Recommend me some aggressive as f**k preamps (for under $500)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jul 15, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

So, I'm thinking about making a very condensed rig. I got a Two Notes Torpedo Live, and instead of carrying around a heavy af tube head, I'm thinking about pairing the Two Notes with a preamp. Very simple to carry rig.

I have two preamps in mind. The R&R SL/LD and the Peavey Rockmaster. The Peavey is cheap and has *that* sound, but the SL/LD is supposed to be based on the old '90s Rectos, with a tighter, more aggressive sound than modern rectos. I'm also considering the Engl E530 and the Two Notes LeLead.

Anyone have anything else in mind? Am I missing something?

2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Amptweaker Tightmetal Pro

3. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Are you only wanted rack pres? I love my crate xlp rack pre. Its essentially the ampeg vh140! Very close. If youre into pedal pres then s&k vhd (it IS the gain channel of the vh-140), tightmetal pro, AMT legend pres, tech21 gt2 is awesome. LOVE your greg thumbnail btw!!! What an amazing game that was!

4. TGN

TGN SS.org Regular

There's also TriAxis or StudioPre if you'd like something more in the Mark line of Boogies.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

I wasn't too big on the Studio, and the TriAxis is waaay out of my budget. :lol:

I remember there being some good Crate pres. But I'm not sure if the VH sound is what I'm looking for. :shrug: Also why I'm not considering the Amptweaker stuff. Their higher-gain pedals seem to be in the same vein as the VH series.

6. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

GSP 1101.

Spinedriver likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ENGL E530 then swap the pre amp tubes for Chinese silver dragons.

thank me later

EDIT:
    Gives more gain and more bite!. Seriously great aggression with these tubes

EDIT 2:

Shuguang 12AX7B
    are the tubes

8. TGN

TGN SS.org Regular

If you are not into the Amptweaker stuff, maybe the Egnator Black Metal could be an alternative?

9. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Engl e530 was a great recommendation. Also look into the AMT Stonehead. There are some surprisingly great distortion pedals out there depending on the exact sound you're looking for. Emma Pisdiyauowt, Wampler Dracarys, Okko Dominator, etc...

10. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

IMO the Two Notes adds a lot of aggressiveness to anything high gain already. Whenever I used mine I had to pull back the gain considerably just to make it passable. It was my primary complaint about them. I would say that Mesa would probably have a more fitting Pre- (and I'm kicking myself for my friend selling a Rectifier Recording Pre for $500 ten years ago and not buying it), but by all means, I don't think you'll go wrong with a Rockmaster. You can grab one super cheap and snag a rackmount 16 or 32 band EQ to go with it.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

If I consider the Engl, I'll definitely check this out.

If I go the pedal route, I'm checking out the BE-OD or MXR 5150. I'm honestly kinda iffy with pedals, but I know I'd like those.

I actually am not a fan of those. :lol: I dig the Emma, but even then, I'm not too sure. I know I'll like the Be-OD and MXR.

It's what I'm considering. The Rockmaster goes cheap, which is why I want it. And I know I like the Peavey XXX and 5150II.

12. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I've heard good things about the ISP Theta pre-amp pedal and they go for a decent price.

There's also the AMT Bulava (solid state and tube versions) and Randall RG-13 pedal.

13. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

I just got a Friedman BE-OD last week, I'm absolutely in love with the thing. Works equally well for recording or live use. Probably the first pedal I've ever owned that really sounds and most importantly 'feels' like playing through a cranked tube amp.

14. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

If you want a modern recto tone in a preamp I highly suggest the AMT R2 Preamp. It's my baby.
    I know you're iffy when it comes to pedals, and I know the AMT pedals don't look like much but, I really doubt you would be dissapointed with an R2.

Skip to 30 seconds in

USMarine75 likes this.
  15. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

Rocktron Piranha...

I run this plus 2 x two notes CABS (stereo) sitting on a rack tray with a power supply...

Game over

PBGas and Vince like this.
  16. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

That sounds really good. I actually preferred the sound of the AMT.

Do you know how it's being run in this video? If it's into the Recto's poweramp I don't think it's that accurate of a demo as the Recto poweramp is a big part of the recto sound. But if it's direct or into a solidstate poweramp, then that's amazing.

17. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Here's a video of one being used direct with the cab sim out. My guess as to why there aren't a ton of videos of the AMT pedals is because they aren't exactly easy to come by. There's only a handful of stores in the U.S. & Canada that sell them. Other than that, you have to get them overseas. :\

mnemonic likes this.
  18. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I have an AMT Bulava and an Amptweaker Tightmetal. The Tightmetal is a little higher gain, has little more bite and the built-in noise gate is really useful. But the Bulava has plenty of gain and also has solid clean and crunch channels that you can switch to. I tend to use it more simply because of that flexibility.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Huh, that actually sounds pretty good.

I had a Rocktron Piranha. It sounded good, but I had to get rid of it because it wasn't saturated enough. When I cranked the gain or added a boost, the sound tended to sound like it was being pushed by a fuzz pedal.

You just reminded me they did a rackmount version of the SS10. :lol: Might check that out.

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Since this has become the pedal distortion thread, lol, What about the Bogner Red pedal? I always thought those might sound good with a boost. Maybe not as brutal, but maybe less fake, distortion-pedal sounding?

I have been considering playing with pedals more also. It seems like the modern high gain pedals are actually fairly decent compared to the thin, shrill stuff of the past.