Replacement pickups for Strandberg Boden 7

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Brandonparty, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Brandonparty

Brandonparty SS.org Regular

As the title says, I am looking for options for pickups that will work in my Boden 7 (Washburn). Please excuse me if this has been covered, but I did a search and couldn't find anything to help.

Currently I have the Lace X tones which mount via 4 corner screws. These are cool pickups but I am hoping to get more of a vintagey type tone if possible. I am wondering which pickups have similar mounting (if any?) or which pickups don't have the outside dog-ear tab and will fit cleanly into the body of the guitar?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

I've been working on this for a bit as well.

For starters, I don't think there's anything else (that I've found) that uses the 4 corner screw mounting. So you'll need a drill for any other pickups.

The good news is that the Lace size is the same as the standard 7 string soapbars used by a lot of other manufacturers. A slight wrinkle is the slant of the pickups. Most standard 7 string pickups with pole pieces won't line up exactly with the strings. It's slight but can make a difference.

My Boden OS came with the EMG 707x pickups, which (in my opinion) sounded great for metal and were rubbish for anything else. I replaced them with the EMG 59/66 set which is MUCH better in terms of overall tone and dynamics, but still not a home run. I'm still playing with the adjustment on these and may or may not keep them in. The pole pieces on the EMG 59/66 don't line up with the strings exactly but are easily close enough.

That's good because I contacted EMG about getting a slanted set (since I know they make them for the Boden) and the price they gave me was utterly ridiculous. NOT an option!

Other passive options: You can get the bareknuckle black hawks (a blade style pickup with no pole piece alignment issues) for about $400 for a set in the soapbar covers. I liked the demos/samples I've heard. Seymour duncan will build any of their 7 string pups (and possibly others) in a slant soapbar config for about the same price as the stock Bare Knuckles cost. That's through the custom shop so there's a 4-6 week lead time.

So there you go.

What didn't you like about the Lace pups (if you don't mind my asking).

Good luck.

3. Brandonparty

Brandonparty SS.org Regular

Thanks for the feedback here! Glad to hear I am not the only Strandberg owner with this issue. Info on this subject is surprisingly difficult to track down.

I have done a little research during the last week and spoke to the guys at BKP. They sent me a dimension drawing that matches well against the X-bar drawing, so the BKP will fit (as will the soapbar style EMGs etc).

I find the Lace pickups to be much like your experience with the 707s - great with the distortion up, awesome at saturated lead sounds and chugging away, but to clean up, they sound flat and lifeless, which is a shame. I play my Broderick 7 and the Boden 7 back to back and the Dimarzio's in the Broderick just smoke these HARD! (Just my opinion in the basement)

I am not sure if I am ready to pony up for the BKP since the Canadian dollar vs. the British pound is god awful right now. I may keep my eyes open for some soapbar BKPs (Blackhawks would be great) or I may venture to the EMG 57/66 set.

4. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

Sorry to revive this, but I just got a Boden OS7, and I'm thinking about what to switch pickups to. I'm not sure whether to get SD pegasus/sentient slanted or just reuse 57/66 set I have. What did you end up with?

5. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

I went with the 57/66 set, mainly because they were ridiculously easy to swap out with the 707x's. The slant on the Boden pickups is pretty minor (6 and 10 degrees if I remember right) so you don't really need a special set. Std pole piece spacing lines up fine. They sound pretty good. They are a bit noisier than most of my passive sets (not sure why on that one) but I tweaked the input noise gate on my fractal and got that under control. It is very usable. but not ideal.

I'm still considering going with the pegasus/sentient set for a couple of reasons. I think passives will give you better dynamics in most cases. The 57/66 EMG set is much better that the stock pup's but still not as expressive as I'd like. I can't coil tap the 57/66 set. I'd love to replace the 3 way switch with a 5 way and get the tapped settings. More tone options is always better in my book.

So, that's my $.02 (and it might be worth half of that :). I played it out this last weekend and it sounded good. I got several compliments on it. If you're not insanely picky and don't agonize over every little thing, the 57/66 will probably be great.

6. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

Well, I really do like the 57/66 in my other 7 string for high to mid gain. They can sound pretty clean and dynamic, just not single-coil bright. I also get weird feedback with some amp models (Spawn), for which I add a noise gate in axe. I tried to EQ the mids away for tweed sound, but could not.

So, I wanted to be more versatile with this guitar and be able to get more dynamic clean sounds. I think it is set now, that I will have the Pegasus/Sentient slanted set. My ideal was actually custom slanted Juggernauts with brushed nickel soapbar covers from BKP, but the wait time and price seem higher. I'm planning on doing 3 way switch with push/pull coil split. I hope the Pegasus/Sentient do sound good split, I wasn't able to find any good sound clean sound clips, but the Juggernauts seem to have very nice mid/heights. I'll try to make some samples of SDs for this thread when I get them :)