plugin for wordpress for math formulas, I use it mostly for musical purpose. I use Chrome and I see it fine, that's weird. Thanks for putting it here though.