Rethinking my noise gates

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mike, Dec 20, 2017.

1. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I tried running 4cm in my Patchmate with bad outcome. First in the set of loops that go in front of my amp (1-4) and then the set of loops that go to amp return (5-8). When i would turn on the 2nd part in the loop my tone would go to shit. But the part of the x pattern in front was fine. Maybe because the Loop 8 has a buffer? A buffer inside a buffer, that's like 16 buffers! But I did it that way because the whole point of having the loop switcher was to get my gate and OD outta my clean channel. But aside from the NS-2 just being in front of my GSP 1101 and amp, it's worked fine. I actually think i wanna just use it in the loop because the gate in the 1101 I've discovered is more than adequate. I would just always leave it one 35-40 and it was never enough. But once I stopped being lazy and delved in and cranked it up to 60 or more on my high gain channels, it's just like an NS-2. Same controls even.

iron blast likes this.
  2. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG SS.org Regular

Used ISP G string for years. Got a Zuul being delivered in next few days. Will report back if anyone is interested?

FILTHnFEAR, lewis and ImBCRichBitch like this.
  3. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

I'm really toying with replacing my ns2 with a zuul I wish I could test one out first.

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I never tried the four cable method (had to actually look it up). I just run my NS-2 in front of the amp and I am perfectly happy with the result.
    Does it make some sort of difference? I haven't noticed any high end loss to be honest, is this a result of the 4 cable method and the longer cable runs?

Also, is it true that older NS-2s sound better than the newer ones? Or is this the typical "older is better" bullshit we find so often on the internet?

5. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG SS.org Regular

Short story....Zuul wins over G string.
    Longer story.....
    The Zuul has a faster clamping action for chug, stacatto etc. And that's saying something because the Decimator G String was very good. The threshold knob can be set much lower on the Zuul for the gating effect. This leaves a better sustain as well. I've read a few statements that the Zuul is just for fast, choppy gating. Not true. It is very transparent, as good or better than ISP and it absolutely can be set to allow for long sustained notes. I find no artifacts, tone loss etc from the Zuul. It powers back on again when you remove the power supply, whereas the ISP did not and you had to press the pedal again. Small issue, but better for my rig as I want it to stay on when I power back up. Zuul seems more forgiving with the 3 cables vs 4 needed for the ISP regarding ground loop hum as well. Again, more so a specific rig set up issue. I have the knob set at about 9 to 10 o'clock for dead silence with very high gain amp and overdrive. The ISP needed about 1 PM to achieve similar. Sensitivity for the Zuul key in seems more smooth. The ISP could be on the edge, like it wasn't sure whether to gate or not and you could get an in between problematic area of the gate opening but with some artifacts. The Zuul is much smoother in this regard with either tight clamping or a smoother opening at lower settings. The Zuul was shipped with a new Duracel 9 volt battery inside. Comes with a few cool Fortin stickers and the little stick on foot pads for the bottom of the pedal. Zuul has the colored LED's for gate action which is another small bonus over ISP. For practical reasons vs cosmetic, the LED is slightly slower to respond than the actual gate action. (milliseconds, but noticeable if you are trying for a visual cue etc)
    Considering they are both about the exact same price (darn high) I would recommend the Zuul for new buyers and a slight improvement over the ISP for current G string owners.
    I am happy I've made the upgrade. I live approx 60 to 90 minutes away from Mike Fortin headquarters in Canada. However, the pedal shipped from Kentucky USA? It took about 5 business days to arrive, but was very inexpensive shipping cost and no duty issues right to my door.
    I hope this helps others with the decision and interest between these 2 great noise reduction options.