Practise amps that aren't digital modellers?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by gnoll, Feb 5, 2018.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I need the 5150 and my 4x12 for band stuff, and only a 2x12 is leftover :(

2. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

I'm late to the party here, but...

How about an old used Mesa Subway Rocket, with an OD pedal in front if you want more gain, and an attenuator between the power and cab if you need less volume? They are going for about $550 on Reverb right now, and you could probably talk one of the sellers down to the $450-$500 range.

Sure, it's not an Engl or a Recto in terms of gain, but they can get pretty spicy when you drive them, even without an OD in front. The Subway Rockets have that typical Mesa mid-forward tone, and so they sound great when recorded as well. With the right guitar pickups, and settings and mic technique, you can make the 10' SubwayRocket sound like a stack of amps... no kidding!

Alternatively if you wanted a 12', you could ramp up to a used Mesa .50 caliber or Dual Caliber DC-5. Those are running about $650 on Reverb.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I do indeed have one. They are absolutely brilliant for home practice/studio use. They pair great with top quality IR's and take different preamp tubes for different flavours very easily.

The clean channel with the bright switch is incredibly chimey and with some small work, the rhythm and lead channels will do anything from 80s Maiden all the way to tight tight modern metal. It pairs brilliantly with effects too.
    Very very cool for studio use.

also, the built in 1w poweramp is surprisingly loud enough for home practice.
    all in all excellent value for money. Would give it a solid 8/10 just for how diverse and well built the unit is.

I cant wait to try mine with some single coils.

billinder33 likes this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Bring the 5150 home. Case closed, money saved. Bam.

5. PFlynn

PFlynn SS.org Regular

See if you can try out a Marshall Valvestate. They're usually a bit more diverse sounding than the MG's, you can usually find one in the $100 range, and they love pedals.

Some of the higher wattage ones are hybrids that have a 12AX7 pre amp tube, if interests you.

I've been using the same VS15R since I was 12 and it's been a tank. I also have a hybrid 8040, 'cause GAS, but it's pretty cool too. The VS series, or valvestate 2, would be the ones to look for. (Mid to late 90s).

6. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Actually a Valvestate might not be a bad idea! I didn't think about those, thanks!

PFlynn likes this.
  7. PFlynn

PFlynn SS.org Regular

Yea dude, hope you can try one out. Honestly, I tend to buy all kinds of random pedals just to use on mine. Keeps practicing fun too.

8. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I'm still using a Digitech GSP1101 into a PA speaker for bedroom-level playing, or headphones for late night practice.

It has some annoying picking response dynamics that I don't like, but I generally love the Mark IV and JCM800 models in that thing and I can load IRs. It's old, and unsupported, and I've broken several knobs off of it, but for this purpose it's pretty hard to beat until you spend several thousands on an AxeFx, Kemper, Helix, and whatever foot controller you need.

I wouldn't write off digital modeling gear now, especially if you can load IRs into it. That makes a world of difference.