Question about Chuck's setup

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by silverabyss, May 15, 2018.

1. silverabyss

silverabyss

So we all know, BCR Stealth, X2N, Valvestate 8100. Yeah.

But what I want to know is, did he have one setting for both riffing and leads? Did he boost for leads or have a footswitch?

Because SoP and Symbolic still sound damned good after all these years and he used such a simple setup for all of those tones. Did he just roll the volume off for the cleans in Crystal Mountain?

2. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

The Valvestate 8100 had a clean channel, and two drive channels (well, shared EQ, but...), so I'm sure he used the clean for his, well, clean. I don't recall him having a solo boost.

Kyle Jordan and silverabyss like this.
  3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I never saw any lead boost on any video I have watched. He did seem to change the EQ between songs to approximate different time periods.

On the records it sounded like he used a Chorus on leads sometimes, I think he used a Boss SD-1 when he used a JCM800, but I have not heard of anything else.

Kyle Jordan and silverabyss like this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

When he'd play Crystal Mountain live, he'd just play that clean part with the gain full out. No rolling back the volume or anything. Also looked AND sounded like he never changed sounds when he went to do leads. It's all just one sound he stuck with.

It's worth nothing Chuck used one of the loudest passive pickups ever made :lol: so there's a good chance he used the clean channel and it broke up from the output. Or he intentionally went for that gritty clean sound.

5. silverabyss

silverabyss

Yeah In Ola's video it sounds fairly broken up and gnarly when he picks that arpeggiation

6. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Chuck=a god

Chiba666 likes this.