PRS Multiscale 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MSUspartans777, Jun 4, 2017.

1. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

You can believe me or not believe me, it doesn't matter to me. I was just relaying info that was told to me by people at PRS who are actually building this guitar. I guess I should have checked the information with all the randos on here to make sure it was legit...

Everyone seems to be focusing on the multi-scale portion of the equation when considering how long it took. It takes that long because (as Max said) they're going to make 1000% sure the guitar LOOKS and PLAYS worthy of something carrying the PRS name before it goes out the door. It's not like they sat there staring at the CNC programming machine for 11 months trying to figure out how to fan the frets...

2. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

You realize a company like PRS actually does all those trials and tests in CNC, right?

3. ampjunkie

ampjunkie SS.org Regular

Yes, but it still seems like 1 year to make sure the guitar is 1000% perfect is a long time, given that they have been making PS guitars for a long time now. Or maybe the focus has been more on custom inlays, exotic woods, and finishes (i.e. bling aesthetics) and not the actual things that can make a 7-string guitar sound and play better -- like the scale length. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  4. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Can confirm that this guitar had been in dev for over a year.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It takes a year for some builders to send out a turd. Not sure why folks think 1 year is anything close to a long stretch of time in the world of guitar development.

It took Ibanez two years to develop the RG2228 and they had already built half a dozen 8 strings by then.

Until very recently the development of new guitars wasn't really something the general public was privy to. As stated, a year is not especially long.

Millul and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  6. ampjunkie

ampjunkie SS.org Regular

In my opinion, one year seems long because:
    [1] It's PRS and they probably have a lot of resources, even in the PS realm. As mentioned before, they crank out quite a bit, and the serial numbers are already 5000+. It isn't a one-man operation. Yes, there are luthiers putting out turds after 1 year. But they aren't PRS.

[2] The 7-string shown doesn't look like something dramatically different than what they are already producing. Is it a completely new body, neck shape, construction, etc. ? Does not appear so. PRS have already done 7-strings too. It sounds like only a multi-scale change. That is not major development that takes 1 year in my opinion.

If you are talking about developing a new model -- new body, headstock, construction, materials, etc. Then yes -- 1 year is reasonable. especially if you are ALSO gearing up for it to be mass produced. It takes quite a bit of time to make sure the production line is set up correctly. But my understanding is this is a one-off and won't be headed to PS production as an option. I certainly hope that it is a future option, however. And that the CNC has been programmed so that many scales are possible.

Maybe it did take a year for development and we don't know what else went on behind the scenes. Maybe it was not just the CNC but other things?

Take a look at this guitar below: development and execution less than 1 year and infinitely more complicated. One-of-a kind. No CNC except for the multi-scale fret cuts (!). Done by one guy. Not a turd. :)

Sankey Cold Fusion Archtop
    [​IMG]

Insomnia and nikt like this.
  7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

You've said the same thing about four or five times, we get it and grasp your opinion, but enough already.

Insomnia likes this.
  8. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

If we want to talk resources, why not circle back to Ibanez / Jackson / Fender / ESP etc, who still come with very long wait times on a custom build?
    Even LACS builds take a while, and those are for artists and not even open to the public. I love PRS but surely they don't outshine ESP in the resource department, and I remember waiting for Feraledge's Horizon; nothing special in the spec department, all things they've done before- and yet that guitar took over a year to complete. The big names take a very, very long time because turnaround time isn't quite as important to them. Getting a build completed in a timely fashion is much more important to a smaller builder because that's their source of income. These guys have production models on the shelves of every GuitarCenter.

Which is all entirely irrelevant anyway if the buyer doesn't care. The only person that should even be talking about dev time is the buyer, lol.

Although at this point I think we're just splitting hairs, really.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Is not a fact.

People are giving you facts and relevant real world examples and you just seem to ignore them. :shrug:

How long should it take to prepare for a $15k guitar you've never built before?

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

And Rev2010 and drgordonfreeman here both waited over 2 years for their Jackson kellys. Rev2010's was more adventurous spec-wise and drgordonfreeman's was more conservative.

11. ampjunkie

ampjunkie SS.org Regular

I think there's some miscommunication. I am not questioning that it can take a year or more in new guitar development. That is certain in many examples given. It was said in a previous post that the CNC programming took a year. That's what I don't quite believe.

A moderator already told me to stop the discussion, so i guess I will leave it at that ...

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yup I know. reason why my comment. And I believe that was the "one year" thing. The original post made it look like that one guitar cnc programming took a year. When in reality it could have been that the development (which includes the cnc programing and test and fine tunnings and mroe dummy builds and re-programing of it) took that time. That or the whole build jsut took a year which for a PS PRS seems right (no idea how long they do take to make)

also the one getting build for Brian's Guitar is a CU24 shape. The one in the OP seemed different like the S2 Vela someone mention

[​IMG]

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

PRS himself said (IIRC in the 594 product vid?) that he spent 2 years perfecting the current taper on the volume pot.

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

From prototyping to commercial release it can take years for companies to release even basic guitars. By the the time most companies jumped on the 7 bandwagon they were too late finding out that 707s weren't popular anymore and stubbornly had to go back and rethink pickups.

After prototyping it took Ibanez almost 2 years before the RG652 Koa Brown was commercially available.

15. BlueTrident

BlueTrident SS.org Regular

To be fair in the case of ESP, it's the waiting list more than the build

16. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

17. sezna

sezna undermotivated

^ pretty sure this is the one we were all looking at.

Also, is that knob placement normal for a PRS? I've actually only had very limited experience with PRS, so I'm not sure, but they look like they're in a weird place.

Also, that sale price converts to ~$20k USD lol

Insomnia likes this.
  18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I thought this thing was specced by someone to their exact personal special specifications. how is it up for sale already.

Until I am proven otherwise I will have no choice but to believe that 24.75 -25.5 is bad and will always be bad.

19. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

What's wrong with 24.75 -25.5? Just because most on this board are obsessed with longer scale lengths doesn't mean they are objectively better, or anything else is inferior.

Ludgate and xzacx like this.
  20. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Well the guy that had this lovingly specced hated it so much he sent it as far away from america as possible to the land of small handed people and then quit music forever*

*conjecture.