Recommend me some aggressive as f**k preamps (for under $500)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jul 15, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands WONDERFUL

I'm sure it's a cool pedal, but I'm not lookng for that kinda sound. Same reason I'm not considering the Tight Metal.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That is interesting. I wonder why it doesn't seem to take OD pedals well. Does the MXR 5150 pedal take OD pedals well? I have been watching some vids of it, and it sounds pretty good also. If you are using it direct, I can see why you would prefer a preamp, like AMT over the Bogner or MXR. Yes, I like super heavy boosted Recto, 5150, Modded JCM800 type tones.

To be honest, I dont really need it, lol. I just like screwing with gear. Between an Axe-FX and tube amps, I have plenty of things, but have been into building pedals lately. I used to years ago, but got away from it and sold most of them. I thought about building up a small pedal collection again besides the few I kept from years ago. I was playing with my old modded Metal Zone boosted with an OD808 into the clean channel of my Triple Recto and was amazed at how good it sounded the other day. Made me think about trying some of the newer pedals. The Bogner uses the 4 stage FET design that is fairly new that seems to really emulate amps well. Interested in trying a pedal with that design. The AMT pedals use this type of design also I think. The Amptweaker uses a TL072 style design, like the old Marshall Shredmaster, Jackhammer, Tech 21 GT2, etc...

3. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I'm in the same boat as you are. With the GSP1101 & Pod X3, I can get a tone that I really like. I just like getting a (relatively) cheap pedal to mess around with every now & again just for a change of pace. With the MXR 5150, in all honesty you don't need a boost pedal in front of it. With the "boost" button engaged, you literally get the same result as if you ran an od pedal in front of it. When I use it, I basically just dial up a 'clean' amp on the GSP1101 and run it into that just as if I were using it with a real amp.

As far as the Bogner goes, I'm thinking maybe it's just voiced to sound more like a 'vintage' amp, so that could be why it sounds a bit boomy/mushy to me.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

you genuinely wont get tighter than the E530, especially with a tube swap and the clean channel is one of the best clean channels Ive ever used. The unit takes effects brilliantly too and does not even need a boost infront of it. Find a used one to save $$$ and genuinely just call it a day.

Im like you, Im not really into pedal preamps. And the tube feeling is very present with the ENGL. What tuning are you going to be using?. I would not suggest running standard tuning into the ENGL but anything Drop C and lower, including 7 and 8 strings, is exceptional. Anything higher and it seems too thin unless you have a great poweramp that gives you back balls. By itself the E530 lacks balls. Even bass cranked doesnt feel like there is bass, thats how tight it is, if using standard tuning. You would need something that gives you extra EQ in its effects loop to dial more low end in if you are using a higher tuning.

I run mine 4 cable method with my HD Pro just for effects, so i get pre and post effects blocks that I can add whatever I want.

5. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

The Rockmaster is the only preamp I own (or have owned) that does NOT need a boost pedal. They are great BUT... lack of midi is a pain and they need to have the bias voltage mod to bring them more headroom and punch (otherwise I think they lack some dynamics) very saturated gain though

6. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

Yeah... none of that sounds right... it's clear gain and aggressive but not buzz saw like at all. I do find that the trick is to keep the input Drive at a bit over half and cut 750 - 800Hz quite savagely (in the MESA Mk EQ style)... try a rockmaster though

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I thought maybe the 5150 would clear up some of the fizz if you ran the gain lower, and hit it with a tubescreamer. That is how the amp works, lol. How would you compare the 5150 and the AMT pedals? I always thought maybe they would be too smooth.

Yeah, most Marshall-based products generally go for that old Van Halen type sound. It is hard when you are looking for more of a Demanufacture type sound, lol. I know this well. I have a JCM800 clone I built that is tweaked out for high gain, for those Fear Factory, Slayer, Anthrax, and Coal Chamber type sounds. Many times you can hit those tones still though with an OD and an EQ. Maybe I will just build a BSIABII pedal for more of that vintage Marshall thing. Much cheaper. :)

8. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I've used AMT, ISP Theta, and currently an E530. AMT's legend pedals are great but pretty inflexible. The ISP Theta is without question gnarliest and most brutal, and very amplike. The only thing is that it's best to run it as strictly a doubled gain channel. You can get amazing cleans but it's worth sacrificing them to get more brutality. The E530 has 2 channels that can work as more. The e530 has the least flexible low end, but it's not a problem with the right settings in the sim or a good cab.

