PUP Suggestions for Northern Ash

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by khm, Mar 29, 2018.

1. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Hi folks, I was hoping someone with a more experience than me (which is pretty easy) could throw some suggestions my way.

I currently have a Guitar which is Northern Ash (thin body but heavy), Maple Wenge neck and Ebony fretboard.

I currently have A-Bomb in the bridge and a VHII in the neck. Now for metal this works well, cuts through the mix perfectly, but I am looking for something a little warmer. The VHII sounds warm in both my Mahogany and Basswood guitars, but for some reason it just lacks depth and warmth in this guitar.

The type of music I play is dream theatre, Vinnie Moore, Satch etc so I guess I am looking for some thing that rounds the sound off more. the neck needs to be articulate (for fast sweeps, alt picking) but still retain the 'glassy tone (which it has in my other guitars!)

Bridge.. I love the sound of the Tonezone in my basswood guitars, and I have a Lawrence XL500 in my mahogany, and I love that as well.

Any suggestions welcome, brands I am not fussed about only the sound :)

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

holy diver and cold sweat neck. nothing beats the cold sweat neck imo. It has this wonderful liquidy and smooth sound to sweeps/legato that not many other pickups do. The holy diver will help beef up the sound of the ash body and it has a warmer high end. The holy diver can cover a lot of tonal ground, especially in combination with the cold sweat. HD will do pretty much any form of metal/rock and works for blues/other stuff if needed too.

khm likes this.
  3. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Hi Knight, thanks for the input buddy! I will look into that, as have always been happy with BKP up until this guitar! :D From what you describe it sounds like what I need, hard ash really does seem to be a very specific wood as far as tone goes.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

ash in general tends to work better with warmer pickups. Another option would be the impulse set. it's pretty balanced eq-wise and shouldn't be too bright.

5. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Thanks man, will investigate!

Just hope BKP hold their value, as this could end up being a very expensive adventure without an end in site :D

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The VHII is one of my favorite neck pickups ever, but I will agree with Knight that the Cold Sweat neck would be a good fit for what you described. It's a bit warmer, more liquidy for lead playing, and still retains plenty of that nice articulation the VHII has.

I've also had an A-Bomb in one of my guitars, though my preference is usually for pickups tighter and brighter than that. I love the C-Pig, though that may a bit too modern/aggressive for what you're going for. The A-Pig may be good :2c: I have no experience with the Holy Diver, but it looks like a good match on paper.

I would also look into the Dimarzio Illumimators. They seem fairly warm and mid-forward in demos, plus you mentioned Dream Theater in your initial description anyway

7. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info dude , Much appreciated! I had looked into the Illuminators but I think they where designed around basswood bodies ? I have a few basswood guitars and tbh most things sound great in them (including my current nailbomb and vhii) so concerned that they would end up sounding not quite right in my northern ash as well !

Am sorely tempted by the cold sweat (I can kinda live with the nail.bomb for now) but I keep forgetting how much BKP has upped their prices over the years !!

8. Prude

Prude SS.org Regular

Im looking into the Illuminators, gravity storm or maybe holy divers in my ash body, maple neck/fretboard aswell, but havent been able to decide which set to go with. I like warm highs but not too sharp. Which pickup did you choose for your guitar?