Recommend me some Metroidvania games

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Bloody_Inferno, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I've already got that pile of shame growing but I'm currently hungry for some good old fashioned Metroidvania style games. Preferably of the 2D kind, but I'm open to whatever. I'm not counting Dark Souls/Bloodborne as I've got those covered.

The last Metroidvania game I played was the Strider remake and that was great. I suppose I could just replay Symphony Of The Night and Super Metroid again, but that's too easy to do (also somewhat lightly not counting other Castlevania/Metroid games). So far my on my priority list:

Salt And Sanctuary
    - Basically Dark Souls in 2D so it's on the top of my list

Axiom Verge
    - Super Metroid tribute show

Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon
    - If I can't wait for Ritual Of The Night

Bionic Commando Rearmed
    - NES remake hopefully as good as Strider 2014

Go.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

Dead Cells
    Rogue Legacy
    Sundered

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is NOT a metroidvania game. It's like an NES castlevania game, you're not acquiring new abilities to go through a non-linear world. It's just a series of linear levels with some various items that are only reachable if you use a certain character on the level. I'd compare it to Castlevania 3 or 4. It's fine, but it wasn't really for me. It's only a couple hours long, at least.

You should play the DS and GBA castlevania games, all of them are fantastic and very worthy successors to SOTN. The only one I haven't played multiple times is Circle of the Moon (not a big fan).

4. Bloody_Inferno

I'm seeing Hollow Knight and Dead Cells get recommended a fair bit. I know the latter has some rougelike elements so I'll check them eventually.

I'm ok with Curse of the Moon being a NES CV substitute. It sort of looks like it with the multiple paths a la 3 Dracula's Curse and Rondo Of Blood.

I've already gone through all the handheld Castlevanias. Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are the best of the bunch. Both are great though the latter suffers from typical Nintendo hardware gimmicks being forced down your throat (touchscreen, odd because I liked it in Okami, not so much here) and being way too anime (rich coming from me, but I think Ayami Kojima's style is the best aesthetic the franchise ever had).

Everything other game is give or take, at most times inferior versions of what's already been done. Perhaps I should just go through Aria and Dawn of Sorrow again...

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I think Order of Ecclesia might be the best gameplaywise, it's definitely the hardest. Dawn of Sorrow is kind of the favorite for me as far as just chilling out and levelling/farming goes, it's too easy, and I HATE the "draw the diagram on the enemy to kill it!!!!" mechanic. But, still a great game IMO.

6. KnightBrolaire

Dead Cells is a fantastic game, tight action and controls, lots of weapon combos and there's a constant sense of progression.
    Rogue Legacy is similar in that aspect. death matters, but not quite as much as a true roguelike. You still feel like you're slowly progressing. They're more straight up about their Castlevania influences as far as level design/enemy choices.
    Guacamelee is another great metroidvania.

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Hollow Knight- an excellent game and I cannot recommend it enough for the genre or in general. The hand-drawn art style, the music, the combat, the challenge- it's all so polished. It's also a steal at $15 with all the free DLC on top of dozens of hours of play.

AM2R- a "homebrew" remake of Metroid II using the visual style of the GBA Zero Mission game. Nintendo had it shut down (probably because of their own remake was en route), but it's still very much find-able. It's terrific.

Ori and the Blind Forest- it's in a 2.5D presentation that actual works (typically I hate it) and is simply gorgeous. There's more of a stylized-movement element than combat; in fact, there are no bosses- just frenzied escape sequences in its place.

Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight- it was on a list of highly-rated games and deeply discounted on Steam so I gave it a shot. It's done in an overtly-cute pixel art/quasi-anime style which typically isn't my bag, but it turned out to be a really fun game. There's a hard mode where nearly everything one-shots you, and beating it unlocks a harder mode where definitely everything one-shots you which made it pretty hard, fun, and helped extend the shortness of the game.

8. Bloody_Inferno

I'm seeing Ori And The Blind Forest get thrown around a lot as well, it does look stunning, and I've heard some of the music and it's all great. On the list it is.

I sound like I'm a little down on Dawn, namely by comparing it's glaring flaws to Aria. It's still one of the best in the canon no doubt. Order Of Ecclesia was fun too, reminded me of Simon's Quest but without the excessive bullcrap. I sort of wished the main character wasn't so much of a plank of wood, nor did I have to hold a button to collect souls I mean runes.

Maybe I should just dump the pretense, man up and finally finish Simon's Quest. :lol:

9. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Guacamélé, Apotheon...

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Ori and the Blind Forest is one of the few regrets I have about selling my Xbox. Gorgeous, played great, awesome music.

I keep hearing amazing things about Dead Cells, I may end up getting that myself.

11. KnightBrolaire

you can play ori on PC.

12. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Chasm. Just came out a week or so ago. Been playing the hell out of it.

13. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

It's roughly 7 years old already, but if you haven't played it, I'd recommend Shadow Complex.

14. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Watched my buddy play hollow night and it is amazing. Love the aesthetic.