questions about a PSN account for a PS4

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Santuzzo, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I'm a PS4 noob, so please bear with me and my question(s): I just opened a PSN account, before I was just playing without one, using a user account on my PS4, but now since I opened a PSN account my PS4 user account got replaced by my PSN account. I realize that in order to play games online I need to buy a subscription which I don't want to do. What would be the benefit of me having a PSN account if I don't intend to play online at all? And can I close that PSN account and get my offline PS4 user account back that I had on my PS4?

Thanks in advance,
    Lars

2. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Short answer: No. Once you create a PSN account it exists for ever.

You only need PS+ for online multiplayer, but if you plan to use streaming services or purchase games, DLC, videos, etc then you'll need an account.

Santuzzo likes this.
  3. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    I only created the PSN account as some of my games came with codes for bonus content that could only be redeemed through a PSN account.
    I realize the PSN account as such can't be deleted, but can I delete it from my PS4 and get back to my previous 'offline' PS4 user account?
    I guess if all fails I could always do a factory reset on my PS4?

4. Carrion Rocket

You can delete the account from the system, but I believe you'll lose access to that downloaded content as well as it's registered/tied to the account it was downloaded with. And if the PSN account overwrote the original account then you could just deactivate the system from the account. Otherwise I believe you'd just have to make a whole new offline only account on the system.

Santuzzo likes this.
  5. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks again!
    If deleting the account from my system will cause me to lose access to the downloaded content then I probably better keep the PSN account and maybe create an offline account as an additional account.
    What do you mean by 'deactivate the system from the account'?

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Keep the PSN account. It’s worth having over a non-PSN account the DLC stuff alone. But also if you DO subcribe to PSN, you get two free games per month. Last month I know Deus Ex Mankind Divided was one. So over the course of a year along with online play you get a decent value if you’re not that picky a gamer.

Santuzzo likes this.
  7. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thank you. So, you're saying it's worth keeping the PSN account even if I don't subscribe to PS+?
    Oh, and what's DLC stand for?

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

1) yes. All your content and trophies are tied to it. So if it breaks/you replace the console, all your records/content you’ve purchased are saved and can be redownloaded

2) Downloadable Content, extra characters, levels, armor, story content that one can purchase on the PSN store. Often times buying a new game will bet you a cool hat or something small in-game. So may as well have the account.

Santuzzo likes this.
  9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks!
    Ok, I see, the downloadable content is basically what I opened a PSN account for to begin with, I got Star Wars Battlefront 1 and it came with a code for bonus game content, and a PSN account was the only way to redeem that code.

Mathemagician likes this.
  10. Carrion Rocket

There's an option in the account settings to basically cut the system off from the account associated with it if you reach the number of devices your account can be associated with or if you eventually sell the system.

Santuzzo likes this.
  11. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

ok, got it!
    thanks!