Quick Question About Fishman Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Webmaestro, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

There's a used 8-string I'm interested in buying that's a double-bonus because one of the previous owners installed Fishman Fluence pups (which I've been wanting). However, the owner doesn't know exactly which model they are (Abasi, Modern, etc).

Is the model # printed under the pup as it often is with other pickups? The seller is squeamish about unscrewing the pups and looking (I've no idea why, but some people are freaked out by this stuff), so I may just buy the thing and check once it gets here.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

yeah it should say which model it is on the pcb on the bottom of the pickups

LeviathanKiller and Webmaestro like this.
  3. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

4. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Hey I also have something to add on. I remember watching a video of a guy installing some fishmans and he said that there was something that you have to additionally get? It is something that isn't included with the fishmans, like something for grounding?

5. KnightBrolaire

nope, everything is included with the sets unless you buy em used.

6. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

The model of the pickup can be found on the underside, and yes the pickups need to be grounded. If they were installed correctly this should have been taken care of already.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm guessing a lot of active-loaded guitars don't have the ground installed to the bridge because they don't need it. So you'll need to do it yourself IF it wasn't done already.

But yeah, Fishmans come stock with everything. You'll just need extra wire.

8. Webmaestro

Funny, I think I just watched the installation video that you might be referring to. They guy was swapping out his EMG's for Fishmans in his Strandberg, and there was no existing bridge ground (because the guitar came stock with EMG's). So, poor guy had to drill a (not so clean) hole in his 'Berg to accommodate the ground. Sure, it was under the string saddle but dang, it was a little painful to watch.

Fishman's do indeed have a bridge ground, so it's possible some drilling might be involved, depending on what kind of guitar you're working with.

9. Webmaestro

Yep, that's pretty damn unambiguous. I found similar pics after posting this thread. I keep forgetting there's this thing called Google.

10. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

That's what I though but I'm seeing this less and less these days. All 4 of my recent guitars with actives have had the ground already in place much to my surprise!

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

that's how it should be honestly. Installing a ground wires takes all of a minute or two provided the hole is already drilled from the bridge to the cavity.

12. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

How would i go about putting a ground thing in the guitar? The guitar i will be putting Fishmansin will have passives in it before so not an issue now, but would like to know how to do so if i find these things to be better than the actives my other guitars.

Noob question that willprobably make me look like a retard, but can you give me some examples of what a ground would be in a guitars cavity??

13. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

The ground is the wire that comes from under the bridge to the volume or the tremolo claw to the volume, then to the jack.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

You drill a hole from the control cavity, to either one of the holes for the bridge post (ToM), to one of the string-thru holes (hardtail), or as Max said, to the rear tremolo cavity (tremolo-loaded guitar). I had to do that to a PRS Torero that had no ground.

15. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Actually wild you posted this, I have a Torero that currently has EMGs (had SD Blackouts) and I wasn't feeling them as much as I thought I would, so I am switching it to a Nazgul/Sentient set I picked up recently. I also need to drill a hole for the ground wire, did you just go straight from around the volume pot to the trem cavity?

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

[​IMG]

What I did was still a hole straight from the trem cAvity to the control cavity. I kinda recesssed a little channel on the lip of the cAvity then drilled the hole throigh the end of the channel straight into the control cavity.

17. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Nice!

I'm going to find a super long bit and try to do it all in one go from the cavity

18. ptxxx

ptxxx SS.org Regular

Good luck, and dont forget to punch an indentation where your going to drill. Dont want that thing walking on the paint.

Matt08642 likes this.
  19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah, but if you have a Torero, you have a back cavity to cover the fuckup. :lol: