Question: What tools do you use to remember and organize song ideas?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by dbrozz, Jul 7, 2018.

1. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

Besides your DAW, of course.
    I'm asking this on behalf of a friend.

"I'm curious what kind of tools other musicians are using to help with the process of remembering song ideas. Currently, when I am playing the guitar and come up with a riff I like, I record it on my phone. The good and bad of this though is that now my phone has hundreds of sound clips with no organization. Anyone have better ways for capturing inspiration?"

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

For the first 5 years or so I used Microsoft Word. I had to write parts that were memorable enough and play them over and over which really refined them in the process. It's still easily the best way to write I think, unless you're in that twilighty just-going-to-bed phase where I'd reach for my phone and just hum a voice memo. I think there's science to show that ideas you get right before falling asleep are the next to impossible to remember the next day, so I don't trust myself with remembering a late-night song idea unless I hum it into my phone.

- edit - To organize, why not just name them?

3. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

Video myself playing the idea. Helps with remembering notes and rhythms to

Strobe likes this.
  4. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Yep. Video the riffs. I also have guitar pro, which is a tab software that can play back in MIDI - that's awesome but kind of slow if it's complicated with a lot of rhythm changes.