Rareelectricguitars.com?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by TKOA-Dex, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

Hey everyone. So I was curious about this website, rarelectricguitars.com. Yes, the name is off-putting to a lot of us but examining the page it looks like a real business and i have seen some youtube reviews of guitars from the site.

Now why do I ask if this is a legit business? Because, what they do is replicate signature guitars Like the JEM and Universe even to things like Tom Morello's guitars and more. Particularly there, I have found the replica of my dream guitar, an Ibanez JPM 7 string, for around $500 shipped. Now I KNOW they aren't anything special nor are they even close to comparable with the real thing. They have basswood bodies, 3 piece maple necks, chinese parts and pickups, etc. My goal in this really, is to get a JPM without having to spend $3000 to buy a stupidly worn one off of craigslist or something. I would eventually upgrade it. Put an OFR in it, Dimarzio pickups, etc. I just want a JPM!

So please, if anyone has dealt with these guys before or has heard of them, let me know!

This is the specific guitar I am looking at, by the way. John Petrucci Ibanez JPM P7 7 strings price:$428 - Electric Guitars for sale

2. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

I'm sure it's legit if you don't care that the guitar will probably be an unplayable knockoff. If you're just gonna hang it on the wall then it's probably good enough.

3. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

Ah, you don't think even with some TLC it will be playable? I hoped to play it. :p

I would most likely upgrade pickups, trem, tuners, and whatever else needs it.

4. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

I wouldn't ever buy one, out of principle, BUT...

My friend showed me his replica JEM that he got off this site (I think it was the shop you listed, it had a very similar name)about a year ago... I was absolutely shocked. He had it set up by a shit-hot luthier in the UK with swapped out pups & electronics, but I kept saying to him"it's obviously not a replica, you just don't want to admit to your gf you blew 2 grand on the real thing". The paint work and everything was just spot on, and sounded phenomenal!

I've played many JEMs(admittedly never owned one) and it fooled me bigtime. Don't know if that helps.

5. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

It does, thank you JustMac. I need to find out more though I guess. Otherwise I guess I could find someone who would professionally paint the JPM design on a normal black RG. :p

6. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

Avast acused the page as virus as soon as I clicked...

7. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

Well that helps, hahah.

8. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Every time I see someone ask about this site, they are a brand new user. Then, after a day or two, they are never heard from again....weird.

9. Black43

Black43 Hated Ibanezes once

Maybe a rep from rareelectricguitars.com took care of him...
    "he's not with us anymore"

10. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

if your going to put that much money into it you might as well just lurk the used market for ad actually good guitar for the same/ less money.

11. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

Hah, well I plan to stick around so stay away evil rareelectricguitars reps!

And yeah that's true. Like I said, at this point I think if I reeeeeally want a JPM I would just have to get a black RG professionally painted.

12. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Oops, didn't even realize you were talking about a jpm. In that case you probably would spend less by getting the linked guitar+upgrades than if you wanted the real deal, but you'll be way better off buying a used rg and modding it yourself.

13. Connor

Connor Guy

They've been around for a long time, I remember reading on one forum that the build quality was surprisingly decent. Just needed a proper setup. (and it wasn't made out of the woods that were described)
    Bottom line is - you get what you pay for. Payment seems to be via PayPal so at least its safe and you should get a guitar at the end of the day otherwise you can dispute it.

I might buy one for shits and gigs and let the forums know what $500 will get them haha

14. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

Well if you do, let us know!

15. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I'd like to see someone buy one and do a complete tear-down. I've seen it done on jemsite to a Chinese JEM ripoff. It had a 3 piece neck but the pieces were different lengths into the neck pocket and a single huge swimming pool route for a pickup cavity.

16. Connor

Connor Guy

I did it... I think. When clicking "Proceed with order via PayPal" I expected to be directed to PayPal to enter my details, however it said something in chinglish about getting an email within 24 hours for payment.
    We shall see! I'm going to create a thread in the Seven String section as it is a JEM UV777 after I've done that I'll probably create a thread in the luthiery section with a complete disassembly.
    I'll PM you with the results OP haha

Here's the thread. Guitar has been paid for via PayPal so I'm fully covered. Let the journey begin.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  17. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

Hahah, oh god! And so it begins! Well I'll be certainly interested to see what it is like! And best of wishes that it is actually a decent guitar and not a waste of $500!

18. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

They've already brought this site up on a legitimate forum and it seems that they're either building copies of guitars (fraudulent) or advertising guitars for sale they don't actually own (also fraudulent):

Beware rareelectricguitar.com - The Gear Page

Again, I have to say it.... why the fuck would you want to support those shady douchebags? :scratch: $400 + all the hardware you're going to have to replace leaves you with STILL having paid $400 for a shitty guitar and then replacing all the hardware later. If you're on a budget, buy a decent quality used guitar that you know won't be a POS. No point in supporting a shady ass company from China building knock-offs. This is why there are so many of these pieces of shit floating around the market, and people who don't know enough about what they're buying are getting scammed left and right thinking they bought a legit JEM and finding out later it was a Chibanez that they overpaid for. :flame: Stop supporting garbage knock-off factories and eventually they'll go out of business. :shrug:

19. Connor

Connor Guy

Valid point. Contacting them and PayPal now, I guess I jumped on it pretty quick and it reminds me of a time I was sold an "Epiphone Black Beauty" which turned out to be a horrible copy.

Matt, you're so wise.

20. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Good deal man. Like I said, I've seen this scenario play out several times where people on here and other guitar forums have bought from similar sites and it always ends up a trainwreck. They might sell you something with knock-off hardware that LOOKS the same but is made out of crappy materials, so at the end of the day you'll have spent $500 on something that looks legit but is a total turd. :lol: You can only fight them with PayPal if the guitar used obviously fake-looking parts, and those folks are getting better at making them look legit, just using crap materials like pot metal and whatnot so you'll probably end up having a hard time getting the full refund if that's the case. Good call on getting out before you get started, like I said there is no point in supporting companies like this, so you're doing the right thing. :agreed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.