lewis and cGoEcYk like this.
  9. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

You said it all. I love my Theta. Killer br00ts for the money (~$200 used sometimes). I agree that the clean preamp module needs to be committed one way or another- either set it as a clean channel or calibrate it to really drive the br00ts.

youngthrasher9 likes this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

When I kept the gain low to medium-high, it would sound perfect. Like an old Recto. Once the gain went passed 60, or I boosted the front end, it sounded like something was getting overloaded and causing the distortion to clip in an unnatural way.

And right now I'm still sold on the Rockmaster, SL/LD, or E530. But I'm also considering the Two Notes Le Lead. Sounds amazing for a little pedal deal. The Theta is also something I once considered, and might still.

And I do play higher than standard a lot. :lol: I mean I tune down from drop C all the way down to like drop F# on my 7-string, but the majority of the time, I'm in standard E - drop C#.

11. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

The E530 is fantastic; that said, you can more or less get the same tones out of the Theta and gnarlier. The gain structure is more shapeable with the Theta, but if you're feeling like Engl, Engl does Engl better than anything else.

12. Spinedriver

I've never had the chance to try any of the AMT pedals in person, so I can't really say much about them either way. I'm sure that an od into the 5150 would work just fine, I was just saying that the built in boost button sounds pretty decent as is. It's the Bogner pedal that has a hard time handling being boosted. That being said, the main reason for getting the Red pedal in the first place was; 1) Mainly the same cool sounding demos on Youtube that you probably saw and 2) I got it for roughly 1/2 of what a new one goes for.

On a side note, I managed to score an old Tech21 GT2 last year and it takes od pedals like a champ.

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Ah, I thought you had an AMT also. It is funny you mention the GT2. That is one of those pedals I have played a thousand times, always liked it, but never owned for some reason. Maybe I should grab one of those cheap, lol. I had the Sansamp PSA-1 rack many years ago, and always liked it. I had the BDDI for years also. I miss that one.

14. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

As far as small portability goes it is hard to beat the Mooer Micro Preamps. There are 10 to choose from but below is a video of 4 of the higher gain versions. I have the Blacknight which is based on an Engl Blackmore and it sounds really good. The best part is how cheap they are, you could find all 4 in the video below and have change from $500.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well, I gotta say the Le Lead is looking better and better.

Unless anyone here has any experience with one?

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Man I'm still considering the Engl, but the lack of low end worries me. I like that low-mid growl Mesas and the Peavey 5150 have, so that worries me about the Engl. And I'm also afraid it won't cut through the mix in a band situation. I'm sure it'll sound amazing recorded, but in a love context, it kinda worries me.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

trust me the ENGL cuts brilliantly when you engage the contour switch on the lead channel that boosts mids (and seems to make it louder too)

basically dial in your desired tone then hit the contour button when using said tone in a band mix situation.
    it cuts brilliantly.
    if you plan to use the engl with a torpedo, then just boost the CAB sim lows using the built in eq.
    If you are going into a poweramp >cab make sure that the poweramp has plenty of low end or just place an EQ pedal in the ENGL effects loop.

Either way solves the lack of low end brilliantly

18. Spinedriver

Tech 21 stuff is really underrated. Put a boost in front of it and an MXR 10 Band eq after the GT2 and you're good to go. As for the BDDI, I had one, sold it to the guy who joined the band I was in several years back and later on I picked up a VT Bass pedal and it's SOOOO much better than the BDDI, it's insane.

19. Spinedriver

If you look above, I have the Bonner Red and it works much better in front of an amp than it does using it directly into a recording interface.

I forgot to post this above but it's the demo that convinced me to take a chance on the GT2.

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That was always my worry about the E530 also..... I always thought it would be too tight, and not bring the big chunk. I dont like amps that are overly tight.

I always found all those years ago when I used all those rack units that I talked about, the sound was always tighter. It was very hard for me to get that big chunky metal sound. I switched to a 5150 around 2001 and suddenly found what I had been missing. I didn't do too much rack again after that, and stuck with heads until the Axe-FX. It is probably different with a massive power amp like a Mesa 2:90, but then you are getting too crazy unless you are playing stadiums.