Protone and Misha's sig pedal are no more

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mattykoda, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

From protones website:

After 4 years of amazing transformation and variations, the Misha Mansoor signature line of pedals from Pro Tone Pedals is coming to an end.

Dennis and his team will lovingly complete handcrafting the final few dozen units before saying goodbye forever.

The Mansoor line of overdrive pedals (Attack, Deluxe, and Variable Attack) has been the foundation of the modern progressive metal tone and has been loved by legends and future legends alike. Users of the Bulb line include Volumes, The Acacia Strain, Brendon Small, Memphis May Fire, Living Colour, and countless more.

When it went into production in 2012, the Bulb Overdrive solidified Misha’s position as the modern leader in progressive metal tone. Crafted to fit his demanding needs, the Pro Tone Pedals Bulb Overdrive has continued to evolve over the years to move as Misha’s needs progressed.
    Be very clear, Pro Tone Pedals is retiring these signatures models forever. Limited quantities are available directly through ProTonePedals.com. There will be no retirement sale. These are the last of their kind. Don’t wait.

If you are short of cash we would highly recommend you reserve yours by using our payment plan option
    While Misha goes back to the experimentation that has always set him apart from his peers, Pro Tone Pedals will continue our own sonic experimenting to expand the art of guitar effects pedals.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

tbh Im not surprised, werent they really poorly made with bad customer service and yet really expensive?. Or am I mistaking these dudes for some other company?

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm surprised it took this long, to be honest. Given the bad word of mouth that's been spreading the passed year or so due to their quality.

4. ConstantSea

ConstantSea SS.org Regular

I think you're right

5. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Prepare for the arguably overpriced OD pedals to get even more expensive.

6. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Oh no what a loss, it's not like other boutique builders make better/cheaper tubescreamer variants or anything :lol: with all the negativity surrounding protone I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I'd love to hear Misha's side of this, or any reason for the split for that matter. The article does a good job of building hype for the pedals and Misha himself, but doesn't give any relevant info about the split other than that it's happening :shrug:

8. MrYakob

MrYakob SS.org Regular

I don't think he'd ever hang out any potential dirty laundry, but there was a loot of heat on ProTone for shoddy QC, poor communication, long lead times.. I'm in the camp that is surprised it took this long for the split.

9. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

I can only hope that Misha collaborates with Dunlop/MXR. Yes, I know Dunlop/MXR is not as cool as other boutique companies but MXR will be able to offer his sig pedal worldwide easily (without all that wait time BS) and somewhat guaranteed MXR quality and tone will be delivered.

10. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

Misha seems to be to be a fairly discerning individual, and seems to have fairly high standards. That said, this does not equate to what I would consider high quality:

[​IMG]

I agree, what took so long.

11. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I can't and won't try to speak for him but these types of things usually have a contract. My guess would be that the contract expired and for whatever reason, one of the parties did not want to extend it.

12. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

Last time I looked these guys were making the pedals to own, everyone wanted one. I looked at their website again last week for the first time in probably 2 years and it seems they've got next to nothing in terms of their range left. They do have the look of a company that is going under.

13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

That will happen when you charge premium prices while using the cheapest components money can buy :lol:

14. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

So glad I just got my variable attack

15. beneharris

Its never a good sign when the second or third option is about a payment plan, and every sort of correspondence from the owner has this crap in it "If you are short of cash we would highly recommend you reserve yours by using our payment plan option"

16. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Yeah I was in the first run and it took 3 months to get my pedal. I sent an email just asking for an update and it was oh your order must have slipped through the cracks.... It did get shipped out right away and I honestly have nothing to complain about with some of the horror stories from customers on here. That 3 months seems petty almost for a few other members.

Agreed. I remember Misha posting a video about their customer service improvements and at that time it seemed like a help me act for protone. As bnzboy said I think it would be cool if he collaborates with Dunlop.

17. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

I don't understand what you are complaining about. That thing looks clean to me.... Cleaner than most low volume hand-wired stuff.

18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

It's the cheap components on a $300 pedal that bother a few people :lol:

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

not sure he was griping about how clean the soldering was and how neat the internals looked, but more that the components are super cheap/bad.

could be wrong though

20. beneharris

That is cheap as cheap can get. Etched PCB, not even a real fabricated one. Wires going everywhere, no tension relief anywhere. Cheap, cheap cheap pots, and jacks. Its all just really bad. Then you factor in the cost, its insane.

Just for a reference, here is a pedal made by a builder who, might not be quite the size protone is, but you can go and order from him just the same. Same "quality" as protone claims to have.

[​IMG]

And just for more reference, here is my first 2 effects in 1 pedal, that I built well over a year ago.

[​IMG]

Notice similarities? :lol: I have wires going every which way, and those are all better components than what you get in the $200 plus protone. You might not ever have an issue with the way he builds things. But my argument is, for the amount he is charging, his stuff is total poo. And the ego on the guy to be able to charge as much as he did for that misha pedal, and let it look like that? With crooked waterslides? Yuck.