Recommendation on Set List

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by ToneLab, Mar 1, 2018.

1. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

I'm going to start jamming with some guys again and it may lead to a band (completely for fun). We are older dudes but I don't want to play classic rock or hair metal. I'm thinking about fun songs to jam that aren't too easy or too intense. We were also hoping that if it was fun and it worked, the songs would be recognizable enough that we could play live at some bars. Also - not sure of the singer yet so...I know, I know, too many variables. Some representative bands that I would like to play are: Black Sabbath, Metallica, Black Label Society, Clutch, Weezer, Godsmack, Alice in Chains.

Any suggestions or links to set lists would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

I'd recommend picking out some tunes from those bands that are recognizable but not their biggest hits. Personally, I'd pick something from a bit earlier in Clutch's catalog (Big News or Texan Book of the Dead are favorites of mine), Into the Void by Black Sabbath, maybe a Corrosion of Conformity or Down tune ( I LOVE Stone the Crow), that sort of thing.

Also, balance out the setlist with slower and fast songs and decide if you want to include anything resembling a ballad or not so that the pacing of the set is balanced.

Lastly, pick songs that YOU like. If you're not playing covers that you'd want to hear from the audience, you're doing it wrong.